Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap band or bypass?

I'm on the fence about whether I would like to have a lap band or a bypass, and I wanted to know how others made this decission, and how it has worked out for people in a similar situation to me.

I have a BMI of 43, and weigh 287. Technically my ideal weight is probably 150 according to the charts, but I would be more than perfectly happy at 175, even 200. I am healthy otherwise, and I'm only 27, so the risk with either surgery is not high for me, and is about the same for either surgery (according to my doctor).

I think I would prefer the lapband over the bypass simply because it is less drastic. But I am not sure if the lapband would work well for me, and I'm afraid I'd be one of the ones that would lose about have my excess weight, but not most of it. I have always been chubby or fat, and I have never been successful dieting. The most I ever lost dieting was 12 lbs. I have a big problem with willpower, and with sticking to things. I also have a major sweet tooth. I know I'll have restriction and won't be able to each much, but I'm afraid I'll fill my stomach up with chocolate instead of chicken, and that I won't have the willpower to stay away from the bad foods.

I'm interested in hearing from others who have similar backgrounds, to see if the lapband worked for them, and if they've been able to conquer cravings with the band, or if it just makes them eat less of what they crave.

I have about 4 months to go before my 6 months are up, so I have some time to make an informed decision.

Also, I would like to know how long it was before you were able to move around well. I am a grad student and I teach 1 class a week. Should I be able to go back in for a few hours a day to go to class or teach after one week, or is it likely to take 2?

Thanks for your help,

Tracy

If you haven't decided that this is life changing and you are going to have to work at it....neither will work for you.

With the bypass...the weight will come off fast, but if you do not change your habits, it will be back on in a few years (I just gave my fat clothes to my mother...she had bypass 6 years ago)

With the band....you can fail by making lots of bad choices, junk food even in small amounts will stop you from losing.

You really need to decide that this will save your life, and put your mind to it, to be successful. I chose the band because It is much less invasive and can be taken out if there is a problem. You will decide what is right for you but either way you will need to work at changing all of the bad habits that got you to this point. The band is only a tool but for me it was the better choice.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Hi Tracy

we are very similar in age -im 29 - height -5'8 -and weight - 277 as well as and ending goal - i would like to be around 180 and once i get there I will see if i still fell thats the wieght I would like to be. I chose banding because I felt the bypass was to drastic for me and I know I can lose the weight with a little help and I feel the band will give me the help that I need.

Just go with whatever your heart is telling you. You are the only one that knows how you want to lose your weight so think about it and go with your gut feeling.

good luck on your journey!!

There was a really good thread about this the other day, I going to try to post the link to it for you

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/why-band-43800/index3.html

Hope this helps you make up your mind!

Nina x

I would not subject myself to the bariatric surgery unless the doctor expressly said I had to do it. That is major surgery with lots of stuff inside you getting cut and resectioned. You drop weight fast, but you don't learn how to change your eating habits.

My feeling on the band is that its less invasive and you learn how to eat again making it more successful.

Hi Tracy, I am 26,5'5 and was 235 before banding. I have been banded since Aug. I have lost 20lbs. I had a similar sweet tooth. I did notice that once I was banded it wasn't as bad. About a month after surgery I was at the grocery store with hubby and he wanted some ice cream and he asked me what flavor I wanted, well after spending about 10 mins in the ice cream isle I didn't see any flavor that tickled my fancy and he just got a pint of what he wanted. I can't garuntee that your cravings will stop but I do know that for some people their tastes kinda change. I chose the band personally because I have a little one less than a year old and could not afford that much down time. Also I am not done having children and I wanted to have a way to re loose the pregnancy weight. I knew if I got bypass I would most likely be skinny up until I got pregnany then gain alot of weight back. With the band, I can get a fill after pregnancy and start all over again. Not true with bypass. To tell you the truth, I had no recovery time. I was back to normal activity the day after I got back from surgery. I think you would probably only need a week of recovery if that much. I am 100% happy with my band. Only you can make the choice for you. With the band I can still enjoy the things I like to eat, but most of the time 2-3 bites of it satisfies my craving and I am done with it. I know with bypass you have to be careful what you eat and change your eating habits completely other wise your body will start dumping, which doesn't sound fun to me. Only YOU can choose what you think is best for you, do your research though and go into it knowledgable and 100% sure that you have made the right decision. I would encourage you to explore all the threads on this board and maybe find a bypass forum and explore their threads too. Good luck!

nina - thanks alot for the link. i went through and read it and it was very helpful.

at first, 6 months ago, I was thinking about RNY. But here in the last month or so, particularly after finding this messageboard, I've been liking the band more and more. But after going to see the surgeon the other day, I starting doubting, and thinking maybe I should go with the bypass. Now, after reading all these posts, I'm leaning towards the band again. I've got 4 months to go before I can get the surgery, so I'll probably change several times again.

I would not subject myself to the bariatric surgery unless the doctor expressly said I had to do it. That is major surgery with lots of stuff inside you getting cut and resectioned. You drop weight fast, but you don't learn how to change your eating habits.

My feeling on the band is that its less invasive and you learn how to eat again making it more successful.

Actually you are subjecting yourself to bariatric surgery. Any type of weight loss surgery is bariatric surgery.

Talk with your Doctor and keep exploring your options. Most people who have a band will tell you why the band is better and most people who have a bypass will ltell you why you should get a bypass. Ultimately you have to look at yourself and your own habits to decided what will be best for you.