Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I eating too much for 10 days post-op?

Well, I had gastric bypass on 12/20/2017. I am absolutely amazed at how easy my recovery has been. I was expecting much worse and I almost wonder if my surgeon just made incisions and didn't do anything, LOL. In all seriousness, I am very fortunate and happy to be doing so well. Today is 10 days post-op and I have a question about what I am eating.

So my surgeon told me to start with 64 oz of liquids and 50 g of Protein a day. Once I could get that down I could move on to plain yogurt, cottage cheese, and applesauce. So I started yogurt and applesauce 3 days out with no issue, then added cottage cheese 4 days out (only a small amount). Then once I could eat about a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, I tried the next phase (mashed veggies) about 6 days out. It hurt at first so I waited to try mashed sweet potato again yesterday (9 days out). It went really well!

So my question is this: this morning (day 10) I ate an entire half of a medium sweet potato (mashed up) with no problem! It took me about 10 minutes to eat it all. I was led to believe that I wouldn't be able to eat this much for a while. Is this normal or did I already stretch my stomach or something? I don't see my surgeon until Jan 2 because of Xmas and New Year's, so I wanted to get some reassurance.

You’re fine. I was the same way only I was on liquids until week 3 post op. Once I was moved to more regular food I can’t eat a lot. I can eat about 2-3oz of fish. A bite of veggies with it. That’s it.

Thank heavens for your post!

I have had a really easy recovery from my surgery 14 Dec, and I am the same re eating. I said to my partner “maybe he just did the cutting, took my band out, and no bypass” - I feel like I could eat anything!!

Today - pottle of yoghurt for Breakfast. I take 10 mins because I am supposed to, but not because of how it feels. lunch - an Oopsie roll (look up the recipe - great!) with 1/4 cup cottage cheese. Over 15 mins.

I did have a soft boiled egg yesterday which I ate too fast - bit of a lump in my chest, very mildly thought I might be sick, a bit clammy. So that might be my ‘dumping’ ensation if I eat too fast?

Am up to 50 G Protein, 700 calories a day. Effortless. I get tempted to push, see what I can eat, but am resisting. Wisely, while surgery so fresh!

(Also, for me, no weight loss since Wednesday! Sigh.)

Edited by Biddynz

My brother in law was the same way, easy peasy. I think the recovery is just different for everyone.