Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tubal Ligation after banded

I am getting close to my goal weight and I am positive I don't won't anymore children. I have one little girl who I absolutly adore but I think going through this journey I can do without having anymore children. My husband doesn't want anymore either. I would have loved to have given my little girl a brother or sister but she is 7 years old now and things or so scary in this world we live in today, I also work 12 hour shifts too.

I was wondering if anyone had a tubal ligation after being banded and only having one child or having it done without any children. How hard is it to get a doctor to do this procedure with just having one child and being 28 years old?

I have been over weight all my life and I finally feel like I am starting a new life with my husband and daughter. I am not being selfish, I just know I don't want anymore children. If I did I would have just got it over when I was heavier.

I know they say when you lose a lot of weight you become more fertile, well I am not going to lie, I am so scared I get pregnant after all of this acomplishment. I have a paraguard but I am so scared it falls out and I don't realize it and bam!!! So I am looking into having a tubal ligation. Am I being over worried?

I am in Australia, and it is dammed near impossible to get a doctor to tie the tubes of a 27 year old woman with one child (I know, because I am in the middle of trying to find someone)

I am the same. I just don't want any more children. I know that we can give the one we have a fantastic lifestyle (private schools, music lessons, karate and anything he needs or wants) But if we have a second, well, that cuts what he gets in half.

In my humble opinion, it's not selfish at all.

But yeah, I am having a hell of a time finding a doctor who will do it. They all say the same thing "You only have one child, you are only 27, what if you want more later on down the track?" Umm? I had my son at 16, I got married when I was 17, don't 'ya think if I wanted more kids I would have had them by now Doc?

Sorry, now I am ranting! LMAO

<p>Thanks Chickie for your opinion. My husband and I have been together for since I am 16, I think to if we wanted more we would have had them by now, my husband didn't want the first one but he loves her dearly. He always said he didn't want another one. I thought I would but the older I get I don't want anymore. I have friends that have 3 and 4 kids and I don't know how they do it, between a sitter and school work, I just don't know. I am lucky I have a sister-in-law that can't have kids and she helps me out when I am at work. I am glad to know I am not the only one in that boat. Thanks!!!</p>

Kellymovingon, How did you get to do it? Did you have some kind of complication?

I forgot to mention, I had a horriable pregnacy. I had a emergency c-section at 31 weeks, I wouldn't want to think about going through that again. I do have a miracle baby!

Why not have your husband have a vasectomy? It's a much less major surgery and I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble finding someone to do it.

As for the band, I know a bandster who just had her tubes tied. I don't think the band was an issue at all.

Kellymovingon, How did you get to do it? Did you have some kind of complication?

I wasn't having any problems. I scheduled an appointment and went in and told him this is what I want. He explain what the options/choices were and I chose one. I had been warned by friends that no doctor would do it at my age which was 27 or 28 at the time. I was firm and he didn't question my decision.

Why not have your husband have a vasectomy? It's a much less major surgery and I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble finding someone to do it.

As for the band, I know a bandster who just had her tubes tied. I don't think the band was an issue at all.

My husband hates going to the Doctor, he is worst that my 7 year old for shots...lol. I don't the think the band is an issue but after losing what I have lost, I know for sure I don't want anymore. Thanks for you response.

HA! My husband left the referral for the vasectomy sitting on the fridge for a year before it expired.

In that time I fell accidentally pregnant with our third child. Who turned out to be breech and was delivered by caesar so I got my tubes tied at the time. I was 35 with 3 children and having a ceasarean, it was not difficult to get it done, lol.

I'd imagine at 28 with on child, it would be very difficult though.

I do respect the choice to have fewer kids, I dont know why more people dont respect it. We had 2 boys and were looking forward to our dream home and private educations for them when I returned to work the year Ewan started school. Instead, one month after he started school, Eliza was born. All our dreams up in smoke. We love her more than life itself of course, but we really mourn what might have been - yes, houses and educations are only material goals but they mattered a lot to us and the loss of those dreams has caused us a lot of heartache and financial pain too. Its a very bittersweet thing having a third child unexpectedly. We too wanted to give the two we could actually afford the best of everything and now they've had to compromise due to five more years out of the workforce for me.

My husband hates going to the Doctor, he is worst that my 7 year old for shots...lol. I don't the think the band is an issue but after losing what I have lost, I know for sure I don't want anymore. Thanks for you response.

Maybe it would be an easier thing to find a doctor to do it to him though. My DH had his vasectomy at the ripe old age of 24 and had no problem finding someone to do it.

Maybe it would be an easier thing to find a doctor to do it to him though. My DH had his vasectomy at the ripe old age of 24 and had no problem finding someone to do it.

Thanks babygrl1234, I am trying to get him to go. It shouldn't be a problem with him, he is the one that didn't want any kids to start with. He is just a big chicken when it comes to doctors. You know how men are.:hurt

I had my tubal ligation when I was 35 years old. It was the best thing I ever did. That being said, they make you sign an infertility agreement to make sure its the right decision. I also was not banded and due to my weight of 308 the surgery wasn't as easy for me. Thankfully you have lost a lot of weight and they can do it laparscopically. My incisions were much bigger than that. Good luck. P.S. Lapband surgery was eaiser in my opinion.

I have no children and had a tubal ligation at the age of 24. The thought of having a child is my worst nightmare. And please don't feel that your child needs a brother or sister. I have a sister who's 4 years older than me, and she is without a doubt the worst thing that has ever happened to me. When I was a kid, everyday I would wish that I was an only child. Siblings can be a curse, not a blessing.

I found an older doctor who was nearing retirement and emphasized to him how a tubal would greatly improve my health and well-being, mentally and physically. I had a lot of severe side effects from birth control pills, and at the time, the efficacy of other types of birth control was not the best. If there was more than a 3% failure rate, I would not trust that form of bc. In my experience, older doctors and foreign doctors have a more relaxed attitude toward their patients. Younger American doctors are far too concerned about malpractice suits to do what's in the patient's best interest. Most doctors look out for themselves first, and I can't really blame them considering the litigious nature of our society now.

I respect anyone that has a child( or not ) and feels they do not want anymore.

In my case, I would love more than anything TO have children....

My husband and I have been together for alomost 12 yrs and well, I guess it just wanst meant to be.

We have considered adoption, however, they make it so expensive and you would think that with as many children in need, it would be that hard.... I have also even considered begging friends that have kids, that can have children to help us out....but life is what you get sevred and I just guess we werent meant to have kids.

It is heartbreaking at times as my husband adores children and I know he wants kids so badly...

anyway, You that can have children, consider your self blessed.

:think