Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nail polish removal before surgery

I understand the reason for the removal of nail polish on your fingers but I’m kinda confused about toe nail polish. My pre surgery instruction says both hands and toes but aren’t your toes going to be covered up in those surgical booties/socks anyhow???? I’m not trying to be a difficult patient but I have the type of toes that require nail polish. However don’t want to put my life at risk by having pretty polished toes either. What say y’all???

The Road 2 A Better Me

One physical sign your surgical team sometimes looks at to determine how you're doing...is capillary refill in your extremities. If you press a nail bed, it will go white and you can tell the circulation is good if it flushes right back to pink. If it stays white, there could be a problem with circulation in that limb.

Best to leave the polish off your toes, too. Sorry.

lol I never thought of that when I had socks on and was headed to surgery! Good point. Do they remove our socks and put them back on?!

One physical sign your surgical team sometimes looks at to determine how you're doing...is capillary refill in your extremities. If you press a nail bed, it will go white and you can tell the circulation is good if it flushes right back to pink. If it stays white, there could be a problem with circulation in that limb.
Best to leave the polish off your toes, too. Sorry.

[emoji17][emoji17][emoji17] thanks!!!

The Road 2 A Better Me

My standard pre-op instructions said no nail polish. I asked a pre-op nurse (when I was having pre-admission testing done) and she said it was fine to leave my gel manicure on. It’s worth asking!

I have one more appointment before my surgery on 2/28 and I’m gonna find out, thanks!

The Road 2 A Better Me

I asked my team and they said why would we have you take nail polish off? When I explained the capillary thing I had read on here they laughed and said we have plenty of instruments to keep tabs on that.

So yeah definitely ask.

funny because i never heard of this before and it wasn't given to me as instructions, my surgery is tomorrow and my friend is an anesthesiologist and he said nail polish had to come off ! But i called my hospital and they said i can leave it on--- it probably depends on your place and their equipment

funny because i never heard of this before and it wasn't given to me as instructions, my surgery is tomorrow and my friend is an anesthesiologist and he said nail polish had to come off ! But i called my hospital and they said i can leave it on--- it probably depends on your place and their equipment

I think it definitely has something to do with the equipment . They said I could even wear a light color on my fingernails but I’ll stick with clear.

The Road 2 A Better Me

I asked at my pre-op appt hospital appt today. :) She said, nope! So happy toes bring it on!!! (I always wear my lucky bright orange polish for surgeries!) :D

I asked at my pre-op appt hospital appt today. [emoji4] She said, nope! So happy toes bring it on!!! (I always wear my lucky bright orange polish for surgeries!) [emoji3]

I’m hyped too still have to decide what color they’re gonna be

The Road 2 A Better Me