Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

California fires vs. Hurrican Katrina

I don't know if it made much of the National news, but WOW did California finally get something right! Comparisons were made when a lot of San Diego County evacuated to Qualcom Stadium.

Remember the Superdome during Katrina? What a mess that was! What happened there? I will say that the lack of plumbing does give them a leg up on miserableness, but what went wrong? Did the government just not care about those people? They bussed them in, dumped them there with no police supervision, and NO PLAN.

In San Diego, they opened up the vendor stands, served Starbucks coffee, gave Massages, and took care of their pets. No muggings, no rapes, just people who were seeking refuge in an orderly, civilized manner.

Any thoughts?

different socio-economic backgrounds ...

absolutely pathetic the way it was handled in NOLA.

Absolutely pathetic is right. The people who needed it the most, got the least help.

different socio-economic backgrounds ...

absolutely pathetic the way it was handled in NOLA.

Agreed.

The local and state governments failed to initiate proper evacuations and a plan. N.O. would have been fine if the city had used the moneys the govt had been giving them for years to repair the levys. That is what caused major problems. California also has been dealing with these types of major fires forever and have a good plan in place when needed.Plus after Katrina people have learned from the mistakes made.

The evacuations in NO were a suggestion. The local Government could have used those buses that were photographed under Water to evacuate the residence. Presidents Clinton, and current Bush knew those levies wouldn't hold, but neither alloted the appropriate monies to THE ARMY CORE OF ENGINEERS, because this is a Federal Government entity. The Superdome to wasn't set up for all those people, so when everything else started to fail they were forgot about. Things were so desperate there, that a lot of the police officers were making up the rape stories...they came clean weeks later those who were still around. I just think that it boils down to nobody in power cared about those low-income, poor people, not even the media who called the Refugees. Browny doing a heck of a job, Condi buying shoes, Bush doing photo ops... Five days...:angry

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDiva viewpost.gif

The evacuations in NO were a suggestion. The local Government could have used those buses that were photographed under Water to evacuate the residence. Presidents Clinton, and current Bush knew those levies wouldn't hold, but neither alloted the appropriate monies to THE ARMY CORE OF ENGINEERS, because this is a Federal Government entity. The Superdome to wasn't set up for all those people, so when everything else started to fail they were forgot about. Things were so desperate there, that a lot of the police officers were making up the rape stories...they came clean weeks later those who were still around. I just think that it boils down to nobody in power cared about those low-income, poor people, not even the media who called the Refugees. Browny doing a heck of a job, Condi buying shoes, Bush doing photo ops... Five days...angry.gif

So no blame on the Governor or the Mayor? I guess your just one of the blame Bush crowd. FEMA can not activate without a Governors request. She dropped the ball on it.The Governor played politics with her request. Heaven forbid a democrat ask the republican president for help. I will say FEMA was in no way prepared for what they were up against but there is no way to prepare for such a magnitude. What amazes me is how screwed up the N.O. mayor is and they reelected the bum. I guess you get what you ask for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDiva viewpost.gif

The evacuations in NO were a suggestion. The local Government could have used those buses that were photographed under Water to evacuate the residence. Presidents Clinton, and current Bush knew those levies wouldn't hold, but neither alloted the appropriate monies to THE ARMY CORE OF ENGINEERS, because this is a Federal Government entity. The Superdome to wasn't set up for all those people, so when everything else started to fail they were forgot about. Things were so desperate there, that a lot of the police officers were making up the rape stories...they came clean weeks later those who were still around. I just think that it boils down to nobody in power cared about those low-income, poor people, not even the media who called the Refugees. Browny doing a heck of a job, Condi buying shoes, Bush doing photo ops... Five days...angry.gif

So no blame on the Governor or the Mayor? I guess your just one of the blame Bush crowd. FEMA can not activate without a Governors request. She dropped the ball on it.The Governor played politics with her request. Heaven forbid a democrat ask the republican president for help. I will say FEMA was in no way prepared for what they were up against but there is no way to prepare for such a magnitude. What amazes me is how screwed up the N.O. mayor is and they reelected the bum. I guess you get what you ask for.

Not what I said. I laid blame on the local government for their evacuation plains. The Mayor is a dim-wit and so is the Governor. They are all at fault. THEY ALL PLAYED POLITICS WITH THOSE PEOPLE'S LIVES!! And let's not start with the questions of why NO and other places still look like Hurricane Katrina happen last month! FEMA was a lot of things and still are with their fake Press Conferences and Press Core...

In San Diego, they opened up the vendor stands, served Starbucks coffee, gave Massages, and took care of their pets.

It's because we Californians have our priorities right. Without Starbucks, massages, and pet care, we'd be like fish out of Water. :biggrin1:

(Before I get flamed, this is a JOKE. What the New Orleans people went through was truly awful. Being a Californian, though, I couldn't resist.)

<p>

(Before I get flamed, this is a JOKE. What the New Orleans people went through was truly awful. Being a Californian, though, I couldn't resist.)
I grew up in a neighborhood called Tierrasanta, and we could see the stadium from our backyard. Of course, back then it was called the Jack Murphy stadium, and people were still angry that it had been named after him. Obviously Starbucks wasn't around then, but we brought our trendy little sushi sets for lunch. Damn straight we have our priorities. :heh: