Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can I have alternative flours ie almond coconut etc

I'm beginning to research and plan my transition to (somewhat) regular foods in the upcoming weeks.

Where would you categorize stuff like almond and coconut flour? I mean they're literally ground almond/coconut respectively. Do I treat coconut as a fruit and almond meal as a nut? I know you're allowed stuff like PB2 way before real Peanut Butter so it's confusing.

I would love to use this stuff in simple recipes especially with chicken and fish, but I'm not sure how long to wait (I'm almost 4 weeks postoperative).

Coconut flour I'm very weary of because it's extremely high in Fiber so that could be a problem for gas and bloating among other things. But what about almond flour? I know you're supposed to wait several weeks before introducing nuts, but if it's ground to a flour and combined with chicken I don't know if that's the same thing.

Is there anything anybody could recommend more bariatric friendly than these two that would suit the same purpose ? (no parmesian, as I can't do dairy)

Obviously I'm going to ask my nutritionist at my next appointment in a few weeks, but considering I'm bored out of my mind still home from work figuring out what the hell I'm going to eat soon is the most productive use of my time.

Oh and I should add that I am NOT talking about for baking as I have absolutely zero interest in that anytime in the near future.

Mostly to go with meats sauces air fryer recipes etc

I categorize them as things I don't keep around and have never used as they are unnecessary. If one has Celiac or other gluten intolerance, then they may have a role, otherwise I normally use basic whole wheat flour when it's needed. It's good that you mention baking, as that's probably good to stay away from for a while as most baked products, irrespective what flour is used, are pretty low in nutritional density (low nutrition, high calories). For incidental use as in thickening sauces, etc., it wouldn't make any significant difference what flour is used, even if one is into counting carbs and the like.

3 minutes ago, RickM said:

I categorize them as things I don't keep around and have never used as they are unnecessary. If one has Celiac or other gluten intolerance, then they may have a role, otherwise I normally use basic whole wheat flour when it's needed. It's good that you mention baking, as that's probably good to stay away from for a while as most baked products, irrespective what flour is used, are pretty low in nutritional density (low nutrition, high calories). For incidental use as in thickening sauces, etc., it wouldn't make any significant difference what flour is used, even if one is into counting carbs and the like.

I mean almond flour is literally ground almonds, and nothing else. By all measures almonds are relatively nutritious no?

I would ask you dietician if this is on your plan.

Nuts are high in calories, My dietician allows 7 almonds as a snack in weight loss phase. I have to laugh, That's a pretty specific number counting out 7 almonds.

1oz (23 almonds) = 163 calories

1 oz jiffy Peanut Butter =167 calories (it's why i use PB2 lower calories)

3 hours ago, Mhy12784 said:

I mean almond flour is literally ground almonds, and nothing else. By all measures almonds are relatively nutritious no?

Yes, they are nutritious, as is wheat - they just have a different nutritional profile. As a flour for baking, the nut flours tend to be more caloric than the grain flours, so usually aren't a big help in weight loss efforts; however, if one has a specific sensitivity toward the grains and/or have to go the gluten free route, or if one is diabetic and has to stay very low carb, then the nut flours are a good alternative, assuming that one accepts the trade offs inherent in them. IDK if the nut flours thicken sauces as well as the grain flours do, but for such incidental use, it shouldn't be a big deal one way or the other unless one has a serious allergy or sensitivity issue.