Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not working

I have been contacted to reply on this forum and here goes....

This band is not working for me and I can't see how it does work. I was under the impression that is works as far as restricting you hunger, well that is true but I am finding I'm hungry an hour later. So basically it is like going on a diet only u have the band and that is suppose to help you curve hunger and eat healty and make the right choices, which is what I was trying to do before the band. I am now writing down food intake and counting calories, AGAIN.

:faint:

Carol, if you're trully hungry an hour after eating then your band is indeed not working correctly. You have a larger band and it may just be that you have not reached an effective level of restriction. The fact of having 6.5 ccs of Fluid means nothing--YOUR optimum level may be 7, 8, or 9 ccs and you just won't know until you get there.

Don't give up!! You can't know how it will work for you until you've gotten to that perfect restriction level for you. I can't tell you how many posts like yours I've seen that only turn into "OH!! NOW I see!!" posts later on. I know it's hard--I'm unfilled right now myself, and struggling--but I also know a band that's filled properly is like the promised land. It's out there, we just have to find where it is for ourselves.

Good luck!!

Carol,

Also try to increase your Protein, which will make you feel fuller longer, and also increase your Water. I'm due for a fill, and am paying strict attention to my protein. The band is simply a tool, not a cure all, unfortunately....so we still need to make the healthy choices. I'm noticing that at times I'm hungry an hour after dinner too, but have noticed it's not as intense if my meal contained high protein. Also, I'm still battling with "head hunger". Good luck to you...

Peggy

I know you guys are trying to help but I have had restriction so tight that for 8 months or so I could not sit down to eat so I got 1.5cc taken out. It certainly help where I could finally sit and eat but I still had no luck as far as what this band was suppose to be doing. I am just glad I can actually sit and eat like a almost normal person. I had all kinds of thyroid test run and yes I do have a problem as far as my thyroid but I have been taking medicine for it for years. I am still restricted to the point that I don't dare eat meat or some other things, as you all know this is very much of a guessing game as to how it is going to act. My doctor said she has 5 patience that have had the band and 2 of them are very successful one of them not being me.:guess

Have you thought about a second opinion? My doctor has done over 1500 lap-band surgeries. 5 is a spooky number. I know he is not in Colorado, but he or his staff may be able to point you in the right direction, or you could go to him, if the situation is that desperate. Perhaps your doctor is not experienced enough?

Dr. Michael Nusbaum

Gastric Bypass and Gastric Banding Weigh Loss Surgery - West Orange, NJ

Oh yes I have thought of another Doctor but good luck getting one to see you after you have already had the surgery.

Another fill is definately not the answer since I already went though so many months of being totally miserable from being way to tight!

The band is not for everybody and I went through so much hoping it would work, that includes all the gimmicks people try to make it work. I had no idea there were so many things and tricks to proform to get something to work. So far just going back to what I was doing before the band is working okay, just a hugh disappointment.:tired

I'm not sure what you mean by tricks and gimmicks. Today is my one month anniversary of being banded, and I have lost 37 pounds so far. What I've done so far is not tricky at all, although I will admit my results are vastly different than others I have seen (partly because I've heard the Basal Metabolic Rate of being male is higher). Here is what I've done in a nutshell:

1. Followed 95% of the diet requirements (I ignored not drinking caffeinated coffee...need my go-go juice)

2. Pack all three meals every morning before I go to work, and eat only what I packed...nothing else.

3. Do 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week, and 4 days a week do strength training (I just started the strength training this week)

4. Because I don't mind it, I stay pretty much on a full liquid diet during the week, with the exceptions being 1 hard-boiled egg and 1 hard-boiled egg white in the morning and tuna at night. On the weekends I expand my menu a little.

That's wonderful for you.

So far I have went back to doing 20 minutes of excercise and writing down my intake of calories and food.

I'm still eating slow so as not to throw up though and still have to go without meat and a few other no no's like Pasta, rice, most fruit, the list goes on....

Whatever it takes huh?

Carol, I am so sorry that you are struggling with the band hon, I am newly banded so I cant give you anecdotal advice, but I was wondering - I know for sure that it is part of my problem - is it that you are struggling with the head hunger/tummy hunger thing?

Maybe if you try sucking on a sugar free mint or drinking some sugar free juice when you get hungry that might give you time to work out which one it is.

When you were at 6.5 did you still get hungry? If you didnt then why not try a 6cc fill and if you did maybe it is head hungry.

I have the devils own time telling the diference between the 2, I swear when that mmmmm I could just eat a snicker comes over me it sure feels like real hunger!LOL

Please dont lose heart hon, I can feel your pain through your post, have you managed to lose any weight yet? I am sure that someone here will have been through the same feelings at some point and be able to help you.

((((hug))))

Nina x

Oooh I just realised you said you have an underactive thyroid, hmmm that explains a lot hon , my stepmum has been a Uk size 10 (lucky bugger) her whole life until about 6/7 years ago when in the space of about 6 months she rocketed up to a UK16, she had her thyroid tested and now even WITH meds she lives on 18 weight watchers points a day to maintain a UK 12/14. It upsets her so much that no matter what she does if she has ONE day when she eats 'normally' she can put on 3lb.

I wonder if this is what is contibuting to your struggle hon?

Nina xx

I have been contacted to reply on this forum and here goes....

This band is not working for me and I can't see how it does work. I was under the impression that is works as far as restricting you hunger, well that is true but I am finding I'm hungry an hour later. So basically it is like going on a diet only u have the band and that is suppose to help you curve hunger and eat healty and make the right choices, which is what I was trying to do before the band. I am now writing down food intake and counting calories, AGAIN.

:faint:

Hi Carol:

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I think there are a few things going on here:

1) You have a VERY inexperienced Band doctor (only 5 patients??). That not only can affect the surgical outcome, it can also affect the success of the band in terms of fills--technique, amounts, frequency, etc. I think you really need to find a more experienced Band doctor. Many will see patients that are not their own...for a fee. (Trust me, I was Banded in Mexico so am well aware of it.) Why not post on the Fills forum and see if anybody can recommend somebody?

2) Your fill level is not optimal. You may only need to add 0.1 cc, but it can make all of the difference in the world.

3) You believed that the Band would do all the work. That usually isn't the case. Many people can lose weight with the Band just by letting the Band do its job...but it does require people to make good choices. A lot of Bandsters use their Band with another diet regimen... Weight Watchers, Low-Carb, South Beach, etc. The difference is that the Band allows them to stick to those plans.

Sorry thing aren't going well for you right now. I hope things get better! ;)

What types of things are you eating? Can you give a typical list? Are you consuming too many calories of soft foods?

I know that I can eat ice cream til the cows come home but give me chicken or some other kinds of meat and I am full after a few bites or I pb. (unless it's melt in your mouth moist)

I will NOT lose if I have too many carbs and not enough protien.. I have been on thyroid meds since the age of 22 (HYPOthyroid & I have PCOS) which is why lower carbs works for me and my insulin resistance......

Are you drinking your Water??????

I would say... go back to the basics and act like you are a newbie bandster (even though you are clearly not) Find a local support group and attend a few meetings.

Your version of REGULAR EATING should change.... I know mine has.

Hi Carol:

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I think there are a few things going on here:

1) You have a VERY inexperienced Band doctor (only 5 patients??). That not only can affect the surgical outcome, it can also affect the success of the band in terms of fills--technique, amounts, frequency, etc. I think you really need to find a more experienced Band doctor. Many will see patients that are not their own...for a fee. (Trust me, I was Banded in Mexico so am well aware of it.) Why not post on the Fills forum and see if anybody can recommend somebody?

2) Your fill level is not optimal. You may only need to add 0.1 cc, but it can make all of the difference in the world.

3) You believed that the Band would do all the work. That usually isn't the case. Many people can lose weight with the Band just by letting the Band do its job...but it does require people to make good choices. A lot of Bandsters use their Band with another diet regimen... Weight Watchers, Low-Carb, South Beach, etc. The difference is that the Band allows them to stick to those plans.

Sorry thing aren't going well for you right now. I hope things get better! :boink:

No not 5 patients not my band doctor he has done I'm sure close to 300 at the time I was banded by him. That was my family doctor I was talking about that said she had 5 patients that had been banded and 2 were doing great!!!!

I had these fills to 6.5 about every month or so until it got to tight at 6.5 that was when I could not sit to eat and was pbing all the time. Then the doctor took out 1cc and now I can sit and eat and also not throw up hardly at all anymore which is wonderful. But I am still restricted on alot of things. One being most meats.

Yes somebody said eating bits of chicken or any meat fills you up quickly and that is so true. But I do not stay full but for very long about an hour. Then I usually just get hungry for other things other than meat.< /p>

I know with all the success everyone else is having I must be doing something wrong, BUT WHAT? Also after a year and 1/2 of this #%$$^ I'm pretting sick of it all. But at least not throwing up sick.

Oh yes I have thought of another Doctor but good luck getting one to see you after you have already had the surgery.

Another fill is definately not the answer since I already went though so many months of being totally miserable from being way to tight!

The band is not for everybody and I went through so much hoping it would work, that includes all the gimmicks people try to make it work. I had no idea there were so many things and tricks to proform to get something to work. So far just going back to what I was doing before the band is working okay, just a hugh disappointment.:tired

Carol

I am sorry that you are having trouble with the band, but I am going to ask you what you mean by gimicks or tricks? There aren't gimmicks or tricks to get the band to work. MOST of the work is ours. Could you please explain this?

I agree that you should not spend your life too tight. May I ask what your caloric count is per day? The band is not meant to make you loose weight automatically, we have to work it as well.

I would do everything in my power to find another Dr. It sounds like you need more support than what they are giving you.