Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here

Guest Musicman72

Guest Musicman72

Hello everyone!!!

I just joined this site on Jan 11, 2005. I've been thinking of getting either lap band or bypass done for at least the last year. Plus my mom has been trying to get me to go the extra step and actually get it done for a while too. I've been leaning WAY towards the lap band, because of alot of the reasons alot of you did: its reversable, adjustable, slower weight loss.

Oh, suppose I should tell ya some more about who I am, huh?? Well, my name is Neil, and I'm 32. I live in Oshkosh Wisconsin and I've been handicapped since birth. When I was younger I never really had any major issues with my weight, but when I got to my sophomore year in high school, my belly started getting bigger, and it never got smaller. Currently I weight about 275. I'm 5'5" and in a wheelchair. I know its just an excuse, but being in a wheelchair its been hard for me to do much of any kinds of exercise. I used to go to the YMCA alot and lift weights, but I'd lose 20 lbs and I'd be stuck on a plateau. I just got sick of leveling out all the time. So I've seriously been trying to get info together about which proceedure I'd rather have done. I have a friend who had the gastric bypass, and she hasnt had any major problems yet, and she's over a year post op. She's lost 100+ pounds, and she seems very happy. Only negative she told me about was "sneaky gas that could clear a room" lol. But I looked up alot of info, and the biggest things that make me want the band, is its reversable and its adjustable. So I may not lose weight fast, but I'll still lose weight, and thats what matters....right??

I just went today to talk to a dietician because I happened to bring up the Lap Band surgery to my doctor, and he said that "you need to fail at other weight loss methods before they will approve you for those types of surgery". Well, I kinda think thats a crock of BS, but it cant hurt to see a dietician. So I have a good idea of what I need to do to lose the weight, but I still believe the banding will benefit me no matter what. For one, it will DEFINATELY help with Portion Control. I've never been very good with that!!

I guess thats about all I have to say for now. Sorry if this has kinda jumped all over the place.

Thanks for letting me ramble!!!

Neil

Welcome Neil! Please browse through the board, there are a lot of post that you would benefit from. Read, Read, Read everything you can. Knowledge of this will help you even talk to your doctor. Good Luck!

Welcome Neil... When I started my reserch on the Lap-Band this site helped me a lot.. I knew i wanted the LapBand over the bypass but this site confrimed every question I ha. Read everything it is so helpful

Guest Musicman72

Probably going to be spending alot of time reading through posts over the next few days.

Hi musicman and Welcome! Glad you found us.

One question....whats with the name "musicman"??? Do you play anything?

Welcome Neil and good luck with getting your band! I think you have already done good deciding which one is right for you and only you can make that choice.

My Ins company did require a 6 month Dr. supervised diet for me also which wasn't a problem for me because I had a 1 year Documented diet already lost 54 pounds then I gained it plus some. I do know also 1 of the psychologist questions was if I had ever been on a diet to lose weight before, he said 1 guy that came to him before answered no he had never been on a diet and thats why he wanted the band, because it would MAKE him diet, he told him that was not the right answer to say because the band can not make you do anything . It is a tool and what you do with it is up to you. So really think about what you say about a diet before surgery because it may be required to see if you are willing to make a commitment to change your lifestyle with food. It is not to talk you into a diet and out of the band. I just felt like you might want to look at this a different way and it might help you in the long run to show them you are willing to do whatever it takes to get banded... even if it takes a little longer I know it will be worth it for you. Please let us know how everything goes and I wish you lots of luck.

Welcome Neil... Everyone on this board will become an inspiration to you. I know they all have became one to me.. Good luck..

Guest Musicman72

Paula, yes I've played guitar since I was 12 years old. TECHNICALLY I started taking lessons when I was 7, but I got my own guitar when I was 12. Took two years of bugging my parents to get me one!! I've also been a DJ for a radio station and for a DJ service. Plus I just love listening to music. Being handicapped, I dont get out a whole lot in the winter, so I need something to pass my time. So basically I'm on the computer alot listening to music.

I love LOVE the guitar. Actually I love all the strings. Hubby plays the guitar and son is learning piano. Lets see... Im 35, you are 32, I bet we grew up listiening to the same thing.... overflow of the 70's??? (Lyn. Skenard, Doobie Bro's to name a couple)

This is waaaaay off LBT - sorry!

Me either... My dog even barks at me if I try to sing... but a lot in my family plays intruments.. like drums and guitar... I will settle for my scrapbooking hehehe

Hi, Neil, how much weight are you wanting to lose? Do you have any other health problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, etc? Now this is just the Mom in me, but please don't refer to yourself as handicapped. You are physically challenged to do some things differently than the average person does. But that's not the total picture of who you are! It's apparent you have many strengths and talents... playing guitar, working as a dj, your knowledge in music. And that's just the things that you've shared with us. I know you have many others.