Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dietitian/Nutritionist

I just wanted to say hello. I have been reading posts on this fourm for months. I decided to just drop in and say hi.

I am a Registered Dietitian/Licensed Nutritionist and this is really hard for me. I do have a lap band. NO ONE knows except the medical team I went through. I would be beatened by other fellow RD's if they knew. This has been a long humbling process for me. There was an RD who wrote an article about getting banded and a few of my co-workers made comments like "that's cheating, that's unhealthy, it is only for people who lack will power, etc." So, needless to say I feel like I am leading a double life.

One good thing, my MD is wonderful and asked me to prescribe my own pre- and post-op diet plan. I actually do out-patient counseling for aliving so, he told be to be my own patient.

Anyway, somedays I feel so ashamed to be a chubby dietitian, it is like being a hair stylist with a terrible hair cut or being a suicidal therapist.

But, I am what I am . . .human.

I just wanted to say hi. This is going to be one of the only places I can be myself.

Sorry to hear your fellow RDs are so narrow minded and ignorant. You've done a good thing for yourself and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it. Next time someone says the lap-band is cheating or taking the easy way out or only for those with no will power, tell them that people who opt for the band are smart for recognizing that they need medical help and brave for going through the journey to reclaim their health.

A so-called friend of mine just recently told me that it's all a matter of will power and I didn't really need the band. I told her to imagine that she's thirsty and then imagine telling yourself that you've had enough Water today and you don't need to drink anything more. She said that that would be awful. I pointed out to her that that was what I went through every single day before the band, except it was food, not Water that my body was telling me to consume. She hasn't said another word to me about "will power." I also pointed out that I have tons of will power. After all, I get up every day (weekends included) and go to a job that is torture. I also clean out 5 litter boxes twice a day every day no matter how much I don't want to do it. But no amount of will power can overcome biology.

Sorry for the ranting, but that's a sore spot for a lot of us bandsters. Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of helpful, supportive people here.

Thank you.

I love your will power analogy. It's a good one.

I actually had someone tell me how great of an RD I was and how I helped her lose 85#. She then proceeded to tell me I should take my own advice. OUCH!

I feel a lot of emotional pain around the whole issue. My husband thinks it's great that I decided to just be myself on this fourm.

Oh betty (((hug))) I cannot believe that you have had to hide this from the very people who should be helping you! It also worries me that they have that attitude to people who could be their patients!!!! I have to admit on the whole willpower thing I have never been that good at saying no to myself *ehem* but dya know what I am a successful mum of 6 who owns a company that employs well over 100 people so I cant be totally lacking in the willpower department can I ???

I actually see it as being very responsible getting the band fitted, I recognised that I had a problem and took the appropriate action.I have got some hassle off people cos my BMI was just on the borderline, but it had been steadily climbing for the last 4 years and if I had waited it would have just meant a bigger hill to climb when I did do something about it!

You are soooo right that you can be yourself here hon we are all in the same boat. Just because you know what you SHOULD eat doesnt mean that you WANT to eat it !! Does being a dietician suddenly effect the amount of willpower you have hon cos if it does where do I sign up!! LOL

Keep your chin up hon, we are all here for you !

Nina xx

hi betty,

i always "blamed" myself for being so out of control with food.

i belong to a 12 step program for another reason and in that instance...i know willpower doesnt have any place.

however i could never make the connection to food.< /p>

after getting banded.....i dont think this is all emotional. i really feel there is a physical component to the way i ate.

pre-banding i thought of food 24/7. since banding.....i now feel like i have normal hunger pangs. someone explained that the receptors that tell us we are full are at the top if the stomach (???) if this is so...it explains it to me.

i dont think the fact you are a dietician is a reason to beat yourself up. i knew everything and more about food, Vitamins, etc. it never helped me and maybe sometimes hindered my ability to be open minded.

what does matter is the fact that you have taken steps to make yourself healthy.

ood luck and i am glad you posted. i'm sure you feel a weight off your shoulders

Hello! I am not banded YET... I am working on selecting a doctor. I have a consult with 2 different ones to see which one I like best and who can get me in the soonest.

My mother is a dietitian so I know where you're coming from as well because she is overweight. As I have told my mother since she is considering the surgery..... it is a great place for her to start and you as well.

You could actually help the lapband communities with your knowledge. If I was you I would use the band to make write diets specific to the lapband... and to educate those that have it on nutrition and staying healthy... Putting a metal ring aroudn the stomach miight make us lose weight but it wont give us the nutrition we need... thats where you could come in :)

Thanks for checking in and we look forward to seeing you around the community.

Hi Dietician Betty,

My dietician is a blessing! If she told me one day she was lap-banded I wouldn't feel anything more for her other than a kindship, even though I'm not banded yet (hopefully soon!)

I was actually so accepting of all her ideas and help that she inspired me to maybe look into going back to school to become one myself. I would find it so very rewarding to help people who have a difficult time with eating and weight management. Now with what you have said, it seems I would be really out of place if that is how they really feel. I would think that dieticians would be pro any kind of means of weight loss, for that is something they work especially toward. If that's not true, then I think I will just continue the same everyday drawl I already do.

Thank you all. It is funny because my Bariatric MD that has overseen my progress/procedure asked me if I would work for him. He hought having an RD on staff that has been through the process would be ideal and an valuable resource. I said no. I guess on some level I am ashamed I could not lose the weight with out the band. I am working on my issues though. You are all great.

Welcome here!!! I am relatively new here myself, but I have found it to be a safe place to share and learn. As for your colleagues...they are human, too. Maybe you can educate them over time,

:whoo:

Oh betty, you should go for that job hon!!! I would sooooo much rather be seen by someone who wouldnt judge me, just think of the insight you could give them!!!

I am not ashamed hon, I use my limited amounts of willpower for more important things......like not killing the kids in the school hols!!!LOL

Nina x

My DH agrees. He thinks I should so take the job offer. I have become very passionate about my band and he thinks I could help a lot of people. I just don't know. Maybe someday I will come out of my banded closet, I am just not ready yet. Perhaps joining here and talking about it is a first step.

It is a bit more complicated than it seems too. I also do pediatric out-patient counseling. Just this week I had a 10 year old saying she wanted a lap band and her mom asking me to tell her her daughter how horrible, gross, unhealthy and un-natural it is, and asked me to talk her daughter out of it. My response to the daughter was, I do not think that banding is the right choice for you at this time. (I try to be as neutral as possible)--this kid was only 25# overweight, drinking 3 coke's a day, no fruit or veggies, etc. Banding was really not an option for this child.

BUT, I feel if I do "come out" many parents and patients will not chose me as their child's RD. I fear they will think I am pro-banding and that I would try to talk people into the band. I also think the Pediatrician's that refer patients to me might think twice. Maybe this is an irrational fear but . . .still a fear.:think

I feel great about comming out here. We will see how it goes.

I love the huggs I have gotten--so cute!

P.S. My doctor is amazing-- he knows how top secret this has all been. He just called me to see how I was doing and confessed to me that he smokes cigarrettes. He said he is trying to quit but told me everyone has their weaknesses and demons. Mine was food, despite my profession and his is smoking, despite his. He's so great-- all of you are. Thanks for the help!;)

Betty,

I'm just glad you found a place to feel "free". But don't kid yourself, probably every one of your colleagues has a monkey on their back. It's just that when it's food, we sort of "wear it" so people can see it.

But, I must say, that the job offer sounds really great. Can you imagine being "free" 24/7? I really do wish that for you.

Like I said though, the most important thing is that you are here and feel good about it! :clap2:

Marieze

hmmmm, I see your dilema.....

but there is no reason for you to wear the band on your arm so to speak, people only have to know if you thought it would help them, and as for being pro-bands I would say that you are in a better postion to advise people who are struggling with food issues , than someone who has never had to battle those demons!!!

Most kiddies dont have issues with food volume as much as unhealthy choices, and the band cant do that for you as we both know!!!!! I would argue that by the time you got your training your eating habits were already programmed in.

I do understand your fears (((((hug)))) but I dont know what to say to help ;)

It will work out hon!!

Nina xx