Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question regarding diabetes and lapband surgery

I have not had surgery yet, still meeting all my criteria for ins. co., but I am very nervous about how I will manage my diabetes and hypoglycemia during the pre-op and post-op dieting. Can anyone discuss this issue?:D

Hi Lonestar5212. I was banded on Monday, 10/22, and am also diabetic. I had no problems with the preop dieting. I did fine the day of surgery - it fact my blood sugar was high all day. Tuesday morning, though, mMy blood sugar dropped to 56. Since my doctor had said no fruit juice because of the acid, I tried some milk (skim milk does have sugar in it). When I rechecked 15 minutes later, I was at 51, and the surgeon said to go ahead and try orange juice. The juice caused some stomach upset and didn't sit too well, but it did work. The surgeon made some adjustments in my medication, and I'm checking my glucose levels frequently at home. I think you just have to be vigilant and monitor very closely. Have you talked to your doctors?

i have type 2 diabetes and have done very well. I was able to stop taking 2 shots a day 3 months after banding.

pm me if I can help,

edie

I am just at the very beginning of my journey, but obviously, this is a biggy. I haven't talked to my surgeon yet. But I talked to the dietician yesterday (my first visit) and she seemed to think that as long as I keep my Protein intake up, I will be fine. But I am concerned about the clear liquid diet, and especially right after surgery when everyone seems to say they couldn't eat. I have a list of suggested Clear Liquids from my surgeon's handout, and I don't see any protien or carb possibilities. I have to eat or my hypoglycemia will take me down fast, result being very serious. I will plan to go over this with my primary doctor and with the surgeon before I go forward. I just wanted to hear about personal experience, like the possibility of orange juice, because that is where reality lies. Thanks so much for sharing.

Lonestar, part of my postop clear liquid diet includes a whey Protein isolate powder that I mix with 8 ounces of Water and drink 3 times a day. Each serving has 23 grams of protein. Ask your surgeon or dietician about it. My dietician didn't tell me about the protein supplement until my final visit with her prior to surgery.

There are Protein powders that mix up clear, so there ARE options. I can't think for the life of me what brand it is or what to look for, so you might do a search on here, try Protein Drinks, post op diet, that sort of thing. If I come across one, I'll post a link here for you.

Lonestar - I am type 2 and I visited at length with my diabetes doctor before I had my surgery. Before surgery I was taking three shots, plus pills each day. She cut back on my shots a week before the surgery to avoid problems after surgery and then I monitored closely. My LB doctor did not put me on a pre-op diet and I was on liquids after surgery, but not "clear" liquids. I drank Protein drinks, etc. I am now off of all my diabetes meds! I am eating solids now and I just make sure I eat my Proteins first and then veggies, etc. My blood sugar is stable at 90-110 for the first time since I was diagnosed! I could not be happier! You are welcome to PM me also if I can help in any way!

Thank you guys soooo much for all the great information. I feel so much better. I will definitely do everything you all suggested. And now I feel I can definitely do this. Thanks again.;)

Oh, I forgot to tell you, during my pre-op testing, I found out that I'm diabetic. I had no idea prior to this. My A1C was almost 10. Doc decided not to start me on meds since my diet was obviously going to be changing after surgery....SO, 3 months after surgery, my A1C was 6.7, and 6 months out it was 5.7! Too bad I couldn't have had the surgery BEFORE I became diabetic!

That is sooooo awesome. That is my main reason for going for this surgery. I know what years and years of dealing with diabetes can bring. My A1C in my most recent bloodtest was 6.2. My doctor is totally convinced that I will be in the 5. something range as soon as I have this surgery. For that reason alone, I cannot imagine why the insurance companies wouldn't approve everyone with diabetes!! Look at all the healthcare issues we will be avoiding by losing weight and getting healthy!~ Congratulations to you on your constantly improving health!!!!

I just had to post on this!! I too am type 2, 24 years old, taking 5 shots per day with no orals...

I am just starting this WLS journey and I am so looking forward to losing the insulin as well as the weight!! It is so uplifting to hear others having such great success with their diabetes after surgery.

I cant wait to read more on this as I travel the road...

I just think to myself, before you know it, you'll be a completely HEALTHY person! That is a great thought. Good luck, and congratulations!! :clap2:

Hi, Arin! My doc is so tickled with my progress, and impressed that I am so determined to take control of my health WITHOUT the aid of meds. He was and still is very supportive of my decision to have the lapband surgery. He said if anyone asks about WLS, the only one he feels comfortable recommending is the lap-band! And he whole-heartedly supports anyone who decides to pursue it. I told him the next step is to get him all trained up to do my fills for me, so I don't have to drive 2 hours to get one. LOL!

Keep us in the loop with your progress as you get closer to having surgery. Are you approved through your insurance, or do you know yet?