Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!!!! I'm gaining!

:help:

So, had my lapband surgery on November 1, 2006 and all was going okay. Lost 40 lbs up to about 2 months ago and then everything went downhill. Have had a few issues - surgery, death in family, illness in family....so stress level is really high! But I just can't seem to get on track. Even with good restriction, I seem to be making bad choices, chips cause they go down easier, etc.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get back on track? Just seem to be letting the stress get me eating all the wrong foods and it's as bad as if I didn't have surgery.... Have gained 8 pounds in the last 2 months.... HELP!!!:)

So, had my lapband surgery on November 1, 2006 and all was going okay. Lost 40 lbs up to about 2 months ago and then everything went downhill. Have had a few issues - surgery, death in family, illness in family....so stress level is really high! But I just can't seem to get on track. Even with good restriction, I seem to be making bad choices, chips cause they go down easier, etc.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get back on track? Just seem to be letting the stress get me eating all the wrong foods and it's as bad as if I didn't have surgery.... Have gained 8 pounds in the last 2 months.... HELP!!!:)

sanadramae - I am sorry for your loss and other issues, I know how hard these things can be..

But I am going to tell you right now STOP STOP EATING THAT CRAP.... It really doesn't make you feel any better - no it makes you feel guility... Quit eating right this very second.....

Go back to eating healthy you can do it - you did it before

In our lives we allow for a margin of error – which we should also do when trying to eat healthy – if you are eating 1000-1200 calories a day – allow for some of those calories to be used for a little bit of something you really want (chocolate - have a healthy choice fudgecicle - it's s/f & 80 calories)- you need wiggle room in your diet to make it work (I save my morning and afternoon Snacks for night time which is my worst time) – the all or nothing practices has to be thrown our of your mind.

You can learn to reprogram your mind to strip away the guilt that comes with dieting. You have to realize that it’s not that the first slice of cake that will doom your diet – it’s the second or third or whole thing that leads to weight gain.

You have to listen to your body & respond smartly to your cravings and emotions but over time you will learn how to eat right and mange your craving and that’s when you’ll train your brain to stop obsessing about eating right and punishing yourself – If you stop over thinking you’ll stop over eating..

Good Luck to you...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks much for the response. I know everything you mentioned, but it sure does help to hear it again and be reminded. I start each week with a great plan and just start sliding - so far I'm on track for this week, so hopefully I can hold on and keep on track. Trying for 1 day at a time....

Thanks much for the response. I know everything you mentioned, but it sure does help to hear it again and be reminded. I start each week with a great plan and just start sliding - so far I'm on track for this week, so hopefully I can hold on and keep on track. Trying for 1 day at a time....

Take 1 hour at a time - if you want to eat something you know you shouldn't be eating get up clean out a drawer - get on the computer come here - clean out your linen closet - clean the bath room do something to distract yourself from the food and I bet when that hour is up you will have forgotten about that bag of chips you wanted to eat...

Challendge yourself - say " I bet I can go all day with a single chip - i am stronger than those stupid chips" I can do it...

Sandra you can do this - I know that after my parent's passed and dealing with my brothers - i locked my self in the room and watched t.v. and ate and ate. This was 15 yrs ago - i gained about 22lbs during that time.. So I understand how much we "THINK" that food is comforting up - but it really isn't - it's really hurting you ...

Good Luck and will keep you in my prayers

Lately, I've been terrible.

I gave some great advice the other day about committing to just ONE week of perfect eating. Something about how it would carry on from there.

OK, I'll commit to that. After I finish this yummy white chocolate.< /p>

At the moment, I'm finding I have to keep away from the darn computer, its an eating trigger for me. Sit down, coffee, something to eat, aaaah. I"m going to clean something now!

There's no easy answer to this, you just have to really SCREAM at yourself to stop sometimes.

Screaming doesn't help me!

Sometimes I just fail. But the next day I renew the commitment. Day by day!

Anyone have any ideas on how to get back on track? Just seem to be letting the stress get me eating all the wrong foods and it's as bad as if I didn't have surgery.... Have gained 8 pounds in the last 2 months.... HELP!!!:mad:

Wow- you've had a lot to deal with. I hope it's calming down.

I've been struggling too, and have started seeing the pych in my clinic. She suggests approaching this like a project at work. Figure out what the specific tasks are and start doing them. Breaking down "Getting on track" to acutal steps so it is doable.

For example, I had started having a glass of wine a few nights a week, and worse eating M&Ms all day at work. Among other things, but I decided to focus on that. My plan was no candy, and no alcohol unless I can truely say it's a special occasion. One week later, I've had neither and am down about 5 pounds.

So, pick one or two things to start with, and focus on them maybe?

I agree with Lisah25. I think I do better when I focus on what I am doing bad. A lot of times getting that one thing in check gets everything else back in balance. For example I love chocolate. Well, if I get to where I am eating a lot of chocolate I tend to feel like I failed and I "medicate" my failure with chips and cheetos and snack cakes. So if I don't eat the chocolate then I don't end up eating the other stuff either.