Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me make up my mind. I'm torn.

you are just as hungry as you were before.

Leigh, first I want to say that Leatha wrote what I would have said, word for word, before I had a chance to. So for my response just go back and read hers again.

But I will add this: it is categorically UNTRUE that with proper restriction we are just as hungry as we were before. Sure, there are periods where hunger sets in with a vengeance, most commonly right after surgery and before the first fill when we're still healing and still on liquids. But that is temporary.

With proper restriction, and given time to learn how our bodies talk to us, we learn that the feeling we get after a small amount of food is, in fact, the feeling of being full and satisfied. And that feeling lasts for a long time, thanks to our little band of silicone.

Getting to that point can be frustrating and slow, and not always easy. For some they have good restriction right out of surgery and lose weight from the start, while for others it can take three or more fills before the sweet spot is found. But that's the beauty of the band--if it's not right, it can be adjusted! You certainly can't say that about an RNY.

Probably one of the biggest challenges for bandsters is accepting the new "enough" both physically and mentally. I remember many dinners where two chicken wings were all I could eat and I just couldn't believe I was done. The first few times, "done" feels a little like being cheated out of the meal you want to have so badly, but then the weight starts to come off and you realize, hey, I am eating LESS and that's why I'm losing weight! Take another look at those chicken wings. Hmmm, too much crap and not enough good meat. Try instead some braised chicken with vegetables. How much will fill me up? Three or four heaping tablespoons. Really! And no, I'm not hungry, not for hours.

Getting over the need to have salad, bread, and fries in mass quantity will be a huge challenge for you either way. But I have seen nothing anywhere that indicates that RNY people are able to eat any substantially larger amount than are bandsters. There's no reason you won't be able to have salad, bread, and fries in time. You will probably have discovered a whole new way of life by then.

And to answer your last question, the only thing I have had trouble with consistently is scrambled eggs. I can eat bread, but it takes up so much room I can't eat anything else. Just about anything goes as long as it's eaten with enough caution.

It sounds like you definitely have a handle on the pro's and con's of both surgeries and to me it sounds as though you're leaning towards bypass.

I agree that I do feel like I'm dieting most of the time BUT I have help. I can't overeat and that's a great tool. Also, I certainly never felt like I was dieting the first six months or so. I ate whatever I wanted to eat. And that's when I lost the most weight: 50 out of the 70 I've lost so far. But eventually I had to realize that if I wanted to lose the rest, I was going to have to participate.

bread was always my favorite thing, too. Bread, Pasta, tortillas, you name it. But I only rarely miss them.

Anyway, I like Lisa's idea of how to help make up your mind. And here's one I use: I flip a coin. Head bypass, tails band. Then as soon as I see which it is, I see how I feel. Am I glad? Or disappointed? Sometimes this little exercise lets me realize how I really feel.

Nancy

Leigh,

It's a tough decision to make. I initally was leaning toward the bypass and it wasn't until months into the program I was in that I switched to the band. I wanted to heal quicker, be back to normal sooner and decided that if after 18 months, bands and bypass loss about the same that they should, that I would rather have the weight come out at a more healthy rate. I've only had this for two weeks, but so far I don't have complaints. I can't say the same for the people I know that have had bypass, they're still have complications from their surgeries from months ago.

Good luck to you.

Rainsunbow,

I am being band on Friday. I too was on the fence with the bypass and the band. I personally have met 8 people with bypass. All have done really well and no major complications. They do however suffer from diareah, gas, some their bodies don't absorb enough Protein and feel crappy 1/2 the time. This is a very personal choice. I chose the lap band because I didn't not want to be thin at the cost of quality of life. I've already done that most of my life by being over weight and unable to enjoy living. The risks in my opinion are too high. Our digestive system was design to work a certain way. That is why there are so many problems with the bypass. The lap band though slower in results, doesn't change our anatomy. Yet it allows us to work with our anatomy. I wish you well.

I agree that I do feel like I'm dieting most of the time

Nancy

Nancy,

I felt like this at first too until I realized that before banding when I limited my food intake I called it dieting. Now I realize that the limited amount of food is actually the proper amount so I can't say I'm dieting anymore but that I am eating proper.

So My feelings are that when people are eating proper it should not be called dieting. But when people eat like we used to it should be called "STUFFING"

The word Diet should be one of those words that every year get dropped from our language.

My sister had the RNY... I watched veeeeerrrryyyy carefully as she went through the process and decided I was not up for the recovery that she had to go through. Also... she is 2 years out and joining weight watchers this week due to regain. She still looks terrific and still feels she made the right decision for herself. I just wasn't willing to take the extra risk... I like that my GI tract is functioning just as God intended.

I am so happy with my choice and my sister's husband is now in the process for approval for the Lapband. :)

Wishing you the best as you make your decision... I think the pro's and con's list is a great idea!

Darcy

Greg, when I said I still feel like I'm dieting most of the time, I wasn't referring to the amount of food. The band does that automatically for me and I'm fine with that. I don't have to think about it. I was referring to food choices. In the beginning I ate nachos, chocolate, whatever and it didn't seem to matter as far as weight loss was concerned. Now I have to choose more wisely and focus more on good nutrition. It's not the end of the world or anything. It's what everyone should be doing, fat or thin. But it does take more effort.

The upside is that at least I can achieve good nutrition, which would not be a possiblity with the bypass.

Nancy

Let me tell you what changed my mind.

I pondering what to do and a met a friend of a friend and we got on the subject of wls. Well at the end of our discussion she let me in on a secret. She had the gastric bypass 3 years ago! She was at least a size 22 sitting in front of me. She told me I know what you're thinking! SHe said she lost all of the weight down to her goal size in 18 months and then after that she just started gaining again, stretched her pouch and now was thinking of doing the gastric again to lose weight again! I just can't imagine having to go through that twice. I had no idea you could gain hat much weight back after the bypass. Just some food for though. With the lap band you just have to tighten up if you are gaining weight back!

Kim

Guest Gayle

Just to give you a different perspective! I had lap RNY 2-1/2 years ago. I have recently gotten banded on top of it because I began to gain with the RNY. My stomach grew and my system got used to whatever they did. I find the weight gain and diets a common theme after 2 years post op!! With the band, you just get a fill.

"Our digestive system was design to work a certain way. That is why there are so many problems with the bypass."

This is exactly what my doctor explained when I asked her for a gastric bypass. She said the bottom portion of your stomach has integral disgestive properties that are eliminated with the bypass, leaving you with a lifetime of digestive problems.

I never feel "crappy" with my band (other than all the troubles with my port) but I do have an enormous amount of gas and discomFART. Other than that, I have a little pressure inbetween my rib cage.

For those of you who know about all my complications, all I can say is THANK GOD I chose the Band. At least when things go completely wrong I can have it removed. I can't imagine all the complications I would have had with the bypass. I'd be the one that ended up on the fatality list.

Thank you for your help. I agree with some of the stuff you guys said, and I disagree with stuff you said, and all of it has helped me a great deal. Peace and Love to all of you.

Leigh