Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Daylight Saveings

Yes, thats what confused me too. You still have the same time to get out the door in the morning, regardless of whether its dark or not. 7.30 pm is still 7.30 pm too, I just dont understand why it makes any difference?

Id simply rather enjoy the daylight at the other end of the day when I have time to make use of it.

Arizona never changes time. We like the one we have. :(

It is annoying though, I never know what time it is anywhere else. My sis lives in Denver and half the year she's one hour different, the other half of the year she is two hours different.

It's nice never having to deal with that stuff.

Arizona never changes time. We like the one we have. :)

Very sensible of Arizona. :clap2: But, seriously, the amount of sunlight we do or don't have available varies widely from summer to winter the closer to the poles we live. In the summertime the hours of light can be very, very long and the opposite is true in the winter. In Canada and the northern States we really do suffer from a terrible loss of daylight in the winter months. (This is why we are now told to take extra vita D.) This is the argument that is trotted out for moving the time back and forward by an hour each spring and fall. I still think it sucks, though. :D

Very sensible of Arizona. :clap2: But, seriously, the amount of sunlight we do or don't have available varies widely from summer to winter the closer to the poles we live. In the summertime the hours of light can be very, very long and the opposite is true in the winter. In Canada and the northern States we really do suffer from a terrible loss of daylight in the winter months. (This is why we are now told to take extra vita D.) This is the argument that is trotted out for moving the time back and forward by an hour each spring and fall. I still think it sucks, though. :D

According to history, the reason we don't change times is due to drive in movie folks. I don't recall the entire story, but they won. And I'm glad.

According to history, the reason we don't change times is due to drive in movie folks. I don't recall the entire story, but they won. And I'm glad.

Hooray for Hollywood, um, er, or whatever........:D

Except for Indiana! That always ticked me off. Why do THEY not have to get their times messed up? [/whine] :huytsao

Indiana does or at least large portions of it. Do have to do daylight saving time as of last year. And I hate it. I have a horrid memory for when to change the clocks.

I hate the whole clock changing thing each fall as well. I believe the "real" time is the winter time and the "daylight savings" is in the summer. Personally I'd like to switch the clocks over to the summer time (whichever that is) and just leave it.

My problem with the time change is two fold. First off I absolutely hate that when the clocks go back each winter it means I'm leaving for work in the dark and coming home in the dark. If it stayed the same as summer it would mean I could at least drive home with some light left. Secondly, the way the roads are laid out on my route to/from work there are a couple of weeks as the sunrise/sunset changes that I'm driving with the sun right in my eyes (Very Dangerous) but just as the sun starts to shift enough that it isn't bothering me anymore they go and change the clocks putting me back on the road at a time the sun is in my eyes again. Personally, though I agree with the idea behind what the other poster said about less accidents and such I would think that doubling the length of time people are having to drive with the rising/settning sun glaring in their eyes as well as making it so many commuters are driving both to and from work in the dark during winter is also creating additional road hazards.

I agree. I hate driving to and from work in the dark and sitting in an office building in "cubicle hell" where I have no windows to see the sun. During the winter I average about one hour of visible sunlight during the workday. It could literally be raining cats and dogs outside, and the only way I'd know is by the occasional yelp or meow. I especially hate the lack of the extra hour of sun for golf in the winter. It's going to be 53 this Sunday, but if I can't get a tee-time by noon, I'll never be able to finish 18 holes.

I really have a hard time getting up when it is still dark outside. So I will like that little extra hour of sleep in the morning we are going to get. My eyes refuse to open when it is still dark out. My husband has to yell at me abou 20 times before I finally relent. I also hate the fact that I will be driving home in the dark. My solution to the problem is retirement. Then I can sleep late and I won't be driving home from work at all.

I really have a hard time getting up when it is still dark outside. So I will like that little extra hour of sleep in the morning we are going to get. My eyes refuse to open when it is still dark out. My husband has to yell at me abou 20 times before I finally relent. I also hate the fact that I will be driving home in the dark. My solution to the problem is retirement. Then I can sleep late and I won't be driving home from work at all.

I can really relate. I have never been a morning person. When I switched from office work to blue collar land the first thing I did was volunteer for permanent afternoon work. I spent most of the remainder of my work life sleeping in and shopping, banking, etc with the pensioners, stay at home mums and the unemployed. Now I am a retiree and rarely have to get up before I want to. This is very, very nice for a natural owl. :bounce:

Green, I have at least one more year to work and then I join the world of the freeeeeeeee. Can't wait.

Grrl, you are gonna love it! :whoo:

I'm in the UK and I remember when I was about 10 years old The government did an experiment one year and didn't change the clocks in the autumn. School children were all issued with reflective sashes as it was so dark. The outcome was evaluated and despite the sashes more kids were killed on the roads that year so they reverted back to daylight saving the next year.

I'm in the UK and I remember when I was about 10 years old The government did an experiment one year and didn't change the clocks in the autumn. School children were all issued with reflective sashes as it was so dark. The outcome was evaluated and despite the sashes more kids were killed on the roads that year so they reverted back to daylight saving the next year.

that breaks your heart to read that,for them to whear a reflective sash in the first place ,must have surely said hey yeah,we are aware its dangerous,but who gives a toss,i do think its harder for kids in the bush or colder climate areas where it stays dark.thats sad kids lost there lives over it/i feel for anyones loss/and even though we say things like.....i can only imagine what your going thru,we cant really,not unless it happend to us.

i might look up the net for the report on daylight savings from today tonight news and see if there story was there?they had meany good reasons why daylight savings was not a good idea..