Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

starting to collect information about LB

Hi- I'm 55 and very overweight. Need to start finding out the real facts and I thought....go to the people who have had the surgery. I want to know if people are comfortable with a band inside them. Are there concerns about the materials that make the bands causing other problems down the road (like silicone did)? Do people keep it forever? Do you learn to eat properly? Every and all questions.

How does one start on this journey:car:

Gwenn

Hi Gwenn,

I am 41 today. I love my band! I had my band put in on June 18th of this year and I have lost 61 lbs so far. I have gone from a pant size of 22/24 to a 16/18 depending on style. I was tired of pinning up my pants so they wouldn't fall off so I went shoppin this last Sunday to buy myself some b-day presents and I had so much fun trying on cute clothes. Since I have been wearing clothes that actually fit people at work cannot quit telling me how great I look. I have to be honest, I am a big worry wart. Proably because I was told 2 1/2 yrs ago I had a lung disease and was going to die and then put on an extra 83 lbs from the 4 different steroids I was on and this last May my pulmonary doctor gave the ok to have my surgery. Of course my insurance did not pay even though I had a high BMI and 3 doctors recommending surgery. I did freak out for the 1st month but once I saw the weight loss that went out the window. I would be happy to be your band buddy and asnswer any questions you might have but I am still learning myself so please feel free to ask but also keep researching. I do not feel my band in me but I know now the difference from head hunger and real hunger. I am glad you are looking into this and I wish you the best of luck.

Cat

Thanks. I very much appreciate the offer. So many questions. I probably should do some basic reading and checking my insurance, etc.

My brother-in-law has lost 100 pounds with the band. Not many problems. Just is freaking me out. I don't feel I can ask him questions because....you know how family can be. If I ask, then he makes himself the absolute authority and that's not my style.

Do you happen to know if there's a section where one can find local doctors for banding?

Many thanks-Gwenn

HI Again. I've been off for a few days. Had a lot to think about. I still appreciate your offer. I'm having a little trouble finding replies and going back to things on the site..there's so much! but I'll get there. I've decided to go forward and start the process. I've already been through the hospital's nutritionist and I'm in therapy with one of their people anyway, so I may be well on my way. I think at this point I'd do it tomorrow. My asked my internist and I was actually shocked at how much he wants me to do this. Amazing. And the therapist. And I had a long talk with a relative who has had it done as well. Hope I can find you again. I look forward to speaking with you.

Gwenn

Hi Gwenn, if you want to talk to Cattiff again you can send her a private message by clicking on her name. I was banded 3 days ago but I'm stil in the new stages so I wouldn't be much help to you. I'm still in a bit of pain and haven't worked the food stage yet. It's a scarey process but from what I've read here and other places, it's worth it. Good luck on your journey. :)

HOPE YOU'RE FEELING GREAT VERY SOON. Thanks for the message. I will connect. There are so many terrific people here. I just an impatient to start the process now. Best of luck. Gwenn

Thanks Gwenn, I hope you find what you're looking for on here... it certainly helped me. Why don't you go with the doctor that your brother-in-law went to?

Easy one....he's in NY and I'm in LA. LOL

I really had a long talk with my sister because she has lived and breathed this with him. I've put off speaking to him a bit because, love him as I do, he can be kind of bossy if you ask him things that he's been successful with....you know what I mean? Sometimes he doesn't realize that his experience may not be everyone's. So she's talking him to him about taking it easy with me. And sometimes, some things are different for women.

The big one I think about is.....I often eat when I'm not hungry now. What's different with the band. I read people saying that they're full. But most of us who have become obese aren't eating out of physical hunger. Does it really feel different or is it the fear of getting sick, or what?

Thanks-Gwenn

I know the type Gwenn ! :) I can't answer the food question yet since it's only been 2 days for me and I'm still feeling a little off. The 2 people I know who did it and have lost all their weight both say food is no longer that important to them. The young girl I know said that she still eats chocolate & ice cream but only very small amounts. She said that something clicks in the brain and you don't want it. One thing I have noticed today being back at home is I could easily forget that I can't and go and pick something up... I'm sure that will pass with the surreal feeling I have at the moment.

My sister said he had a hard time at the beginning, but when he had a bad reaction to something, it started to teach him.....LOL...like an internal cattle prod I guess.

Now she said he sometimes tells her that an urge comes over him to eat everything on the plate. More like a reformed smoker or drinker that sometimes has the feeling. He has something he really likes, like ice cream, and then it passes.

Thanks and feel better fast!

Gwenn