Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes making me sick

I had RNY on Tuesday and was doing really well in the hospital. I walked a lot and found it easy to get in my Protein and Water. Now that I’m home though, it’s a different story. Even the thought of a Protein Shake makes me want to throw up. I’m handling crystal light and Jello okay, but don’t know what to do about protein. I’ve been taking my nausea meds too, but they don’t seem to be helping. Help!

Which Protein Shake are you using? It is common to become lactose intolerant even if just temporary post op. You may want to try something different like Syntrax or Unjury. I use Syntrax with no problems at all. The chocolate truffle is very good and not overly sweet.

Very important to get your Protein in so that you can heal.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I’ll have to try those. My doctor was super specific and wanted me on Celebrate 4 in one. It has Vitamins in it, but that may be the part making me gag. I’ve got to do something at this point though.

1 hour ago, lo.la said:

I had RNY on Tuesday and was doing really well in the hospital. I walked a lot and found it easy to get in my Protein and Water. Now that I’m home though, it’s a different story. Even the thought of a Protein Shake makes me want to throw up. I’m handling crystal light and Jello okay, but don’t know what to do about Protein. I’ve been taking my nausea meds too, but they don’t seem to be helping. Help!

I got Bodiez unflavoured Protein Powder. I can add it to Soups and drinks. They also do flavoured protein waters.

Hi Gabs21, I know it's hard believe me I'm that patient that if something can go wrong it will. Focus on little sips of Protein try Premier Protein I know that specific protein is easier to get down. Focus on fluids try poweraid zero I found that goes down smoother than Water odd right but it does. I hope this helps please reach out if you have any questions or just need an ear to listen.

11 hours ago, jules1 said:

I got Bodiez unflavoured Protein Powder. I can add it to Soups and drinks. They also do flavoured Protein waters.

Hi Jules1, I know it's hard to get protein in. Try Premier Protein its sold at costco, Sams club. It's cheapest at those two locations. It's been the best protein for bariatric patients right after surgery. Also try power aid zero I found that it went down smoother than Water. I hope this helps plus the Premier protein test is really good, they have vanilla, chocolate, caramel, strawberries and cream, Cookies and cream, and peaches and cream flavors.

I was also a big fan of the Premier Protein. I've tried chocolate, strawberry, and banana. They've all been great! I've had issues in the past with Protein Shakes making me feel sick to my stomach, but no problems yet with this one!

35 minutes ago, angiec76 said:

I had my surgery Tuesday. I was told Clear Liquids only until my visit with the doctor. Can I have Premier Protein shakes this early?

All plans are different, and some advance to the next stages more quickly, but if your doctor only has you on clear liquids right now, then no, you probably can't have Premier Protein (or any other) shakes at this point.

Edited by istytehcrawk

All plans are different, and some advance to the next stages more quickly, but if your doctor only has you on Clear Liquids right now, then no, you probably can't have Premier Protein (or any other) shakes at this point.

Bodiez do protien Water in kiwi fruit and other flavours. Apple juice also counts in clear liquid though it isn't protien of course

I only ever drank a few after surgery, for the first week post op. I couldnt stand them. Im allergic to dairy and the plant Protein Shakes were nasty. So far labwork showing enough Protein, but not sure how that was possible. Im looking for other sources right now because i know sooner or later the labs will show a deficiency. Im 90 days out from surgery give or take.