Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port bulging from side

I was just banded a week ago and from day one the port is bulging from my side like a dome, and when I bend from the waist or roll over in bed I can feel my skin rolling over the port. It's a very heebie jeebie feeling. Is this normal? As the port incision heals, will it go away. It is always on my mind because I can feel it all the time. It feels like I have an alien in me. HELP.

Sounds more like scar tissue. After surgery your port reacts to fat tissue and sometimes it melts and causes a lump. That or scarring. Usually people swear up and down that IS their port and 99% of the time it isn't the port at all. Usually it goes away in a few/several weeks.

The port is sewn into the fascia, connective tissue above a muscle and below a fat pad. If you happen to carry a lot of weight in your belly you may not even be able to feel your port just yet.

Call your doc, see what s/he says.

I have a bulge on my side also, but I had a hematoma near the port site that has apparently caused the bulge. About 1 1/2 weeks after surgery the blood started oozing out of two of my incisions. The doctor tried twice to aspirate it, but the blood was still too thick and clot like. I oozed for another 1 1/2 weeks and just stopped on Saturday. The doctor told me the hematoma would eventually be absorbed by my body. The bulge is still there, but seems to slowly be getting smaller. He said it may take a few weeks. Don't know if this is anything like what you are experiencing. I haven't found anyone yet who has had the same experience. It is just a thought.

Me too!! My port is under my ribs middle left and if I wear underwired bras the bulge gets bigger and bigger!! You can easily feel it under the sking and it is all swollen around it and where the tubing is. Does this stop as it heals? Maybe we should post this on the main board???

Nina xx

ME TOOOOOOOO!!!!!

My port incision is belly button height and was dome-like but it has gone down to a mere bump. But the icky part is that it oozes all the time (minor clear ooze - okay sometimes bloody ooze) nothing Steven King would write about. I'm on antibiotics now and had it slightly relocated because the port was protruding enough that it wouldn't allow the incision to heal (HOW RUDE!).

I'm on the road to getting better (banded 10/1) I'm sure yours will go down and if it doesn't apparently relocating it is common as you lose weightm and may have to be done. My doc said that most docs now are trying to put the ports closer to the skin because its better for the patient when getting fills and easier to find. The down side is the lump. But frankly at this size, NO ONE is going to see my belly button, so I'm not worried. If (and when) I get close to goal I'll stress about it...until then just make sure you have a healthy dome...the rest will take care of itself in time!

Hey Cousin......

How are you feeling... I don't like to call and wake you up. Thinking about you

Aren't you glad you found LBT?

I am sure you are going to be much better, that was a crazy place for a port!

Love your pics. you always take such good ones... I guess when i got genes they skipped me.

love you!!!

Okay--- first time I have seen you on here... GEEEEESSSSS

No the genes didn't skip you silly girl! I have some other funny pics from Halloween that I couldn't post.

I don't know how you work around pizza all day long!

I am sure you do... Remember our party a few years back...

I choke on crust and most toppings... (i've tried) so I just eat the cheese and sauce when i want some.

I'm around but major pms so I've been anti social

here is dylan on Halloween, yelling at me to hurry up. that was at 10am!

post-215289-1381313577777_thumb.jpg

You can see my port on my side since I had my hernia repaired. I asked my PA about this at my last fill and she said they placed it closer to the skin because of the repair and if when I reach goal and it bugs me I can have it relocated. For now, and I know this is gross, I love being able to put my hand on it and feel it move. It's my buddy.

I was banded on 10/1/07 and for about 2 weeks I could feel the port when I rolled over and bent down as well. Once the swelling went down everything was o.k..

Hello, this is my first time on here. I had my lapband on October 10th 2007. Everything has gone great. I have lost 40lbs total and I have not had any problems with anything. I could also feel the port right after and sometimes when I bent over but now I have to press down on my belly to feel it. I go in for my first fill in 2 more weeks. I wish everyone the best.

Yes, I have this too. I was told its scar tissue. If i wear an underwire bra and we big girls need one, it bulges out. Good thing i keep this stuff covered..

aloha