Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bruising & Bleeding with fills

I was banded 9-13-07 and have lost almost 70 pounds! :whoo:

:help:My concern/issue is with fills. Almost everytime I get a fill is turns into an ordeal for me. On my first fill, after being stuck multiple times, my md finally sent me over to the hospital where she did the fill in xray. I had a bruise for a few days and the site was tender. Thankfully, they will usually numb me up before starting. About 3 fills ago, after much manipulation of my port, she was successful but I started bleeding - it ran down my side onto the exam table - luckily it stopped in just a minute or so. However, the last time I had a fill (3 weeks and 2 days ago), he had to push on and manipulate the port, plus 2 sticks then he went to get a longer needle before he was able to do the fill. Then once again, I started to bleed...quite a bit. He got some 2x2 gauze pads, held pressure then applied a large Band-aid. By the time I ate the cracker, walked to the car, pulled out and got about 5 blocks away, I looked down and was bleeding thru my shirt. My sister was driving, so I grabbed some Kleenex, folded them multiple times (about 1/2" thick) and applied pressure. I bled all the way thru those and a couple more before I got it stopped. I was extremely sore for a couple of days, had a UGLY bruise that has not completely faded yet.

My question is: has anyone else had this type problem? Honestly, I dread going to each appointment because of this.:D

Thanks for any input!

Susan

GOOD GRIEF!!!! I was banded in 2006!! My fingers just hit the wrong key!

Sorry for the confusion!!

Susan

P.S. there are no other drs in this area who even do this surgery. I like my docs, it's just that fills are a dreaded thing for me at this point.

I never bleed much but I always bruise. My fills usually are harder as I'm still pretty large. Usually takes 3 or 4 sticks before my doc hits it. Hopefully it will get better soon! Hang in there and I hope it gets better for you.

I can't even feel when the needle goes in.....takes doc about 5 seconds for the whole procedure, then I step in front of flouro for the barium swallow. I never have had a bruise or anything. I'm so sorry your doctor is having a problem.....wonder if his other patients are having the same experience you are???

Well, my sister was banded at the same date that I was (9-13-06) and she never bruises or has had any problems as far as the fill procedure. I certainly hope that as I lose even more weight it will get better! As for other patients - I don't know but I haven't heard any conversation about it.

Thanks for all the input.

Have you ever had been tested for a clotting disorder? It sounds like maybe you're blood is really slow to clot. It may be nothing, but I'd mention it to your surgeon or even your family doctor. I don't know if you take any medications or herbal supplements, but if you are then maybe one of them is thinning your blood. Just a thought though. I wouldn't worry too much, but I wouldn't ignore it either. I personally don't think it's normal to bleed so heavily with being poked.

I havent had a fill yet -newly banded- but I just wanted to say how sorry that I am that your fills are such an ordeal ((hug)) Have you told the doc how much you bleed afterwards and that you are aware that it isnt the rule for most other people? Can he do them under x-ray supervision? I know that can cut down on the fiddling around to find the port site.

I hope your next fill is a better experiance.

Nina x

No bleeding or bruising I just feel a slight pinch, ripping the bandaid off later, is what hurts the most, so I've asked the nurse not put one on.

Is it possible you have a flipped port?

Luckily my port is right at the top of my abdomen in the middle so it sticks out like a button. I wish all doctors did this because reading these forums about people with port problems makes me feel bad for them. When I had my first and only fill so far it took just a few seconds and was over. If that port would have been anywhere down lower on me...it might have been lost forever!! lol. Sorry to hear of your ordeals for some. I just wonder why more doctors don't just think ahead and put them higher on the muscle...:cry