Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My secret sleeve journey

I am determined and excited for this new change and I vowed not to tell my family until after surgery because each of them have an opinion about weight lost. I’ve always been the chubby one since I can remember and was called horrible names and made fun of because of my weight. 9 yrs ago I lost weight and to them it was too much weight ( 178lbs) size 8 from 215lbs. I was bullied to eat more like seriously . So this time I’m standing my ground and I’m going to do it my way ( with doctors help of course) I’m excited

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry you had to go through that. It sounds like a toxic family relationship. :( (I'm familiar). I am so proud of you for standing your ground. You are a smart, beautiful woman and you deserve to live your life how you choose. That is what life is all about!! I am excited FOR you!! LOL

Stay strong, you can do this. Good luck!

I am determined and excited for this new change and I vowed not to tell my family until after surgery because each of them have an opinion about weight lost. I’ve always been the chubby one since I can remember and was called horrible names and made fun of because of my weight. 9 yrs ago I lost weight and to them it was too much weight ( 178lbs) size 8 from 215lbs. I was bullied to eat more [emoji50] like seriously . So this time I’m standing my ground and I’m going to do it my way ( with doctors help of course) I’m excited [emoji4]

Very brave! I too have a toxic family, specifically my mother. No matter what the conversation is she always brings up my weight and how she knows I’m going to be alone for life because of it (we live in separate states too). This past January I got insurance through my school and it covers the gastric sleeve so I decided to do it without my family knowing because I knew my mom would discourage me from doing it. I’m getting close to getting a date and for me personally I have done some soul searching and have decided to tell my mom one week before the surgery. I’ve decided this because In the past I’ve had emergency surgery and the doctor had to call my mom in NY and tell her everything. I don’t want something to happen and have her have to get a call from someone else. I want to give her the option of coming down to Florida to help me (if she wants to be supportive) after my surgery. This is my journey and my experience but I completely understand your reasoning and I support you. I can’t wait to see your results and I know it will be amazing

Very brave! I too have a toxic family, specifically my mother. No matter what the conversation is she always brings up my weight and how she knows I’m going to be alone for life because of it (we live in separate states too). This past January I got insurance through my school and it covers the gastric sleeve so I decided to do it without my family knowing because I knew my mom would discourage me from doing it. I’m getting close to getting a date and for me personally I have done some soul searching and have decided to tell my mom one week before the surgery. I’ve decided this because In the past I’ve had emergency surgery and the doctor had to call my mom in NY and tell her everything. I don’t want something to happen and have her have to get a call from someone else. I want to give her the option of coming down to Florida to help me (if she wants to be supportive) after my surgery. This is my journey and my experience but I completely understand your reasoning and I support you. I can’t wait to see your results and I know it will be amazing

Thank you. I personally don’t know if I should even say a word. Not even after lol. One min I’m made fun of for being over weight then when I lose weight they claim I’m trying to kill myself be starving. I honestly know I have to do this for me. I find strength in reading testimonies and watching YouTube videos and simply knowing that I will have a tool that will help me regain my life again.

Tropical,

You're doing this for you, not for them. I'm not telling my family because it's nobody's business but mine and when I was banded, I felt all kinds of judgement coming my way. Only my husband and 2 of my best friends know. I told my boss, but really only to help justify my being out of the office.

You can't choose your family, but you can certainly choose how you react to them. I wish you luck!