Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I have not posted on awhile. I had my surgery on August 25, 2004, and I have only lost 28 pounds ;) I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I had my first fill about a month after and then my second fill around the first of December. My first fill really did not have that much of an effect on me, but this second has. I still feel a lot of restriction, like I know its working, but I just can't seem to loose anymore weight. I know that I have lost inches, because my clothes are really baggy, but the scale is just not reflecting any weight loss. I have been exercising atleast 3 times a week, and I still have not lost. I was wondering if anybody could give me some meal suggestions. I have been eating baked chicken and streamed veggies for lunch and super or switching one of them out with some noodle Soup. And for breakast I am eating oatmeal. So I am jsut confused, I feel like the band is not working. Its weird though, because I feel so much restriction, like I cannot eat very much, so you would think that the weight would just be falling off, but its not! I was just needing some suggestions for food, or working out that anyone could pass my way ~

Maybe you are at a plateau...

Also by what you wrote that you eat..you need some more portein.Most band Dr's wil ltel lyou to eat 60 grams of Protein a day and eat your Protein first during yourmeal, then veggies, then fruits then if you have room eat your carbs. I do not always follow this rule but I do make sure I get in the 60 grams of protein a day. I do not do oatmeal, for 2 reasons , 1 is that it is a carb and if I eat in the morning Im hungry all day long and 2 is because it goes through my band too quickly. Start your day with protein. Soup is also a bad culprit..loaded with sodium and liquid calories that goes right through the band also. Cut those 2 things out and add protein in place of them and see if that helps. Also sometimes when I exercise too much I do not lose and my muscles retain Water. Most of my weight loss has come from NO exercise, just better food choices and smaller portions, I know the day will come when I will have to work my butt of to tone and lose the last few lbs but for now I'm seeing results..slowly but none the less it is still weight loss. Are you drinking atleast 64 oz of Water a day? That is what helps me to lose. Your band is working, you are doing great. Plateaus can be discouraging. I did not lose but .5 of a pound in a month and a half and last week I lost 1.5 lbs..hang in there also try tracking your food on fitday.com. Good Luck ;)

Michelle gave some great tips! I definitely look at this band journey differently now than when I did 2 years ago when I was banded. I am still losing weight..slower than most..but I have learned about plateaus, "compacting", what a loose fill is like and what a tight fill is like. I have seen excercise speed up the loss, I have seen excercise do nothing extra at all to see lbs drop..there really is no exact science to how this works..just like regular "diets"..

I would suggest ASAP, if not already, start taking measurements around various parts of your body. Get a tape measure and measure, bust, waist, hips, upper leg, calf and upper arm. Get someone to assist you if you need help keeping the tape measure in the same place generally each time. Record them and ONLY measure 1x per month. You will be amazed to see the inches drop when the lbs are staying the same.

As far as excercise...I have always been told that for weight loss phase, you really need more than 3x per week..which is usually all you need to maintain your weight. My doctor told me at minimum 5-6 days per week while you are losing weight. This may vary depending on your age, weight, etc..but in general daily excercise is better to keep that metabolism up and keep up your calorie in vs calorie out ratio balanced. You do what feels right for you, but if you want to see the lbs drop faster..try revving up the excercise.

Like Michelle said, wise food choices as well..soft foods will go through, though I do eat Soup on occasion because I am restricted enough where soup even stays in my pouch all afternoon!

Lastly...you will find this journey takes many paths..at least for me it has. SOmetimes it is all about the excercise..other times it is more about the restriction..and then it maybe I change up what I eat..you can go a few months doing everything as "perfectly" as possible..then hit a major plateau doing the same perfect things..wondering what the heck is up. Your body just likes to take rests from the loss and likes to stick to where it is. Don't freak out during those times..just either keep on doing what you are doing OR break it up a bit...change what you eat..change how you excercise..maybe eat a bit MORE calories and then drop down again..drink more Water..anything to shock your body back into weight loss mode.

This really is a marathon..not a sprint..expect some rest time, expect some sprinting time..but overall enjoy the loss as it comes because you already are a big success!!!

Patty

8/13/02

Dr Kuri

I have to agree with both of you. First of all, I do not think that I am getting enough Water, I find myself forgetting to drink it during the day, to drink anything for that matter. I know that I need to change my water intake. I am going to try more Protein and see where that gets me, as well as more days at the gym. Thanks so much for the positive feed back, I need it! I love this website, its so helpfull, and gives me so much inspiration reading everybody's success stories!

You know, Courtney..I SUCK at getting my fluids in..I know I need to..but dang..I just don't get thirsty and I forget! My bad! It does not seem to really effect how my weight comes off..what has really helped this last month is finally after 2 years..having some really great restriction! I stopped excercising AT ALL after doing it daily..and got two fills since September of this year..and have dropped 15lbs..NO excercise whatsoever during this time..only because I took on a 2nd job...and then a 3rd in december( all three of these jobs involved me sitting my a$$ all day at home in front of the computer) and had no time..so at that time..it was about the restriction. I don;t recommend to anyone to purposely stop excercise like I did..I hated that I couldn't get it done and all the great muscle tone I had is pretty much gone..so Ihave to start from scratch again..but like I said above..this journey will take you on many paths..you just have to learn how to go down each one to your benefit!

You are doing great so far..it WILL work!!

Patty

Hi Courtney -- I'm right next to you. I had my surgery the day after you, and I've lost a little over 30 pounds -- but I'm not eating as well as you are (my holiday meals were naughty indeed). I know my habits aren't all they should be, but yours sound pretty good. You might ask your doctor (surgeon or GP) for recommendations.

Before you get too frustrated with yourself, please read your own post again. "Only" 28 pounds lost? Good grief, that's amazing! Congratulations! How many people on conventional diets are able to say that after 20 weeks? And you're losing extra inches too.

Some people lose a lot of weight in the first few months after banding, some of us just plug along, dropping an average of a pound or so every week, and some are a little slower. It's irritating to find yourself in one of the slower groups, but for some of us it's the best we can do. I don't mean to discourage you from scrupulously following the bandster rules (which I rarely do myself), but please don't beat yourself up for minor deviations.

Great suggestions all- I just wanted to say one thing about Water. Awhile back I heard this professional trainer say that "You should drink water when your NOT thirsty." Because when you are thirsty you have actually reached the point where your body ALREADY is dehydrated. So by drinking a little throughout the day you never should reach that point of dehydration. This just clicked for me- it made sense. I mean by the time I think to drink usually I am so parched! Hope this helps us all consume more h2o!

I just heard tonight from a friend who's physical therapist told her she was dehydrated. She asked how she knew. She said open your hand, press your finger or thumb into your hand, if it leave a white spot, you're dehydrated! Oh my looks like I'm bone dry, better go get some Water.< /p>

You've gotten some good suggestions, but I think the main thing is to realize that you're not really losing slowly. You're doing fine. And sometimes slower is better anyway. Easier on the skin, for example.

Nancy

Courtney I had my op on the 27 Aug and to date I've lost 30lbs with nothing at all for the last five weeks and its so disheartening, but I do not drink even a third of what everyone's been saying so I'm going to make sure I do from now on, I hardly eat any Protein, veggies or carbs either I've been living on Soup and rubbish, so now I have some very good info I'm hoping things will start to move again.

Good luck Courtney

Helenxx.