Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey there, I have been tirelessly searching about having the gastric sleeve done. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on it for me. The good the bad the ugly. Anything. Also, while I make decent money and have great insurance, my insurance is notorious for not accepting this procedure so I’m seriously contemplating going to Mexico. Other than being obese, I am otherwise healthy.

So if anyone wants to stop by, say hey, leave advise, I would be grearful!

Thanks in advance.

Courtnie ♥️

Hi,

I got my sleeve 4 months ago and have lost 45 kg (100 pounds).

It is by far the best decision I've ever made, I haven't regretted it for a minute.

I had a great surgeon who was very supportive and provides excellent followup.

Good luck on your journey!

The operation can be expensive and therefore it is very good if it is covered. Review your policy statement for surgery. Many of the health insurance policies are written very similar. Mine reads:

Surgical treatment of obesity (bariatric surgery) is covered only if:

- eligible enrollee is 18 of age or over

- clinical records support a body mass index of 40 or greater (or 35-40 when there is at least one co-morbidity related to obesity). Applicable co-morbid conditions include the following:

* Type II diabetes mellitus (by American Diabetes Association diagnostic criteria).

* Refractory hypertension (defined as blood pressure of 140 mmHg systolic and or 90 mmHg diastolic) despite medical treatment with maximal dose of three antihypertensive medications.

* Refractory hyperlipidemia (acceptable levels of lipids unachievable with diet and maximum doses of lipid lowering medications).

* Obesity–induced cardiomyopathy.

* Clinically significant obstructive sleep apnea.

* Severe arthropathy of the spine and or weight bearing joints (when obesity prohibits appropriate surgical management of joint dysfunction treatable but for obesity).

- Documentation of failure to lower the body mass index within the last 12 months through a medically supervised program of diet and exercise of at least 6 months duration.

So if you are healthy, no co-morbities, it would mean that you have to have a BMI of 40 or greater to qualify. Also some insurance policies consider RNY gastric bypass surgery to be the standard for bariatric surgery and might disqualify gastric sleeve because it has not been around as long as gastric bypass. Anyways the first step is to read the fine print on your policy. Many health insurance policies are on-line today, if you do not have a paper copy.