Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over 300 pounds

I was banded at 374 pounds on September 26 2007, and now i am at 342.Along way to go but i am confident i will make it

I knew that the 'window of opportunity' with the RNY is for most people (I realize not all, but most) is about 24 months. After that you need to have changed your lifestyle and eating habits to lose the rest of your weight or to keep off what you've lost already.

Excellent point.

There's a woman in our group who had RNY 4 years ago and had regained 55 pounds. She came to group so she could try to lose again.

So you've heard that long-term success is stronger for Banders than for RNY'ers? I didn't know that. Sometimes I flip-flop on whether or not I made the right choice. RNY'ers lose weight more rapidly and part of me would love that -- you know, get it over with.

But I'm too squeamish about the plastic surgery that will be required later, and heard that losing slower was better for the skin (exercise required) and that the latter surgery required may not become as radical. I heard that recovery from this can be quite painful.

I know I'll have to have some kind of lift here and there. I've got a personal fund going to save $$$ over the next 3 years so I'm ready for that phase.

I was banded at 374 on September 26 2007, and now i am at 342.Along way to go but i am confident i will make it

Way to go... you're doing terrific! ! !

Since you're just about a month in, how's your pain? gas? mobility?

My physician wanted (and tried to talk me into) a bypass, he said because I was diabetic it was a better option. I just couldn't get myself to consider the bypass. So he relented and agreed on the lap-band. I was banded on 10-5-07. I started out @ 347 and after the 2 week low calorie diet and the 2 week pre-op liquid only diet I was @ 324. I am inspired looking @ the pictures of Brandy, I want to look like her. ha ha. I am a little discouraged that I havn't broke 300 yet, but I going to hang in there. Just looking and reading the posts give me hope.

Brenda you can do it! I am NOT special by any means! If I can do it, anyone can do it! Thanks though!

:)

Brenda you can do it! I am NOT special by any means! If I can do it, anyone can do it! Thanks though!

:)

I disagree...Brandi is very special! :eek: love ya girl!

But I know what she is saying, we can all do this. The success with this band is not a small percentage of us. You just have to commit to it. Look at the before and after thread of pictures. There are a lot of bandsters over 300 pounds showing their pictures and looking fantastic.

I think the great thing is that we all have a choice. I am pretty confident that the band was the right choice for me. Sometimes I wish I could lose all of my weight as fast as an RNY patient, but I am not sure that if I didn't have to work hard at the weight loss, that I would change any of the habits that I need to maintain long term loss. With the band I have already learned that when I slack, my loss stagnates.

Best wishes on your journey and continued success.

Hi,

I was banded in March. My weight January 1st 2007 was 313. I am now at 220. In less than a year I'll have lost over 100 pounds, I'm sure. Oh, I'm 5'2'', so a shorty as well.

I went to my surgeon's support group recently and was the only lapbanded person out of 20. I called the practice the next day and asked if that's his ratio of surgeries. "No, he does many lapbands," was the answer and also, lapbanded people just don't go to the support groups because the nurse said, "You are more independant, have less complications and don't seem to need as much aftercare support." Which I want to beleive is true...however I said, the presentation was so biased and not meaningful to me that I'm not going back. Perhaps they need to seperate us out.

My point is that the only thing I feel that binds these two surgeries together are that they are for weight loss. Otherwise they are vastly different. How we eat, how we poo, how we think, our expectations....everything.

So now that you have decided to go lapband put that bypass thinking away and study up on what will make you super successful!

Julie,

We are very similar in starting and surgery weights. I am 5'4" though. Anyway, I am 6 days out and was supposed to return to work today, but I have had a terrible stomach ache since yesterday. My doc's office opens at nine and I will call bc I didnt go to work today. I guess that is not the point either...LOL I wanted to congratulate you on your success, I would be very happy if I am where you are in your timeframe. It is great that people who are successful post, because when we are feeling ill after surgery, we need some kind of inspiration that what we are going through will pass and we will be happy soon with some weight loss!

Hi,

I was banded in March. My weight January 1st 2007 was 313. I am now at 220. In less than a year I'll have lost over 100 pounds, I'm sure. Oh, I'm 5'2'', so a shorty as well.

I went to my surgeon's support group recently and was the only lapbanded person out of 20. I called the practice the next day and asked if that's his ratio of surgeries. "No, he does many lapbands," was the answer and also, lapbanded people just don't go to the support groups because the nurse said, "You are more independant, have less complications and don't seem to need as much aftercare support." Which I want to beleive is true...however I said, the presentation was so biased and not meaningful to me that I'm not going back. Perhaps they need to seperate us out.

My point is that the only thing I feel that binds these two surgeries together are that they are for weight loss. Otherwise they are vastly different. How we eat, how we poo, how we think, our expectations....everything.

So now that you have decided to go lapband put that bypass thinking away and study up on what will make you super successful!

Like the others, even though I was a high BMI patient, I wanted a tool that would be adjustable FOREVER, not just another method for quick weight loss (I'd had successes losing before through Nutrisystem and Optifast and I was looking to head off the regain).

I also wanted to let my body absorb foods naturally unless I couldn't be successful, in which case I'd still consider bypass if that ever proves to be the case. Hopefully I'll never know.

As for PS, PS's will tell you that losing slow or fast won't affect your skin issues in the long run. If you lose slowly, your skin has time to shrink WHILE you're shrinking, so you may look a little better during the process. But if you lose quickly, your skin will still contract just as much, it's just that it might be a little saggier during the loss phase. In other words, 2 years out, both the ones who lost quickly and the ones who lost slowly will come out the same (assuming a healthy loss in both instances).

Don't worry about PS at this stage. I need a lot of it, have had some of it, and loose skin at its worse is still better than carrying 200+ extra lbs, as I was.

Thigh lift on Nov. 8 -- can't wait!

Dozy:

I started at 324. I was at 249 this morning though I haven't changed my ticket yet. I think one of the biggest challenges was to kick the exercise up a notch. I have managed to do this though through the hot summer months it was very difficult.

I am walking between 4 to 5 miles per day and have recently started using an eliptical too. It really killed at first because my feet hurt from being so heavy, but it's getting easier as the pounds come off.

Good luck.

Sue

but I am not sure that if I didn't have to work hard at the weight loss, that I would change any of the habits that I need to maintain long term loss. With the band I have already learned that when I slack, my loss stagnates

I really appreciate everyone chiming in. It really helps for us who are starting out so high and have had beginning and radical success. It really makes me feel not only that it's possible, but that I made the right decisions.

My point is that the only thing I feel that binds these two surgeries together are that they are for weight loss. Otherwise they are vastly different. How we eat, how we poo, how we think, our expectations....everything... / ...So now that you have decided to go lapband put that bypass thinking away and study up on what will make you super successful!

Especially when Juli puts it so perfectly. Lapband and bypass thinking have nothing in common. I too want a weapon to change my lifestyle, to re-learn new habits, and to keep it off.

I'm 48 (49 next month). I'm hoping that by 51 I'm on the table to have a couple of things lifted, and healthy enough for the surgery. I've spent enough of my life being large and not living. I want to live life again and I want a full senior life.

In my 50's I want to look like I'm in my late 30's... and In my 60's, I'll be trying for late 40's. I have a male friend who is 74. He's active, plays tennis, Water ski's, and still works as a post hole digger. I want to be like him when I grow up.

Like the others, even though I was a high BMI patient, I wanted a tool that would be adjustable FOREVER, not just another method for quick weight loss...

I knew that the band was removable, that's one thing that swayed me for banding because I knew it was 'reversable'. So when my doc told me that I don't ever have to have it removed, I was convinced. From all of your testimonials, I am now absolutely certain I made the right decision: Banders Unite! ! !

I think one of the biggest challenges was to kick the exercise up a notch.

That's the only place I haven't been. My current physical challenge prevents walking exercises. I sit in a chair and use weights to do arm and leg exercises, especially to make my legs stronger. My lower back and plantar faciatis on my left heal prevent me from doing anything else.

But I was told about a gym nearby that has people who are trained to help those using weight loss surgery as their loss tool - so I'm going to check that out and maybe I can step it up a notch there sooner. I need back strengthening exercises to start while my front reduces the back struggle.

----

When I first joined this support forum, I was surprised that there were so many people who were under 250 and getting banding, and I felt out of place. (I wished I had banding when I weight that weight but I was afraid of it. ) To me now, they needed to lose so little while I was going for a loss of two people weighing 116 pounds each.

Your success stories are an inspiration.... and I mostly thank the successes for sticking around to help others.

and,

Ok i got you all beat. I got banded at abotu 430 ish! ...Now im about 380 just 2.5 months out.

Out ! Out ! Out-Standing!

I was 307 when I was banded in March 07, I am now 250, I went from a size 28 to 18-20, feeling great. My goal is to lose 100 more, get rid of my cpap, and begin to look like the person God created me to be. My children have never seen me thin and that is one of my goals. I gave all my clothes away and today went shopping and even fit into a 14-16, it was a little snug around the hips but before I wouldn't even think of trying it on. If I can do it, you can do it too!!! Good Luck!!!!

I can't wait to be able to buy clothes at a regular store, Prior to surgery I was wearing a 34. I can wear a 30 now and it is confortable, but the 26/28 is still snug and bothers my scars. I also can't wait to get rid of my Bipap, I have been on either a cpap or bipap for 18 years and I am sick of it. I seem to be stuck and can't break 300, but I know I can do it, Congradulations to you, you are an inspiration, best wishes for your continued success. :whoo:

At my Consultation, I was at 325. BMI of 47. Started to eliminate the trigger foods, and dropped a few pounds. My doctor said the band is ideal for me. I didn't argue. The idea of the RNY makes me want to stay fat. I am 5'8" tall.

I have to go on a liquid diet 2 weeks before the surgery though.