Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugars or Sweeteners?

How do you guys do with sugar? Or sweeteners?

I strictly avoid processed sugars. I have a sweet tooth and that is one of the major causes that contributed to my weight gain over my lifetime. I limit myself to artificial sweeteners (such as Splenda and sugar alcohols), to natural low calorie sweeteners (such as Stevia) and to the natural sugars found in fruits and milk. I had diabetes. That went into remission when I left the hospital two days after surgery and I have not taken any diabetic medicine ever since and my blood sugar levels are good. I am almost 5 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. I test my blood sugar levels periodically. I read the labels of all food that I consume. I look at the grams of sugar per serving. If it is above 5 grams, I look at the ingredients. The ingredients are listed in order by highest percentage, and if the first 5 ingredients contain processed sugar (in any of its many forms), then I avoid this food, like a plague.

I don't do regular sugar anymore. I just use sweeteners like Stevia or Splenda (If I'm not home and there are no other options).

Usually just regular sugar gives me nausea so I don't even mess with it. Stevia has been my main use for sweetening drinks and stuff now.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-143
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Small in shirts. depends on how it's cut or made.
Bra Size- 38D

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

I love sugar....but here's the problem with sugar...it's absorbed into the blood really fast (sugar spike), and tells your pancreas to make insulin fast, too. So your pancreas goes...OMG! Look at this rush of sugar, I'd better make a TON of insulin (insulin spike)!

But then, after the sugar is taken care of, there's insulin left over and blood sugar gets a little too low...which triggers your hormones to go...OMG, we're running out of food...we NEED more SUGAR!

So you end up with a biological craving for sugar...that makes you eat more sugary things...or other simple carbs like white bread or fruit juice...and the whole process starts over again:)

Round and round you go.

I try to be mindful of picking low glycemic carbs...sugars that will enter the blood slower...whole gains, etc.

For my really sugary stuff...fruit, milk, naughty regular sugar.....I am mindful of that boomerang effect. I eat small quantities and when I predictably get hungry again....I break the cycle with something low glycemic, or I just tough it out because knowledge is half the battle.

I get along great with Splenda. I hate Stevia...just tastes God-awful to me.

After sleeve I've noticed that if I try to eat too much refined sugar, I won't get true full-on dumping syndrome, but I'll feel a little nauseated and crappy...so maybe a touch of it. It's a good reminder and I'm happy to have it.