Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had sleeve surgery yesterday, 11-28. What can I expect the first few day??

Hi. I Had sleeve surgery yesterday, 11-28. What can I expect the first few days?? I was in a lot of pain yesterday taking pain meds every 4 hours. A lot of gas pain and bloating. I also have a lot of pain and muscle spasms when I try and drink. Concerned because I can not drink a lot at all as it hurts too much... Comcerned, when does the pain go away, when is it easier to swallow with no pain. What else can I expect? Also, any tips?

Today is 1 week since my surgery. The first day you will not be allowed anything, not even Water. Day 2, you will feel tenderness at your incision sites. They will make you take small sips of water, this will be painful, it will feel like your swallowing huge gulps of water and when it hits your stomach opening it hurts really bad! Take tiny sips in the beginning and let it trickle down your throat. Oh, and on the first day of surgery I was up walking and going to the bathroom within the first couple of hours. Do not baby yourself! As each day passes you will notice that drinking will still be a chore, you will not want it but it will be forced on you. I Don't know about anyone else but I also have to give myself a shot in the tummy for two weeks of medicine to prevent blood clots. I am 47 so it could be due to my age. So I send my best to you, just drink, drink, drink and be smart about it...no lifting! You don't want to get a hernia.

It's bizarre to me that @ddhudak wasn't allowed Water the first day. I definitely was allowed that. Just goes to show no two experiences are exactly the same.

@TrishL congratulations on your surgery. Take it easy these first few days. Let yourself heal. Now that you've had surgery, you'll probably find more answers on the post-surgical forum. Good luck!

I know!!!! Dale Cruz, I had to have an upper GI to see if there were any leaks before I was allowed liquids. My Dr. Is very strict and rather be safe than sorry.

59 minutes ago, ddhudak said:

Today is 1 week since my surgery. The first day you will not be allowed anything, not even Water. Day 2, you will feel tenderness at your incision sites. They will make you take small sips of Water, this will be painful, it will feel like your swallowing huge gulps of water and when it hits your stomach opening it hurts really bad! Take tiny sips in the beginning and let it trickle down your throat. Oh, and on the first day of surgery I was up walking and going to the bathroom within the first couple of hours. Do not baby yourself! As each day passes you will notice that drinking will still be a chore, you will not want it but it will be forced on you. I Don't know about anyone else but I also have to give myself a shot in the tummy for two weeks of medicine to prevent blood clots. I am 47 so it could be due to my age. So I send my best to you, just drink, drink, drink and be smart about it...no lifting! You don't want to get a hernia.

Thanks so much. I was asked to drink water day 1, yesterday. It was almost impossible as so painful. I am still in the hospital and just saw the doctor this am. They may keep me 1 more day as I can not tolerate liquids.

1 hour ago, ddhudak said:

Today is 1 week since my surgery. The first day you will not be allowed anything, not even Water. Day 2, you will feel tenderness at your incision sites. They will make you take small sips of water, this will be painful, it will feel like your swallowing huge gulps of water and when it hits your stomach opening it hurts really bad! Take tiny sips in the beginning and let it trickle down your throat. Oh, and on the first day of surgery I was up walking and going to the bathroom within the first couple of hours. Do not baby yourself! As each day passes you will notice that drinking will still be a chore, you will not want it but it will be forced on you. I Don't know about anyone else but I also have to give myself a shot in the tummy for two weeks of medicine to prevent blood clots. I am 47 so it could be due to my age. So I send my best to you, just drink, drink, drink and be smart about it...no lifting! You don't want to get a hernia.

42 minutes ago, DaleCruse said:

It's bizarre to me that @ddhudak wasn't allowed Water the first day. I definitely was allowed that. Just goes to show no two experiences are exactly the same.

@TrishL congratulations on your surgery. Take it easy these first few days. Let yourself heal. Now that you've had surgery, you'll probably find more answers on the post-surgical forum. Good luck!

Thanks so much Dale. I am so happy that the surgery is over and looking forward to the road ahead of me. Hopefully drinking will be more tolerable in the near future :)

@TrishL I feel your pain. After one week I am still taking small sips, it really is uncomfortable. I will be on liquids for at least 2 months then it should be mushy foods 1/4 cup per meal. I will say I have no appetite so that is a plus. Hang in there Sweety, you got this!

8 hours ago, ddhudak said:

@TrishL I feel your pain. After one week I am still taking small sips, it really is uncomfortable. I will be on liquids for at least 2 months then it should be mushy foods 1/4 cup per meal. I will say I have no appetite so that is a plus. Hang in there Sweety, you got this!

Wow. I can’t imagine this feeling going on. I can barely drink without pain. So uncomfortable. Why do you have to be on liquids for 2 whole months?

This is how my Dr. Does it with her patients. From what I understand once I hit the 1/4 cup of mushy foods that will go on for at least 2-4 months then switch to solids. By the time it is one year out I could be up to 1 cup of regular food per meal but never more than that. I know it sounds hard but the way I look at it I should be successful getting this weight off and maintaining it.

I put myself back on full liquids for well over 3 months aside from the occasional smoothie, due to just not being able to handle anything more. My stomach changed, I needed to accommodate for that. I couldn't hold down a salad eaten whole, but I could down a smoothie with salad (kale, romaine, sprouts) of choice and flax seeds and other types of low sugar fruits. I wasn't about to starve myself...again. :)

sw: 334
pre-op: 314
cw: 213

YOU are doing fantastic! I know it has only been one week since my surgery but I am lactose intolerant so finding a Protein Shake that doesn't reek havoc on my insides is next to impossible. I am only on clear liquds anyways which consist of Water, Crystal light and broth. I am constantly sick to my stomach so I barely get 16 oz of liquid in me a day, which I know is not good. I'm concerned but will just tough it out until my two week check up on 8 Dec.

6 hours ago, dr3am3rstarz said:

I put myself back on full liquids for well over 3 months aside from the occasional smoothie, due to just not being able to handle anything more. My stomach changed, I needed to accommodate for that. I couldn't hold down a salad eaten whole, but I could down a smoothie with salad (kale, romaine, sprouts) of choice and flax seeds and other types of low sugar fruits. I wasn't about to starve myself...again. :)

sw: 334
pre-op: 314
cw: 213

Wow. Congrats on your achievement thus far and thanks for the insight.