Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel like crP

I had revision from band to rny on 11/13. Good Lord I feel terrible. I'm very sore, and nauseous. I have been able to get at least 60 oz of Fluid down so that's good. My surgeon does not believe in sending patients home with any pain meds, and are giving me a hard time about refilling the Zofran. They sent me home with five Zofran, that's it. I guess because I know how my previous surgery went, that I was sent home with pain meds to last a few days I'm a little irritated. I know that having bypass is so different then band, I feel very strange. How long until I feel better?

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon's office has said the same thing about pain medication (they don't do it). For other's who read this... is this pretty standard? I haven't had my surgery, but it def worries me as well. As far as the Zofran, I don't know why there would be a problem with getting a refill? If your surgeon's office isn't of great help, then I would contact your primary care doctor.

That is absolutely ridiculous of ur surgeons!! They're being bastards about it because of the opiod crisis, but gimme a break. This is MAJOR surgery and a 5 or 7 day supply of pain meds is NOT going to create an addict of u, plus it's the right thing to do! My surgeon sent me home with a 5 day liquid supply of hydrocodone. Once it was gone, that was it. Which was fine. At that point, my pain was manageable without opiates anyway, as should the general post op patient. I mean, some folks don't need any pain meds at all post op, but generally speaking, I would say it's the norm for patients to need a few days worth post-op.

Ugh, it just irritates me that these doctors have gone to the other extreme and are just not prescribing opiates at all, especially the ones performing major surgery! So arw they leaving u in the hospital until ur pain is manageable without meds?? Or its next day and buh-bye?

I don't know if ur primary care will give u a few days worth RX if u tell him/her that ur surgeon isnt going to, but what have u got to lose by asking him/her? I would. Good luck!

Ps. You will start to feel better every single day, bit by bit. For me (Im 2 mos post-op), it took about 2 to 2.5 weeks to feel semi-normalcy again. Hang in there. U just had major surgery and ur in major heal mode right now. Ur tummy's mad at u so nausea is normal. Just give urself some time. Take care.

It has to do with how opiods effect the stomach, not restricting pain mangement. From what I've told. It is to prevent Constipation and slowing of digestion along with other things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using BariatricPal mobile app

That's just an excuse they're giving u, in my opinion. Yes, opiates can cause constipation, but giving a 5 or 7 day supply after a major surgery isn't out of the realm of acceptable. Besides, were not allowed to eat anything anyway for the first couple of weeks so constipation 5-7 days post op isn't as big of an issue.

Mine gives me a five day supply of Tramadol and plenty of Zofran. But I’ll also be on Colace for a few days too until I’m regular again. Your surgeon is being overly cautious. I mean it’s not like you can pop some Advil for the pain FFS.