Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IV fluids during first few weeks after surgery?

Hi, folks! I'm still in pre-surgery land, but I've been researching post-op foods and what to expect. In Nashville, where I live, there's a company, iRevive, that offers IV fluids with Vitamins and other additives for about $130/1 liter. From what I understand, you can make an appointment (or not) and just show up to have an IV drip put in.... Before I ever considered having a gastric sleeve op, I thought the idea was nuts. But now, I'm wondering whether that'd be a decent way to avoid dehydration during the first couple of weeks/months.

Any thoughts on this? Have you used a service like this? It isn't cheap, but it might be cheaper than an ER visit.

- tBot

Weeks/months? You'll be spending thousands of dollars.

Follow the directions and you'll be fine. Yes dehydration is the most common cause of readmission after a sleeve. But it's really not that difficult to avoid. I'm about 10 days post op from a sleeve and I absolutely shatter my Fluid intake everyday. If I cut back on Protein then I could REALLY get a lot of fluid.

If you're having tons of issues with post op nausea and vomiting (causing you to either lose or not drink fluid) you'd be better off going to the emergency room anyway so they can check things out and get you some meds.

Honestly it's a terrible idea. Unless you're stupid rich, in which case it sounds like a nice luxury but I'd probably still spend the money on massages and maybe someone in a bikini to fan me with a giant leaf instead

If someone needs the ER they should go to the ER to be monitored not some other place with no doctor's.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

There's no need to be insulting, folks. I haven't yet been through this process, so I'm simply asking questions. Calling it 'bonkers' or implying that I'm too stupid to go to the ER when necessary is unnecessary rudeness on your part.

17 hours ago, tBot said:

There's no need to be insulting, folks. I haven't yet been through this process, so I'm simply asking questions. Calling it 'bonkers' or implying that I'm too stupid to go to the ER when necessary is unnecessary rudeness on your part.

Lol I'm in the UK since when is saying something sounds bonkers (crazy) to me became an insult when ? We answered your question. But no problem. Will just scroll past like most people did. I wasn't being insulting it's a pretty common phrase here. Plus your the one who mentioned going to these people are cheaper than an ER visit lol so no it wasn't rudeness on my part pointing out the obvious. Go ahead and go to them instead of the ER doesn't effect anyone we were just trying to help. You should say thank you for answering. Next time I'll just scroll past like most people did.Bye.

Edited by dreamingsmall

It's probably not something I would try but there are a lot of people who still have nausea and vomiting months out

and all tests are saying there is nothing wrong. If you suffered that in the beginning once given the medical clearance it might be something worthwhile to do once or twice. Saves clogging the ER unnecessarily. Last time I went to the ER in a private hospital even with insurance cost me $1000

Sent from my CPH1607 using BariatricPal mobile app