Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being banded on Nov. 2

Hello everyone! I have been reading posts on this site for a couple of weeks now, but this is my first time writing in. I will be banded Nov. 2 (my birthday). I consider it a "re-birth"! I am being banded in Green Bay, Wisconsin (GO PACKERS!) by Dr. James Kemmerling. Any Wisconsinites out there? I started my pre-op liquid diet today and am currently drinking a Cappuccino Delight Slim-Fast. :tired I just weighed myself and I'm at 305. :cry I'm not sure what my ultimate goal is; maybe around 175.

Up until this week I have been really excited and confident, but now I am a bit worried. Not about the surgery itself, but about failing. I've read posts about people feeling no restriction and being able to eat as much as before surgery, even right after fills. And I worry about having the will-power after the surgery to truly maximize the benefits of the band. What was I thinking - getting banded with Halloween and the holidays fast approaching!

If anyone has any words of wisdom or tips, I'd be very appreciative if you shared them with me. Thanks!! :help:

Robin

Robin,

I'm hear ya!

I'm new as well and I had my first consultation today, with a hopeful surgery date of Nov 6 (if my labs come back OK). I am being banded at the MISH in Lenexa KS with Dr. Wanda Kaneiwski.

I feel that if we can make it through the Holidays, we can make it through all the rest of the "candy occasions" There will always be temtation, but with our new "tool" we will be able to handle it better than we have before.

I am using every weapon I have and that includes: A picture of me at my highest weight, which is right now 239. I don't like that picture and I don't want anymore taken of me looking like that. The second is that I am telling everyone, and so far they are all behind me and I know that they will support me in my endeavors. My family is so supportive as well as my friends. The thrid one is that I keep saying to myself, these holidays and gatherings are about the people, NOT the food. So I take my camera and make sure I capture it all. Stay busy.

That's my plan. I hope some of it may help you, and remember everyone here has been or will be in your shoes. Use them.

Good luck and see you on the banded side soon.

Susan

I hope you can surround yourself with these kinds of people. And we have already started by being a part of this website. Everyone here is behind us and rooting for our success.

Robin,

I will share the same BANDING Birthday ! November 2, 2007, I will be banded in Houston, Texas. I am happy that you are making a life change!

I have been skinny (did not know it....I was one with all the size 0 family when I was a healthy 10)....But now that I am 237 and miserable....I can not wait to be a NEW person!

You will make it through the Holidays!

:ranger::clap2:Welcome to all you new folks. Try not to worry the band does work. It really helps control hunger after you get a fill or two, and even before for some people. It is a great tool. You do have to do your part tho. It is just a lot easier to do. Donna

Thanks to those who wrote me words of encouragement! I really do appreciate it.

All I gotta' say is this liquid diet sucks!! I didn't think it would be this hard. I feel really sorry for the people who have to do it for longer than a week. I have 3 more days of it and even LOOKING at Slim-fast makes me want to gag!:faint: I have been blending a half a banana or some frozen raspberries in with the Slim-fast. Is that okay????:boink:

Cowgirl - good luck to you. I'll be thinking of you on our band date! I'm at 2:00 - what about you?

Thanks again!

Robin :xena_banana:

P.S. I weighed myself and I've apparently lost 8 pounds since Friday (Today is Monday). Perhaps that will provide me with the motivation I need to keep going!

Robin :boink:

:)Best of luck Robin Bird. You can do it! It may seem difficult at first, but hang in there the pay off is sweet. I also fear failing, but since my second fill I am no longer hungry. You will learn how to eat and think different. Please keep posting.

JP

Hello everyone! I have been reading posts on this site for a couple of weeks now, but this is my first time writing in. I will be banded Nov. 2 (my birthday). I consider it a "re-birth"! I am being banded in Green Bay, Wisconsin (GO PACKERS!) by Dr. James Kemmerling. Any Wisconsinites out there? I started my pre-op liquid diet today and am currently drinking a Cappuccino Delight Slim-Fast. :tired I just weighed myself and I'm at 305. :cry I'm not sure what my ultimate goal is; maybe around 175.

Up until this week I have been really excited and confident, but now I am a bit worried. Not about the surgery itself, but about failing. I've read posts about people feeling no restriction and being able to eat as much as before surgery, even right after fills. And I worry about having the will-power after the surgery to truly maximize the benefits of the band. What was I thinking - getting banded with Halloween and the holidays fast approaching!

If anyone has any words of wisdom or tips, I'd be very appreciative if you shared them with me. Thanks!! :help:

Robin

Robin- You will do fine. After you are banded you feel different about food. For me, I was on Clear liquids for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery. I lost a lot of weight during that stage. It was a wonderful kick start. You start to see weight coming off on a daily basis and you do not want it to stop. I still go out to eat, but I don't eat very much and I am satisfied. It is fine. If ya sit and think about how much food is served to ya in a restaurant, it is crazy. I had Carlos O'Kelly's the other day and brought home the leftovers enough for 3 more meals!

Here is some inspiration for ya! I was banded 11 weeks ago today. I am down 51 pounds, already halfway to goal! From a size 20-22 in August to a 12 today! I am alive now!!!!!!!!!:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

Surround yourself with supportive people. Tell people about your band, then there is more accountability! I know most of the people in my little town know about my band. They look at me to see if I am losing! That's great motivation!

Best of luck to you!