Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cigna Healthcare

Is there anyone here who has CIGNA health insurance? If so, after you meet the critera for the health complications due to obesity and finish your physican directed weight management program .... will the insurance company accept your need for surgery and cover you? Or does it depend on the type of plan you have? I am very confused. I went for an evaluation with a surgeon who said I am a perfect fit for lapband and I got a bill today for over $200 saying cigna won't cover that appointment (hence my large bill). I'm weary about them covering my surgery. I have really tried everything to lose weight and nothing has worked. It's predestined in my family genes for me to be larger.... my surgeon said I am getting in his office before truly serious probelsm will start to take place due to my weight. I am just sooo uspet!!! Damn insurance. :(

hi lookingtolose84!

I also have cigna. Have you called the Customer Service number on your cigna insurance card? Once you get through to a representative they will be able to tell you if you have lapband surgery coverage, and how much you will have to pay "out of pocket". I strongly suggest you call them before you schedule any more Dr appointments or tests. If you do have coverage, ask cigna about paying for the bill you received from the surgeon.

Good Luck!!!

I have CIGNA as well. I searched their website and got very excited because they list Bariatric Centers, etc. After visiting my primary care physician, who told me I was an excellent candidate and would gladly write a referral for me, I called customer service to inquire about my policy. I was very disheartened to learn that my policy has an exclusion for WLS.

I believe it's dependent on restrictions set by your employer when the policy was negotiated.

I've seen on other forums where CIGNA patients have gotten WLS covered - my best advice is to CALL! :(

I found online that the policy we have covers lap band surgery AFTER six months medically supervised diet, psychiatric evaluation, support group meetings, proven exercise, etc., etc. Do not miss a visit or you start all over. I have one more visit (Thursday) and they will be sending my paperwork into Cigna and hopefully I get approved on the first go around. But who knows. I printed all of their "qualifications" out when I found them online and the doctor I am working with is very familiar with what Cigna requires, so I truly have my fingers crossed this will work the first time.

You need to call your Cigna talk to somebody and ask them e mail or mail you the qualification list so you know up front what is expected, plus, you have it in writing. I wish you the very best of luck.

Did they send your first visit in to Cigna??? If they did, you will receive an explanation of benefits from Cigna explaining why they paid or why they did not pay. If it was never sent to Cigna, send it in yourself or have the office send it in.