Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crushing meds/A bitter pill to swallow

Well I’m 3 almost 4 days post op and we are instructed to crush all our medicines and mix with liquids before taking. One of my medicines appears to be extra super bitter and disgusting when crushed, almost making me vomit when I try to take it. So my question is this....What are your tips and tricks for getting through this crushing medicine phase?

Ive been really nauseated today to so it’s been tough to drink my Water and such let alone swallow that stuff with bitter pill powder mixed in.

After my surgery, I lost my ability to swallow medium to large pills. But this condition is not permanent. About 2 months post-op, this problem dissolved away. During the two months, I had to either split or crush my Vitamins. The worse was Calcium. They were large horse pills and when crushed they tasted like chalk. The way I was able to get these down was to mix the powder in with a glass of crystal light. I would mix it and chug it down. There was always paste left over at the bottom of the glass, so I added some more Crystal Light and chug it down again and again. After about 4 or 5 times, I had consumed the calcium paste.

I drink mine with Snapple juice .. crushes mixed with a lil Snapple ( diet) juice and shot it down.. I soon as i do take anew shot of Snapple .. and I’m good .. you will still taste the yuckyness but not as bad with Water or for a long time

Man, I had forgot about the crushed pills. One important note for anyone reading this thread that may not be aware - not all pills can be crushed. Some medications are coated to pass through the stomach and break down in the intestine. Do not blindly crush all pills! This is one of the reasons that you need to go over your medication list with your surgeon, to determine which pills you may crush.

To the OP, I mixed mine with yogurt. Back then I ate the strong fruity flavored ones because they were the texture I was used to. (I only eat plain greek Fage now) Strong flavors allowed me to mask the bitterness of the meds. I am now back to normal with taking pills. I take 6 pills with a sip of anything. And 4 of those are rather large Vitamins.

Thanks for the tips. Once I’m off of Clear Liquids I will definitely be mixing with yogurt or SF pudding.

Its so difficult right now as I can’t really drink a lot at one time. Can’t wait for this part to be over!