Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have never participated in any forum, so someone please let me know if I'm doing it wrong.

I'm considering LBS and seeing if others are happy with it. I am one of the marginals - need to lose about 60 lbs. I have been dieting all my life, up, down and back up. I need help.

Hi beck,

Welcome! This is a great site with lots of information. We all have one thing in common - our weight issues, but our experiences with the lap band can differ from person to person. Thats why it is great to be informed, good and bad, enabling you to ask questions and be fully educated before you undergo surgery. I'm 8 weeks post surgery and am pleased I got the band. It hasn't been easy, but I don't regret it at all and as long as the scales keep going down, then I'm a happy camper!!

Good luck in your decision making!!

Nikki

Hi!

As nikki_s said, the experiences are different, but overall I can say that my LBS is working, and I'm very happy with the results. i just joined this forum yesterday, and have found lots of information.

Welcome and keep us posted.

Thanks guys.

I have ben feeling very depressed and so I really appreciate your positive comments.

With the LBS, I feel most concerned that I will be spending a whole lot of money (I don't think my insurance will pay under 35 BMI) and taking the serious risks associated with surgery and that it will not work for me. I have been on every weight-loss bandwagon - none have worked long term.

Does anyone one ever lose all the weight they need to lose? I don't think I would be happy being "only" 30 lbs overweight and I don't think that would resolve my associated health problems/risks.

I've lost 74 pounds..... and I am only 19 pounds away from my goal.

And I don't regret having the LBS.

Thank you Tonks. That is very encouraging! I haven't been within 20 lbs of my ideal weight in 10 years.

Do you really feel full after your meals or do you feel like you're dieting?

At first, with all the special diets you have to follow, I felt like I was dieting...... right now, I don't.

I can enjoy dinner out with friends and parties... but i just eat small portions.

In another topic in this forum we were talking about how in restaurants waiters keep looking at you when they seel your plate full, sometimes they ask if you dindn't like it if you would like to change it for something else.

That is funny and true!

As if they don't bring you three times as much as you need anyway. I've often wished for a restaurant that served half the portion for half the price. lol.

I keep hearing that getting your Protein in can be a problem. Will I have to eat meat?

Hi beck & Tonks

Prior to surgery I too was worried it wouldn't work, but it does for me.

It is just a tool, but if you are sensible and follow the rules, it's great. That being said, I don't always follow the rules but it is trial and error! - and I'm only human.

I'm concerned about reaching a plateau now. On previous diets, I usually last around 3 months (or 12kg loss), then I lose motivation and pile it all back on again, plus some!

So far I've lost 15kg (sorry,not sure how many pounds) and I'm happy but have around another 16.5kg to go. The difference is now that I still see the support team so I'm hoping at my psych and physio appointments that I find the secret to keeping motivated and keep losing! This site also helps keep me motivated.

Becks, you asked about being able to lose all the weight you need to lose. This was a concern for me also. My surgeon believes I can and so do I. Just look at the before and after section. In particular, a thread by Chickie is big inspiration for me. She lost 100% of her excess weight and looks fantastic!!

Nikki

NIkki_S and Beck,

Concerning the issue of being able to lose all the weight, I believe is possible, I am only 19 pounds away from my ideal weight. (I believe that is like 9 Kg, but I'm not sure)

Thats great Tonks, you must feel really good !

Can't wait to get closer to my goal. I'm about 1/2 way now and hope to make a little more progress before Christmas!!

Nikki