Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NHS Merseyside Waiting List

Hi Newbie here

I am going to see my dr in a couple of weeks to beg him for a lap band. I have a BMI of 49 and i am getting married next September.

Does anyone know if the Merseyside area provide lap bands o the NHS and what the waiting list is like

Thanks

Paula

probably too late in replying. only just joined this site. had my band feb 08 at murrayfield hospital - selfunded. had enquired re NHS but was told by PCT that had to go through a programme of being taught how to shop/cook etc!!! Have always known the theory applying it is the problem. After they tell you all this and you go through a psychological assessment approx 2 years has passed and then they still might say no - definitely not for me. Self funded, have lost 1 1/2

stones in 6 weeks and could not be happier. xx

probably too late in replying. only just joined this site. had my band feb 08 at murrayfield hospital - selfunded. had enquired re NHS but was told by PCT that had to go through a programme of being taught how to shop/cook etc!!! Have always known the theory applying it is the problem. After they tell you all this and you go through a psychological assessment approx 2 years has passed and then they still might say no - definitely not for me. Self funded, have lost 1 1/2

stones in 6 weeks and could not be happier. xx

Thanks for replying,

I went to the Dr in november and then had a letter in jan saying i had funding, i am probably going to have the op by the end of April. I was told nothing of a [rogramme of being taught etc.

Isnt it weird we are from the same pct and get 2 different answers! I generally use a forum called WLS Info forum, that is an extremely helpful and busy board

Paula

I think possibly I was being fobbed off by the PCT. My GP would have referred me but because my BMI was only 36 it is possible I would not be fat enough!! - never been there before!! I could have been referred but to be honest was not prepared to risk the hassle of waiting and then possibly not getting it anyway. Also suited me to pick the timing re work etc. Anyway it is done now and I feel more positive about weight loss than ever before.

Best of luck and let me know how you are getting on.

x

Hi

I had my surgery in 02 with Mr Kerrigan at Walton hospital, it was funded by Sefton Council, I waited 2 years from being referred by GP to date of surgery, today I have lost 10 stone, kept the weight off and still have the band in, Mr Kerrigan has now retired but Mr McAdam has taken his place, its worth the wait in my opinion unless you get a loan, happy to answer any more questions as kept the weight off since 04 and lost 129% o my excess weight

good luck sweetie

Danni x

Dear Danni99

Thanks for replying. You have done brilliantly and keeping the weight off must be the best feeling ever. Mr Kerrigan does private work at Murrayfield and I have been back once for a 1ml fill - did not really have any effect, am going back on 22nd may and hope for at least a couple! Have 9ml band and am not sure how much am supposed to need for a good restriction.

xx