Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I'm 7 weeks out (heading into week 8) and have pretty debilitating and regular nausea. I had to stay in hospital for 5 days instead of the 2-3 because of it and they 'broke' the cycle with a round of 6 different meds. I have been on a regime of medication for it and pretty much tried the majority of prescription meds and a good set of over the counter meds. Ondansetron was the most effective but that is losing its touch. I get around 15 -20 minutes relief and then on the sick train again. I have a fantastic team of medical peeps (GP, Medical Dietitian, Surgeon and GP nurses) but they seem to have reached their limit in their understanding and I figured, maybe I should ask the people who have the experience of the affects of a SG.

I have tried variations of no meds (thinking this may be contributing) to closely monitoring food types, to Protein issues and Fluid issues. Nothing seems to be the culprit except for a new discovery - I didn't eat this morning and felt great. As soon as I had a puree light meal (like a 1/4 of a cup) I felt off. I should add, I have had some vomiting (3 times in the last 3 weeks-ish) - last one was yesterday and had a little blood in it so I reckon this nausea is something I really need to address.

I'm wondering if after a sleeve gastrectomy if our stomach flora may be upset significantly and this could be causing eating related nausea? A lot of people seem to have nausea. Has anyone tried a probiotic for the nausea specifically and did it help or hinder?? I would be really interested to hear of any experiences with this as this is my last option for relief really. I'm an Aussie so any brand suggestions would be appreciated but Aussie ones :)

Looking forward to hearing what you all think.

Edited by Sinderbug
forgot to add something that may be useful!

I understand how you feel ad I type this I have a bottle of ondansetron by my bed. I have not to take any lately because I do take a probiotic pill, but what I have found most helpful is fresh ginger tea, which is also good because it counts for my liquid intake. When I say fresh I found a tea shop that specializes in fresh loose teas and I can buy it to make at home.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks so much for this, ginger is one of the few things I haven't tried yet (not keen on the taste but I just need to give anything a go!) So, I may actually just buy a stick of ginger to grate and give that a go. I'm actually heading out in a few minutes to get some Probiotics too.

A quick update, the ginger didn't do anything for me but the probiotics have reduced my nausea immensely! I don't know why no one on your medical team tells you this but it has been a life saver! I still have occasional nausea particularly after eating but its no where near as bad as it was. Highly recommend anyone in a similar situation to give probiotics a go.