Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

This is my first post. I was banded on Aug. 9 2007, and had my first fill, on Oct. 12 2007. 1 c.c.

My surgeons were Glasgow & Glasgow in Walpole, Ma.

Most of my weight loss was from the 2 week liquid diet pre-op, and the 2 week liquid diet post-op. I started at 225 lbs., and I am now at 197 lbs.

I did notice that I started loosing quite a bit of hair, 1 month after the surgery. So far, if I make sure I get enough Protein, I don't loose any more hair than what is normal shedding. (50g protein) Having tried a Protein Drink my hubby uses, and finding it was disgusting, I now use unjury. I find that if I use the unflavored Unjury, and the chocolate UNJURY, and mix it with my sugar free CIB's (Carn. Instant breakfast) it tastes just fine!

O.K. So now to the totally honest part. :faint: I HATE EXERCISE! :faint: There it is! That being said, I hate death even more.

My mom was a insulin dependent diabetic, and had ESRD (end stage renal disease, A.K.A. Kidney disease). She passed away last July, nine days shy of her birthday. YES it was sad, but it was also very sad watching her slowly deteriorate before our eyes.

Where do I come in? I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic at 35, and I really didn't see how I was going to be any different than my mom. I was taking 1000 metformin every a.m. And p.m., along with advandia, lipitor, and lisinopryl. The next step was injectable insulin! Even though my mom was never overweight, ( Yep, FAT, call em like I see um) diabetes runs in her family. I sure didn't want to die the way my mom did, if I could help it.

Here's the EXCERCISE part! Everything is more difficult the fatter you are, especially exercise. When you have no motivation to exercise, you sure don't do it when you're fat. So now that I have lost some weight, I like the feeling of bending over to tie my shoes. I also joined Curves for a year, and I prepaid, so there are NO EXCUSES! While I still don't really like exercise, I can at least do it. I had my first day at Curves yesterday, even though the owner is a skinny mini, she is encouraging. I was welcomed, and shown how to use the equipment. The people were there to exercise, not to judge, or check out their next Sat. Nite date.

My decision wasn't one of should I have the lap-band done, it was WHEN. The answer was ASAP!! I didn't want to inflict the pain of watching another family member die, onto my family, especially if I could do something about it. So, today I don't take any medications, unless I test my blood sugar, and see I need to take a little bit. I now only take 500mg of metformin (glucophage) in the a.m. When my sugar is high. Now, my high readings are 130, not the old high readings of 150 and over!

To encourage others; if you think you need help, help yourself. Seek out help, talk to a lap-band surgeon, see if it's right for you. You may think you are the only one hurt by being fat, you're not. Ask many questions, the only stupid question, is the one NOT asked!! This is a journey, we all eventually die, it's how we LIVE that makes us ALIVE. I don't think people die well, I think they LIVE WELL!

I like being able to read other peoples posts, get advice, and read about things that have, or could happen. I love to read the honest and real experiences of the posters. I thank them for sharing their stories, so my journey is easier.

Thanks!

Welcome to Bandland! Keep going to curves, it helps. I went to curves for a year prior to banding, and now I have a membership at the Y. I need to focus more on weights (yuck) so that is where I am.

Hello,

This is my first post. I was banded on Aug. 9 2007, and had my first fill, on Oct. 12 2007. 1 c.c.

My surgeons were Glasgow & Glasgow in Walpole, Ma.

Most of my weight loss was from the 2 week liquid diet pre-op, and the 2 week liquid diet post-op. I started at 225 lbs., and I am now at 197 lbs.

I did notice that I started loosing quite a bit of hair, 1 month after the surgery. So far, if I make sure I get enough Protein, I don't loose any more hair than what is normal shedding. (50g protein) Having tried a Protein Drink my hubby uses, and finding it was disgusting, I now use unjury. I find that if I use the unflavored Unjury, and the chocolate UNJURY, and mix it with my sugar free CIB's (Carn. Instant breakfast) it tastes just fine!

O.K. So now to the totally honest part. :faint: I HATE EXERCISE! :faint: There it is! That being said, I hate death even more.

My mom was a insulin dependent diabetic, and had ESRD (end stage renal disease, A.K.A. Kidney disease). She passed away last July, nine days shy of her birthday. YES it was sad, but it was also very sad watching her slowly deteriorate before our eyes.

Where do I come in? I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic at 35, and I really didn't see how I was going to be any different than my mom. I was taking 1000 metformin every a.m. And p.m., along with advandia, lipitor, and lisinopryl. The next step was injectable insulin! Even though my mom was never overweight, ( Yep, FAT, call em like I see um) diabetes runs in her family. I sure didn't want to die the way my mom did, if I could help it.

Here's the EXCERCISE part! Everything is more difficult the fatter you are, especially exercise. When you have no motivation to exercise, you sure don't do it when you're fat. So now that I have lost some weight, I like the feeling of bending over to tie my shoes. I also joined Curves for a year, and I prepaid, so there are NO EXCUSES! While I still don't really like exercise, I can at least do it. I had my first day at Curves yesterday, even though the owner is a skinny mini, she is encouraging. I was welcomed, and shown how to use the equipment. The people were there to exercise, not to judge, or check out their next Sat. Nite date.

My decision wasn't one of should I have the lap-band done, it was WHEN. The answer was ASAP!! I didn't want to inflict the pain of watching another family member die, onto my family, especially if I could do something about it. So, today I don't take any medications, unless I test my blood sugar, and see I need to take a little bit. I now only take 500mg of metformin (glucophage) in the a.m. When my sugar is high. Now, my high readings are 130, not the old high readings of 150 and over!

To encourage others; if you think you need help, help yourself. Seek out help, talk to a lap-band surgeon, see if it's right for you. You may think you are the only one hurt by being fat, you're not. Ask many questions, the only stupid question, is the one NOT asked!! This is a journey, we all eventually die, it's how we LIVE that makes us ALIVE. I don't think people die well, I think they LIVE WELL!

I like being able to read other peoples posts, get advice, and read about things that have, or could happen. I love to read the honest and real experiences of the posters. I thank them for sharing their stories, so my journey is easier.

Thanks!

Welcome.

I too had my surgery with the Glasgows. Mine was on 7/26. I was alot heavier than you though. I started at 324 and now I'm 249 - down 75!

I actually like the exercising part - though my exercise is all walking - and a little bit of eliptical. I bought an MP3 player - so I listen to great walking music and escape every time I walk. I don't want to think about how slow the weight loss would be without the exercising. I walk between 4 to 5 miles per day.

Do you go to the support groups. If so, maybe I'll see you there.

Good luck.