Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there. I can only give you some advice about the esg part. I’m not sure about an RNY, don’t know much about that. I’m going on for a consult to have the esg procedure. First of all, it all depends on how much weight you want to lose. An esg is noninvasive meaning no incisions. It is performed endoscopicly, through the mouth, where the stomach is stitched together. It is a same day or outpatient procedure. It has much less downtime but it has reported less weight loss than a laparoscopic sleeve but more than a lap band. It is also a newer procedure with not much long term data. The studies done on this show promise though so I’m going this route. Also you can qualify for this with a lower BMI (as low as 30). I hope that helps. It all depends on the amount of weight you need to lose and how much recovery time you can spare I guess. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I just wanted to add that RNY is much more invasive but has a proven track record. It has the best success rate of any WLS out there. It is also permanent so there’s no going back. An esg can be revised or eventually converted or revised to an RNY. I hope I didn’t confuse you more. I’m just trying to help. 😬😬

If you have severe acid reflux (GERD), RNY is recommend over sleeve because sleeve will only make this condition worse.

" It is also permanent so there’s no going back"

technically, the RNY *is* reversible. They just won't do it unless you have some serious medical issues that can't be resolved otherwise.

Oh thanks for the clarification. I always thought that the RNY was the most invasive of the WLS but it was also considered the gold standard because of its success rate and effectiveness long term. Well that is also something for craven.jennah09 to think about then.

Edited by hope4momof4

12 hours ago, James Marusek said:

If you have severe acid reflux (GERD), RNY is recommend over sleeve because sleeve will only make this condition worse.

The original poster is not considering a sleeve gastrectomy...(s)he is deciding between the endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG) and the gastric bypass.

Since the ESG doesn't yet have a proven track record with regards to durable, persistent weight loss that is kept off over the years, I'd be leery.

Remember the following tenet: obesity is not curable, ever. Obesity can be put into remission by attaining a normal weight, but the body typically fights to get back to where it once was.

The bypass is noted for its ability to address the neurohormonal influences that drive the body to regain, whereas the ESG is still unproven.

1 hour ago, Introversion said:

The original poster is not considering a sleeve gastrectomy...(s)he is deciding between the endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG) and the gastric bypass.

Since the ESG doesn't yet have a proven track record with regards to durable, persistent weight loss that is kept off over the years, I'd be leery.

Remember the following tenet: obesity is not curable, ever. Obesity can be put into remission by attaining a normal weight, but the body typically fights to get back to where it once was.

The bypass is noted for its ability to address the neurohormonal influences that drive the body to regain, whereas the ESG is still unproven.

You’re right of course but ESG is more appropriate for people with “lower” BMIs who are not candidates for the other more invasive surgeries. It is almost the only option for people like me (BMI of 32, yo yo dieting for countless years) and who are afraid to venture out into Mexico. (I’m not putting down anyone who has taken that route by no means, I honestly wish I were that brave). Yes we are taking a chance that this may or may not work but someone like me just can’t go on like this. I’m sure many on this forum can relate.