Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 10/3/07

Hi, I just found your forum. I was banded on Oct 3, 2007, in Monterrey, MX by Dr. Miguel Zapata. He is a really great dr and the hospital was very nice. I was a self-pay so I did a lot of research before I chose a dr (almost 1 1/2 year!). I'm doing ok, still really sore around my port area but other than that, no problems. Uncomfortable at night, but since I don't sleep much anyway, just have to find something to take my mind off it (A pillow held against the stomach does help). My friend and I stayed in Monterrey a couple more days. Banded Wens, on Thurs and Fri we went shopping in old town Monterrey, had a great time. Got in enough walking to get rid of a lot of gas! Will get my 1st fill on Nov 14th. I have lost 13 lbs since the surgery, am trying to control my eating until my fill since I have no compression right now. My downfall is chocolate, wine and men. No problems though, since I haven't had any (cholocate, wine OR men) for quite a while! I had a really hard time finding a fill dr near me (VA/MD/DC). I posted in one of the other forums, I don't understand why the drs in the US are so prejudiced against Mexico bandsters. Some of the receptionists were quite rude about not accepting Mexico patients. Their loss. It's really great to find you people, I've read a few of the posts (I hope "no sex" is doing ok, she's better off without that scumbag of an ex). I'll try to read some more posts daily so I can get to know all of you. Not much to tell about me. I wear hats every day hoping to bring back a civilized society, and love shoes (hey, "somebody" had to teach Imelda how to shop for shoes!). Some of my hats are fabulous with feathers, bows, etc, etc. Catch you all later.

:)Laura:kiss2:

I'm curious. I have seen many postings from those who were banded in Mexico. Why did you have to go all the way there ? Is it for insurance reasons? I know if my insurance wouldn't cover me then I too would be looking for some place to have it done. I think you are brave going to another country to have it done. I don't know if I would of had the guts. Good luck to you. I hope you have great success.

Bekkie

I was self pay so I did a lot of research. My ins appr me for gastric by pass but not lap band.Go figure! I decided after seeing what my friend went through, I couldn't do staples. The main reason I went to Mexico was the experience and qualifications of the dr I used. Doing lap-bands since the mid-90s,way before US drs got into it. Cost was secondary, it was nice to get the surgery for under $8K, but I was willing to pay the $11K to 15K here in the US but US drs lag way behind Mexico (and other countries)in lap band experience. Dr had references, good and bad,from prior patients. Of the 14 I contacted, only one had problems and that was with a low pain threshold. My 2nd reason was the hospital in Monterrey. Very good reputation among medcical professionals (yes I checked that also). Plus a dr I know socially knew the general manager of the hospital, so I was able to talk to him. My friend who was stapled went with me "to keep an eye on things". She was skeptical at first but also really liked Dr. Zapata after meeting and talking to him and loved the hospital. I don't regret it for a moment. He was really great. Just hate that these US drs seem to not respect the Mexico drs.And the funny thing is, I have read a lot ofposts from MX lapsters and almost all of them had a good experience and likedthe drs! So that's the story. :)Laura

food, food,food,I've been obsessed with it. The 1st week, I ate nothing but cottage cheese and yogurt. The 2nd week, the same plus a little oatmeal & clear Soups. Jello, jello, jello. A little bullion. I have just graduated to scrambled eggs and had a piece of ww toast todaywith a banana.Trick is to chew, chew, chew.Oh and mashed potatoes. I have lost 14 lbs as of today, my first fill will be 11/14, I hope. Hope this helps.

:)Laura

I was banded the day before in youngstown, Ohio

what is the calorie expectation for most of you at this stage?

I am consuming no more than 650 per day right now...

dlyrical.