Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I wanted to share my journey that involved highs, lows and severe gutter blows. I have been overweight for about 10 yrs and gradually became obese before I knew it. I knew when I saw a pic of myself, I did not know that person That was photographed with my family...Who was that? What happened to my 100 lb body that I had just 11 short years ago? I felt sad and disgusted for allowing myself to look like that. I begin layering clothes to hide the bulge, advanced to sweat pants and my husbands T-shirt. About 1 yr ago in March I finally decided to get VSG- I was paying out of pocket 100%. Paid my deposit, paid anesthesia, then death in family. Had to reschedule, paid all deposits again, came home, my husband said I was being selfish for doing that to my body and spending that amount of money on what he saw as frivolous. Weekend of arguing, gave up and cancelled surgery. I was so depressed . Quit my nursing job that I had for 21 yrs, Started a new job. Obviously, still in public eye, and feelings of disgust that hid behind my cracked, fake smile. New insurance. Sit down with hubby 25yrs and he agreed I was unhappy and he knows I have exhausted all other avenues, including: exercise, medical directed wt loss program since 2008, multiple drugs: phentermine, belvique and Contrave. I was carried by my husband’s insurance and the policy lacked WLS. Great. So signed up 11/30/17 last day at work to get insurance. Planned to go see dr ASAP. One of my close friends secretly got sleeved. I was so jealous and angry at her for doing that. Met with new surgeon, brought all of my records and he was impressed, didn’t have to wait normal 6 mos. 3 denials from insurance co., and all I have left is 1 appeal. By the way-the Inursing I do deals with ins and coding for payment- so I know all the rules and had everything worded perfectly; no avail : DENIED!!!!! I cried. Phoned coordinator 2/25/18 told her it was denied again, requested surgeon file an appeal. On Wednesday 2/28/18 I received a call from coordinator, all she said”are u ready to get excited, u are APPROVED”!!! Elated! Received letter of approval for inpatient procedure on My Birthday! Scheduled surgery. 3/26 day before surgery, medical center called and said my portion was $25k need it before surgery.... WHAAAATTTT??? Called insurance straighten out everything, phoned medical center and instructed her who to contact. Wow, I got sleeved Tuesday 3/27/18. Wooohooo!!! Now, what the heck did I do? Lasted 5 mins then was delighted. So I am 4 days post op, still hungry, but I fought so hard for this, I have this under control! Besides, I was out of pocket almost 10K. my husband agrees it was the best $ we have ever spent! Happy Silver Anniversary. Stats: highest wt 170 Ht: 4’10” BMI 35.5. Pre surgical wt 168.8 and current weight 160.0.
Moral of my journey: Fight for what you deserve and make it happen! Looking forward to the rest of my journey and becoming the person I know I am! Sorry for being so winded; I have kept my procedure from everyone except my husband and kids.

Thank you for telling us, I,for one, feel honored you shared this secret with us. I am waiting for my surgery, maybe May, after curves and a threatened derailment of my journey on the weight loss road , I am fighting what seems an uphill battle to secure a RnY . Started my battle in August 2015, now ready to proceed with program # 2 at bariatric center#2 for hopefully not a 3rd set of requirements, I should have clairification after April 25th 2 hour meeting with OSU psychologist Dr Kramer in Columbus Ohio. There are days I toy with the idea of novacaine, a box cutter and 30 wt fishing line and doing my own . I have begged, pleaded ,jumped through hoops, crawled through minefields of quasi regulations, slithered across broken glass, had various portions of my anatomy scanned, prodded ultrasounded and groped to no avail. Every portion of my gastrointestinal system is there except the appendix and gall bladder I gave up 30+ years ago.[emoji10] I have answered questions, allowed my psyche to be probed, and presented myself in abject humiliation to have surgery and it still has not happened. If this is truly a journey I have gone around enough hairpin turns to last me until infinity.But I have resolved not to let it triump over me, I will subdue the Bariatric dragons in my path with my Rightness sword. And surgery will be mine![emoji7][emoji626]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Best Wishes to you! Praying for your triumph to be the RnY. It is a sad day when it takes someone to battle their inner demons to muster up the courage and go through with all the requirements of the Insurance company just to let u meet the devil himself. Hoping you to get over the initial hurdle. Thanks for the support !