Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not working

Oops! Sorry I misread that about your doctor. :boink:

I know with all the success everyone else is having I must be doing something wrong, BUT WHAT? Also after a year and 1/2 of this #%$$^ I'm pretting sick of it all. But at least not throwing up sick.

I'm glad you're no longer throwing up. BUT, I will tell you, that the Band doesn't work for everybody. For people it works for, they can't imagine why it isn't working for others. It may just not be working for you. Ideally, if your Band is adjusted properly, you should be able to eat smaller portions of normal food... feel satisfied... minimal hunger... and lose weight. If not, then it's not working for you.

You mention being hungry an hour later. I know a lot of Bandsters find that eating six small meals per day works well for them. Have you tried that??

Carol, how much Water are you taking in a day. I have a hypothroid, take .275 of synthroid daily. I was getting hungry about 1 1/2 to 2 hours after eating, was doing what I was suppose to do. My dr. told me to up my water intake to 80 ozs a day and that fixed my issue. I was just needing water not food.< /p>

Carol

I am sorry that you are having trouble with the band, but I am going to ask you what you mean by gimicks or tricks? There aren't gimmicks or tricks to get the band to work. MOST of the work is ours. Could you please explain this?

I agree that you should not spend your life too tight. May I ask what your caloric count is per day? The band is not meant to make you loose weight automatically, we have to work it as well.

I would do everything in my power to find another Dr. It sounds like you need more support than what they are giving you.

What I mean is the things like holding your breath so you won't throw up when you eat to fast, or trying to eat 10 meals a day (like people have nothing else to do) or drinking a certain amount of Water, or trying to figure out what you can or cannot eat. Keeping track of your calorie intake, just things like that and other stuff I can't come up with right now. You know things you were trying to do before you got the band, except for the purging of course. Since I had this band there are endless suggessions on how to make it finally work. You know like trying to get just the right fill. Go figure.

When I write my food down I try to stay within the 1200 calorie range, which worked before the band and also works now. If I had the wrong idea about this band it is because I was definately given the wrong info by my doctor and others. It was like get the band and just wait for the pounds to come off. I have talked to others that summed it up as a tool to make dieting easier and that pretty much hit the mark of how it will work for people like me.

I guess I should say I am 55 and have a thyroid issue, and also think I have done alot of damage to my body with dieting in stupid ways, like the diet pills and not eating the correct things, and starving in the earlier days. The list goes on.

Carol, how much Water are you taking in a day. I have a hypothroid, take .275 of synthroid daily. I was getting hungry about 1 1/2 to 2 hours after eating, was doing what I was suppose to do. My dr. told me to up my Water intake to 80 ozs a day and that fixed my issue. I was just needing water not food.

I must admit I don't drink enough water, my doctor told me gatorade rain was the way to go. Well I have drank so much of that and now like people get on Pepsi I have cravings for gatorade rain. Trying to get of that because I was drinking way to much. Not to mention the calorie intake! Think I'll try other things like flavored water, I HATE water so this should be interesting.

What I mean is the things like holding your breath so you won't throw up when you eat to fast, or trying to eat 10 meals a day (like people have nothing else to do) or drinking a certain amount of Water, or trying to figure out what you can or cannot eat. Keeping track of your calorie intake, just things like that and other stuff I can't come up with right now. You know things you were trying to do before you got the band, except for the purging of course. Since I had this band there are endless suggessions on how to make it finally work. You know like trying to get just the right fill. Go figure.

When I write my food down I try to stay within the 1200 calorie range, which worked before the band and also works now. If I had the wrong idea about this band it is because I was definately given the wrong info by my doctor and others. It was like get the band and just wait for the pounds to come off. I have talked to others that summed it up as a tool to make dieting easier and that pretty much hit the mark of how it will work for people like me.

I guess I should say I am 55 and have a thyroid issue, and also think I have done alot of damage to my body with dieting in stupid ways, like the diet pills and not eating the correct things, and starving in the earlier days. The list goes on.

I agree there are lots of ways to make your band work, but I don't think they are gimmicks. Except for the holding breath thing, that just sounds plain nuts. :D

I am so sorry your Dr mislead you, I am sure it was out of ignorance of the band. I was taught it is a tool and you have to treat as such. My Dr made it clear to me that it wasn't a quick fix. I am so sorry your did not, maybe that adds to some of your frustration and adds to the lack of loss.

Gatorade Rain is good but it certainly NOT meant to replace Water. I agree there are probly too many calories in it to drink constantly. A great thing for water is fresh lemon. I love to add it to my water, even in water bottles. You can really add any fresh fruit to give it a little flavor, it may help you!

I think you are faced with more challenges than many and may need to see a Dr that is more specialized to help you. If you really have messed up your metabolism the band may not work right no matter what you do. 1200 calories is certainly within range for weight loss and good, I would start investigating Drs in the area to help you.

Are you drinking within 90 minutes after you eat? Any possibility you are washing the food through the band?

Both sugar and atrificial sweeteners can raise blood sugar and then cause it to crash and give you horrible food cravings. Can you think though Water with lemon juice or some such thing without any sweetener to it and observe your hunger for a few days?

Think about this...if you can't eat any meat, maybe a slight unfill is necessary so you can get the right foods in that help you stay full.

Have you looked at lifestyle issues? I don't care if I just ate a cow, I am triggered by boredom. The minute I sit down to watch TV, I want nonstop food. I've had to white knuckle it at times. Mostly though when I get a craving at TV, I pick up a bottle of Water, or a start stretching and mildly exercising while I watch. Sometimes I just have to stand up and watch for awhile until the habit passes. Same with sitting at my computer, although that one has pretty well faded away now.

For me, the band was a lot like quitting smoking ages ago...what to do when I'm used to moving my hand to my mouth all the time.....

Don't throw in the towel. There are lots of things to think about and try to develop a good relationhip with your band. Let's keep brainstorming.

Yes I will do that, as far as doctors but if you ever start trying to get one to see you after you have already had the surgery good luck. And I really refuse to travel 40 miles to start my search. The only doctor that does it here won't help me at all. I know of him and his reputation so I would feel good going to see him, but now can do. He says he is not taking any new patients but has a advertisement on television for lap band surgery. :lie: