Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too much before surgery

Hi! I am having my surgery in two weeks and although my doctor told me there is no real diet plan to follow before surgery, I should try to get into a habit of cutting down on sugars and carbonated beverages, etc. I will be on liquids for 3 weeks and then mushies for 3 weeks after surgery. My problem is I feel like this is feast or famine for me now. I almost feel like a bear who is about to go into hibernation state :) and I must eat everything my heart desires now before I will have to live on liquids for 3 weeks. Meanwhile I am sure I have probably gained some weight during this period. Did anyone else have this problem? I have been trying different Protein Drinks to find some that taste good but as far as cutting back on my portions now -- uh, I just can't seem to slow down for fear I will not get enough before I am on liquids! It is so sick.

I am sure this has been asked a thousand times but what is generally the average weight loss during the 6 week period, especially with 3 weeks of liquids? I am kind of concerned that is such a small amount to be living off of for those three weeks, but I would expect a lot of weight loss too if that is all you can take in during that time. Thanks!

Mistybreezes

Mistybreezes..

I experienced the exact same thing you are going through right now. I ate to my hearts content right up until the night before surgery.

I too was also on liquids for 3 weeks and I was worried I would never make it through it all but I did and honestly I was not even hungry for the first 2 weeks post op. You have so much swelling and gas that food doesnt even sound good, atleast for me it was that way. Everyones weight loss varies I lost 19 lbs in the first 6 weeks...many will tell you though that the first 6 weeks is not about weight loss but healing, any weight you lose is a bonus, so do not get discouraged if your weight loss is slow during this time. Some have lost lots of weight where others have not, it is once you start getting your fills is when the band really starts working. However, there are both men and women who have great restriction from the start and go months before ever getting a fill. Some have also made it it goal with no fill, but that is more of a rarity. I had my first fill at 9 weeks post op. I am now 9 months post op, have lost 73.50 lbs and am goin in for my 3rd fill next Monday. Best of Luck to you onm your upcoming surgery. :)

Ha Ha, like you're alone? Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you. I ate the Last Super every day for a month before surgery, even though I was told to stay on a low-fat diet. Doc didn't mind, he knows obese people EAT (which is why we need the band.)

Michelle's right, you'll feel so gross with all these weird gas and bloating feelings that you won't even think about food for at least a week or two. Don't worry, we've all been through it.

Nobody can tell you how much you'll lose in those first few weeks after surgery. It depends on a lot of things, like your personal metabolism, how much weight you have to lose, how many calories you drink, etc. The recovery period isn't about losing weight, although that's all we care about! It's about healing. If you lose, it's just a bonus. But if you aren't careful, you can drink thousands of calories in Clear Liquids without even realizing it. I was shocked after adding up all the liquids during my liquid phase. Add up Jello, fruit punch, apple juice, cranberry, skim milk, ice tea, popsicles. All those calories add up fast.

If you want to watch liquid calories, either drink sugar free stuff or at least dilute the sweet stuff with Water.

How about using http://fitday.com now, before you're banded? Then continue it afterwards. It will really help you keep track of what you're eating, good and bad. If you were able to control your eating habits, you wouldn't have a weight problem and wouldn't be considering the band. We've all done that. The only thing that kept me half-way honest before banding was a bad gallbladder (that was removed during banding.) Hang in there, you can do it!

I was the same way, too. I gained several pounds just before surgery. Luckily the 2 weeks of liquid pre-op took it all off.

I was only on liquids 24 hrs before surgery. I still laugh at my "last meal" before surgery, the Waffle House, a waffle with strawberry Syrup. Now I think of all the things I wish I'd chosen, great big juicy hamburger with the works or sushi, duh what was I thinking? Oh yea, I was joining my two grandsons, 10 yrs and 11 months where they wanted to eat. As Martha would say, "It was a good thing!"

Then I was on liquids 2 weeks after surgery, but my doctor told me I could have anything that would go through a straw. It's amazing what you can get through a straw, especially the second week.

I had my first fill today and I will admit I am not excited about being back on the liquid phase, thank goodness only 24 hours though, only 18 to go.

Good Luck

The night before my surgery I had a huge steak dinner... I laugh now because I chewed the steak a bizillon times thinking I will never have this taste again...:0 Hang in there... Your last suppers are normal. Just remember what you put on is more that you will have to take off... so be good to yourself .... :) if you can.

I was just reading Dr Ortiz's book this afternoon about how so many people go out the night before surgery and stuff themselves only to have all of that in their colon the day of surgery. Then, out of surgery they have pretty painful gas and wonder why?? Hmm....

I did the same thing babe! Actually now I wish I hadn't eaten all that junk because I can still have it now, just is smaller portions! It's just more for me to get rid of....everyone is different, there is no set amount to loose and don't weigh yourself because it will not be good for your sanity :) You will do wonderfully and youknow what if you want those last meals have them! I did as I'm sure most other bandsters did, and you know what it's ok! I say this as I sit here with my crystal light sipping like a true crazy bandster! Oh by the way, you should look into the fitday.com thing because it's really a great tool! Leatha got me hooked on it and now I use it all the time just to see if I have all my Protein and where I can cut carbs that kind of thing!

I guess I did something wrong here. I wrote a reply but I don't see it posted, maybe it went to one of you personally? Anyway, thank you for making me feel "normal" again! I am really going to try hard this next week to not eat anything that doesn't taste really good and to try and control the portions. I think we will go out for a nice dinner this weekend and that be it with eating out for awhile. I am so excited but really nervous about the HUGE life changes ahead. I just keep trying to think of all the good that will come from losing this weight. I also really have to be good about staying on track as this is an investment in myself -- I am paying for the surgery, no insurance coverage, and it will cost 17K! That could have paid off my car, but I think this is more important at this point in my life. Thank you for your support, I know I will be leaning on you guys a lot during this whole process!

Mistybreezes

5'2", 238, surgery 1/21/05

I'm not so sure about the gas, Leatha, cuz I ate too much all week, but then clear-liquid-fasted for 48 hours before surgery, and I still had gas pains. But I was lucky cuz I didn't have need for a BM for a few days after surgery. I can't imagine having to take care of that kinda business the day after surgery, so if I ever had to do it again, I'd stick with the 48 hour liquid fast, at least.