Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time Off - vent about my boss

Still in the process, I have about 2-3 months left before surgery. Today my boss asked me how much time off I would need, I told her about 2 weeks. She then said that was too long. Well, not much I can do about that, it is what it is. I have 2 weeks of vacation saved so it's not like I'm taking it off unpaid. She asked when and I told her I would work it out so I'd be here for the end of our fiscal year in June, so early May or I'd wait until July. She said neither were good and to find another time. There is one other person that does the same job as I do, he is retiring in September. So I have to do it before September. She's been super cranky and hard to work with for the past year. This is to take care of my health....I wanted to let her have it but I need my job so I just stayed quiet.

Ugh, what a lousy person to say that to you! How big is your company? Bigger than 50 people and you are protected with FMLA laws.

If you're eligible to file for FML then do so. Even if they end up saying not to bother with it do the paperwork trail to cover your ass. I get that it's tough for a company to have people off for a long duration but it's not the end of the world for crying out loud.

I didn't know an employer could say no to a medical procedure scheduled by a physician? I realize it is elective, but what does the employee handbook say, and state and federal laws? I tried to time any surgery I had to the best work schedule and my personal schedule as well as recovery time - who wants to risk falling on ice going to physical therapy after knee or foot surgery, right? And never at FYE.

I would refrain from convos about your medical life and a timeline free for all. Next time she asks, say this is determined by my medical team and (not me) you will give ample notice according to protocol. I know we are all intimmidated by the boss, but make sure you are polite and factual and do not engage in arguing. Also document these convos. You can buy a thumb drive looking audio recorder and no one needs to know what it is - that way you have exact words that were used in these convos. If she persists, you might try asking what her main concern is about your absence - ask for specifics, not generalizations. then address those in writing to her. Be professional and proactive. Not defending her, but msybe her arss is on the line on something. Stay until you get surgery done at least, then maybe transfer or move on, if you can.

And def do not give a return date, take medical leave as well as vacation but put it in as medical leave, just use vacation to cover it. You never know if you might need an extra week to recover, use fmla if you can. Doesn't your company have paid medical leave?

Edited by Sosewsue61