Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill doctors

I have only been on this forum for a short while, one thing I wonder about which I haven't seen discussed. Or haven't found it yet, there are so many topics. Why do the drs in the US refuse to fill Mexico patients? When I started researching the lap-band method over a year ago, I found that US drs were way behind Mexico in both number of drs performing the operation and experience in the procedure. When I started looking for a dr, I spent hours researching their experience, credentials, etc, everything I could find about them. The dr I finally chose, Dr. Miguel Zapata, has been doing lap-bands since the mid-90s, his feedback from patients is good and his professional credentials are excellent. In person, he is a very caring dr. Way above what I found most of the US drs to have, especially experience. So why do US drs ignore us? Are they just irked because they lost the money to Mexico? (Quite a bit, since most of them are 2-3x the cost of the Mexico surgery!) After calling drs and hospitals this last week trying to find a local dr for my fills, it was very disheartening. Some of the receptionists were downright rude about Mexico surgery. So does anyone have any answers? Thank you. Laura:phanvan

I think you hit it right on the head the us doctors are mad because they lost the initial money. Plus you usually can find a fill doctor in the us but @ $375. a fill. We are lucky here in Washignton State we have the northwest fill managment with Kitty and Robin they do fills for $150. then $125 there after. They also come to our monthly meetings every other month and preform fills. Best of luck finding a doctor in your area.

I've not heard of any who refuse...it's rumored but I put it to the test. I went to 6 doctors in my area...just saw an ad for lapband or was passing by...they ALL would have taken me as a patient.

But fillcenters usa was cheaper...so that's who I went with...their doctor who also does these procedures.

I didn't say, "hey, was banded in Mexico...can I get a fill?" No, I called or went in and said I was banded a while back, just moved to the area.."

yes, I checked out the ones you mention, plus Johns Hopkins, George Washington University Hospital, Fairfax Inova Hospital, Prince William Hospital, and on and on. As soon as I said Mexico, they said no. As far as fillcentersusa goes, the nearest one to me appears to be about 300 miles from me. I did find a dr about a 2 hr drive from me in MD I will probably be using. Thanks for your help. Laura

I did find one who quoted me $500 for initial visit, then if he decided to take me as a patient, it would be $250 afterward! So I am glad I found Dr. Brinkley, $200 a visit and not too far. :)Laura