Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who did this prior to being banded?

Did you tell people you were having it done?

Did you eat like you were never going to eat again?????:hungry:

Did you establish an exercise program?

What was your favorite Protein drink and where did you purchase.

:help:

Did you eat like you were never going to eat again?????hungry.gif

I haven't been banded yet...16 more days!! But I can answer your questions.

I am telling only the people that I would normally share personal info with.

I am actually eating more carefully and smaller amounts to get into better, life long habits.

Since I've lost weight from eating smaller amounts and substituting, this week, 2 meals with a Protein Drink, I have been exercising regularly because I feel so good!

I really like Atkins Advantage and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury

Yes, I saw no reason to hide it, nor did I see how I *could* hide it. Family and close friends that is, not all and sundry.

No. I resolved not to do this. Nothing would have made me feel more hopeless and well FAT than to do this. My new life started the minute I made the decision to be banded.

Yes. It was very moderate compared to what I now do but I felt like I could take positive action and start my new life whilst I waited for my surgery date. I knew it would help me recover from surgery.

What was your favorite Protein drink and where did you purchase

I dont drink them and never did.

My bmi was higher than my surgeon likes for banding, so as soon as I made up my mind I had to lose weight. So, I started dieting on 4/23, though I wasn't banded until 7/26/07. Though, I did go through a weekend of "last eating". I had to have some of my favorite things before the two week pre-op liquid phase. I probably shouldn't have, but I don't regret it.

I did tell people I was having it done. They've all been very supportive, with the exception of one friend who is very leary of modern medicine anyway.

I had been walking one or two miles per day most days of the week prior to being banded. However, once my mind was made up I made sure that I didn't miss a day - even though my feet were killing me. Not easy carrying 324 pounds around.

I don't like "Protein drinks". I drank sugar free carnation instant Breakfast with added Protein powder from GNC. I never tried any others. This was tolerable.

Good luck, and wish you alot of success.

I all but shouted it from the rooftops.

Before I started my 3 weeks on Optifast, yeas. Thankfully, I didn't gain too much weight doing that.

I really tried to, but it was only after I had been banded that I really found the motivation I needed.

After the liquid stages, I stopped drinking Protein, so I am of no help there. Sorry!

Best of luck to you!

I told close friends and relatives, thats all.

Never did the last meal/last foods thing. I started a liquid type diet way prior to being banded

I have been using my personal weight equipment all along, but now that the food is limited, I can see more results

Body Fortress whey Protein in choclate is awesome and a good source of Protein

All of my family and friends knew, and it was not kept a secret, if they told others, they told. I now receive calls from friends of freinds who have questions about banding---it has never been a secret.

I had some fears of being unable to eat certain things, and I did find myself eating more of that. Like I read on here I would not be able to eat grilled cheese---so I had a few over the weeks leading in!!! But as for a huge food fest---no I was afraid they would cancel my surgery if I gained rather than lost weight.

I was walking then. I have a tumor in the fibula of my leg, which keeps me from doing anything extremely strenuous--without risking my leg just up and breaking---so I was doing a mile or sometimes 2 prior---on a school track. Now I walk in the hills, and ride an elliptical trainer, and go to Curves. Also do some light free weights---lots more than I had done before banding, and before losing the first say 50 pounds.

I used unjury unflavored Protein Powder (Welcome to the Unjury Homepage) with several different flavorings, either sugar free syrups from DaVinci, or SF/FF pudding mix---but I only drank them during the healing phase, as soon as I was able to eat a full diet again, I have attempted to get all of my nutrients through my food, although I do take Multivitamins.

Good plan to get your questions answered now!!!

Good Luck, and welcome to LBT!!!

Kat

My family was in on the decision the whole step of the way. My coworkers were told once the surgery date was set.

I am eating regularly, but weaning off my trigger foods. I figure by the time I am banded, which is just 3 months away, I won't crave these items.

I am going to enjoy the steak, shrimp and lobster over the next few months since it seems that it will be close to a year after the banding before I can eat those again.

I started on Slim Fast, 3 mornings a week, and like the vanilla and Cappucino right now. The guys at work swear by Protein smoothies, so I will try those next.

Mejr62

Yes i told a few in my office and then the word spread like wildfire

Yes most of us had the last meal mentality - I gained 5 lbs between my consult 5/31 and 7/6 my pre op visit...

I joined the gym that just opened up across the street from my development about a week before surgery and started walking on the treadmill.

My doc sells my fav clear liquid Protein drinks - but i can't find them on the web - here is where I found a real close 2nds.

WonderSlim Fruit Drinks (7 Servings/Box)

Love the grape & peach mango...

My family was in on the decision the whole step of the way. My coworkers were told once the surgery date was set.

I am eating regularly, but weaning off my trigger foods. I figure by the time I am banded, which is just 3 months away, I won't crave these items.

I am going to enjoy the steak, shrimp and lobster over the next few months since it seems that it will be close to a year after the banding before I can eat those again.

I started on Slim Fast, 3 mornings a week, and like the vanilla and Cappucino right now. The guys at work swear by Protein smoothies, so I will try those next.

I am 3 months out from surgery - I ate prime rib last nite (1/4 of 8 oz)

I have had shrimp - haven't been anywhere to eat lobster (my fav)

Hi!!! Welcome to the site. I told everyone i knew i was getting the band. I did not eat a lot before the surgery, i wanted to get a head start and i had already been going to the gym so that was not new for me.I use a whey protien drink from GNC, choc flavor, i love it. Donna

Thats great to know. GNC has the 6 pound can on sale and I didn't want to buy that much and then throw it out if I didn't like it. But since you are the 4th or so person who said they liked it, I will get it. I am a wimp in this dept too, because I tried Nutrisystem and hated the food, same for Jenny Craig.

Did you tell people you were having it done? Yes, I told the people that I was close to. My husband went with me. My friends and family were very supportive because they had seen me try other avenues and have continued yo yo results. The one thing I didn't like was that many of them asked me how my weight loss was coming along ALL THE TIME! I also am a horrible lier so decided that there was no point in trying. People are going to ask you questions all the time like...How are you losing so much weight, what are you doing? Why aren't you eating? How can you resist that? And if you run into a situation where you "get sick" or PB people will ask you whats wrong if you run out of the room. Plus you will eat slower then everyone else and that could draw out questions to you by people that know you. Being honest up front allows you to not have to try to make excuses or half ass explanations for things you don't want to talk about infront of a group of people if that makes sense. But it also leaves you open to getting their opinions all the time because "they care about you" If you have friends or family that are gonna give you a hard time or try to talk you out of it then don't tell them till it's over and done with because really I think you should tell your spouse if you have one but other then that it isn't anyones business if they are gonna cause you too much stress over it.

Did you eat like you were never going to eat again?????:hungry: Hee Hee, I did. I made myself sick one night about a 2 weeks before my surgery from eating too much sugar. I was required to do a Protein diet for 2 weeks prior to my surgery to shrink my liver. Many docs require this if you BMI is above a certain number. The day prior to my surgery I had a cheeseburger and fries since I knew that wasn't going to be on my menu in the near future. Many docs require you to lose a certain percentage of weight prior to your surgery so that might not be a good idea if you can avoid it. Might make it harder to get your surgery scheduled.

Did you establish an exercise program? Was I supposed to yes, but did I no. I figured I wasn't gonna be able to exercise right after surgery for a while so why bother because I would just lose momentum when I had to quit for the recovery period....not the best attitude but oh well to late now.

What was your favorite Protein Drink and where did you purchase. The Protein drinks that I think taste the best are the ones that Curves sells. There are so many out there that are probably better for you but I have a seriously hard time drinking them for any period of time because I don't really like them. But we do what we have to do...don't we!

Sorry didn't mean to write a small book

I use a whey protien drink from GNC, choc flavor, i love it. Donna

We don't have a GNC and I have found I don't like most Protein drinks like I stated in my post above. I think I will try to hunt this one down and try it. Is it a "GNC" brand or a special brand that only GNC carries or is it carried at a different store does anyone know. In my area we have Safeway, Albertsons, Walmart, Rite Aide and we are getting a Walgreens in about a month....any thoughts?

Did you tell people you were having it done? Yes- it is hard for me to keep a secret- everyone knew I was trying to lose weight-once I decided to do this many of my co-workers became very interested in the whole process-it is nice having their support-they constantly ask me how much I have lost.. its fun now-I am sure I will get annoyed at some point- I figure it keeps me motivated to continue to do this-having people who are around me know about it helps me stay honest and on track..

Did you eat like you were never going to eat again????hungry.gif surprisingly no, before I went on my pre-op diet- I had steak and a baked potato- it really wasn't that great..

Did you establish an exercise program? I joined the gym right before my surgery-worked out a couple of times a week before and did some light walking.

What was your favorite Protein drink and where did you purchase. my favorite is EAS Chocolate-I buy it at Sam's club-my first bag I bought 4 months ago and I just ran out- it is $29-not bad for 4 mo supply- I also did vanilla preop but I find when I blend it with fruit now-I do not like it as much anymore. I have also tried the Champion whey stack chocolate- it is good as well but more expensive-you can buy it online or at any GNC or super supplement store.