Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! Getting Banded in about a month, and have some questions

:help:Hello everyone!:help:

I am about to get the lap band procedure done in about a month. I was wondering if those of you who have already been living with the band would be so kind as to tell me what it is like. Can you :rolleyesfeel it inside your stomach? Does :eek:sexual intercourse with a lap band give you nausea or anything? How rapid is the weight loss? Also, has anyone ever heard of someone not waking up from anasthesia? Im scared of it lol. Any insight you can offer would be much appreciated!!:D

Thanks! Jennifer

Hi Cherry! Welcome to Lapband Land! Congrats on the surgery! I had mine just a little over 4 months ago and I thought I would write you to calm your nerves a bit, we've all been right where you are now!

I, personally, have never head of anyone not waking up from anethesia, but I am almost positive it is a very rare occurance! I was scared too, but just don't think about it too much and before you know it your on the table and they put that mask on you and then *boom* your awake in recovery! I didn't even have to count backwards while the administered it or anything! So, don't worry a bit about that, just get yourself prepared for recovery and that will take your mind off it!

As for feeling the band, I wondered the same thing!!! I though for SURE I would feel it around my stomach, but I can't one bit! Well, I take that back, when I drink something cold first thing in the morning I can feel it tighten up down in my chest, not a bad feeling at all, kinda cool! And the best time you can feel the band is when its doing its job and you have good restriction and it tells you your full!

As far as the sexual intercourse goes, the band hasn't affected mine what so ever! (Of course, this is after you are properly healed!) In fact, I think the band is the best thing for my sex life! I feel so much better about myself with my clothes off and my husband is pretty happy too!

So, good luck! Best wishes for a speedy recovery! I hope I put your mind at ease!

-Danielle

Thanks so much for the info! Wow--Im surprised at getting such a fast response--I think this is a great place for me to make new friends and feel more comfortable about my procedure. I really appreciate you taking the time to write me. May I ask how your weight loss is going? And how rapid is the loss?

Hows this for another fast reply! I am on my lunch break and decided to do some "chatting." I don't really reply a lot on these boards, but I am having a really good day and I thought I could show some support to my fellow bandsters!

I have lost a total of 55lbs since May. I weighed 248lbs (still can't believe that!) and I am now in what we call around here "onederland!" I am under that horrible 200lbs! I am now 193, last I checked.

I have had a pretty good recovery since my surgery in June. I went back to work after a week, which was very easy. I lost 15lbs on my pre-op diet and have lost 1-2lbs on average since my surgery.

I had my 1st fill, then had a littlen take out cause I was too tight. Then had another small fill a couple weeks after that, then another small one and I think I was up to 6cc in a 10cc band.

But the last six weeks since that fill I had trouble eating very much and had trouble with PBing and Sliming (PB= productive burp, where you "burp" or spit up something that you didn't chew up good enough. Sliming= is when your mouth produces lots of spit to try and get food down) (I can tell you more about that later if you need more info! Its REALLY not as scarey as it sounds!)

ANYWAY... I had 1/2cc taken out and it has been HEAVEN this past week! I still feel restriction, but I can actually eat a meal, not just two bites and spit it back up...

So, here I am 55lbs later! I would still like to loose another 45-50lbs or so, but right now I am really enjoying being at this mid point! I have to keep focused so I don't start slowly gaining. With the holidays coming I know that junk food will be abound and that goes right through the band and just adds to your calories!

Oh, and exercising is really important, I am sure you have heard. But, to me totally honest, I don't really do a whole lot... I try and walk around my work parking lot at lunch when I can and get on the treadmill at home when I have time. I am sure that my weight would be coming off even faster if I kicked it up a notch, but I have done this good so far! But, like I said, since I had that un-fill I know I am going to need to pay better attention to what I eat and get more exercise!

I am sorry I wrote a small novel here... Like I said I am having a great band day and wanted to let everyone know! Hope my info helps! Let's keep in touch! :D

Youre awesome! Thats great Im happy for you--someday I will be able to post the same kind of success! :D) Yes we will keep in touch--great to know someone else who is going through what I will be going through. One other question though...how many ounces or bites would you say it takes you to get the full feeling? And thank you for making me feel at home! Talk to you soon! Jenn

Hello cherry congrats on your decision for a new life... believe me, in my case is a totally new life.

I don't feel the band, of course you feel the restriction when you are full, but that's it for me.

I have lost a total of 76 pounds I was 225, and now I weight 149 pounds, just 19 pounds away from my goal of 130 which is my ideal weight. I just can't wait.

Just as Danielle said, your sex life will not be affected by the band, on the contrary I feel more confortable with my body now, and that newfound confidence works like a charm.

I really don't count the bites but I eat really slow, when I go out with friends they finish their meals and I'm probably still eating. The ounces of food, I don't really know... I guess it depends con what your body needs and the level of restriction you have. You should ask your doctor about it, but they will give you a diet and all the instructions.

Wellcome to this site!

Yeah, like Tonks said, I don't really know how many bites or oz. I eat at a time. When I was really restricted this last time I could only eat about 1/2 of a chicken breast and then it would start "coming back up!" Then I could only eat about 1/2 of a microwave meal and it would do the same thing.

Now that I had a little taken out I can eat a whole microwave meal, like a lean cuisine and be full. So, I am eating a little more per meal, but I feel much better!

The best advice is to eat slowly and chew really well. Sometimes I chew so much my jaw hurts! I always wait a minute or so after my first bite so the food can move down slowly and doesn't get stuck or anything...

You'll really just lean by experience, its so different for everyone! I am still learning what works and what doesn't.