Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice from SomeOne New from New Jersey

I'm due to be banded on Nov. 27... My Lap-band doctor is Dr. Abkin out of Morristown.... I'd like to lose about 100 lbs..... and I'm really excited at the notion that this could actually be possible for me. I like reading all the other postings of those who've done and those continuing in the struggle to maintain the weightloss, It let's me know there are others like me..... Does anyone have any good advice for someone just starting out?

I'm due to be banded on Nov. 27... My Lap-band doctor is Dr. Abkin out of Morristown.... I'd like to lose about 100 lbs..... and I'm really excited at the notion that this could actually be possible for me. I like reading all the other postings of those who've done and those continuing in the struggle to maintain the weightloss, It let's me know there are others like me..... Does anyone have any good advice for someone just starting out?

Taybarrera

#1 The band is NOT the magic cure to your weight issues.

I can't stress that enought - people think they can get banded and it does all the work - it doesn't - it only bands your tummy not your head and the majority of our problems are truely head issues. The band does 25% of the work and you will have to do the other 75% by making a LIFE STYLE change - eating healthy - low fat foods - sugar free foods - no more junk every day all day... Also another must Exercise... I can eat and be full but still wnat to continue to eat - this is head hunger .

Most of us all have lost weight at one time or another - but evenually gain it all back and then some - this is possible with the band & or bypass - but this is because we do not continue to eat healthy, we go back to eating junk - fast food - pizza - candy - cake - Cookies etc...

If you are willing to do the work (and let me tell you that until you find your sweet spot it is work - right now i just ate a small can of tuna and a cup of brussel sprouts for lunch - there is apple pie & cupcakes in the lunch room - I had to leave as I am still hungry and i wanted that pie - so i ate my lunch got up and left - now waiting my 30 minutes until i can drink my water)

I love my band - I am happy i got banded - I did my research and knew that i was going to have to work too. Even though I haven't reached my sweet spot yet - I can not eat as much as i use to. But could have eaten a slice of pie today.. :)

But I don't need it - I feel so much better with 40 lbs gone - I have so much more energy - I too can stand to loose 100 lbs - but at my age i am going for 80 lbs and we will see after that.

I'm not telling you that you never can eat junk again - just every once in a while (like once a month a small bit of something you love) .

When you are at your sweet spot - they say you aren't as hungry - I can't wait to get there - I go Wed for my 2nds fill..

Good luck on your journey - read read read

taybarrera,

I am also being banded on November 27, 2007 by Dr. Abkin at St. Peter's Hospital. I am 37 years old and I need to lose 150 lbs. Maybe we can support one another. If you are interested in chatting, please email me at TreTre310@aol.com. I would appreciate any help.

TreTre