Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. My surgery date is 11/27/17. I started my two week pre-op diet today. How is everyone setting their goal weight? Are you going by what charts say you should weigh using your height, or coming up with a number for yourself?

Sent from my LGMS631 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am not setting a goal weight! At our clinic they use the term "best weight " that is when you are eating in a healthy way that you can sustain long term and your body stops losing....that way you will never feel disappointed if you don't reach a certain number on the scale.....every lb lost is a victory for me so I don't ever want to feel like I failed

Sent from my SM-G950W using BariatricPal mobile app

The only reason I ever pick a "goal weight" is for my ticker (you can see it below if you use a laptop).

Otherwise, my first goal is to have my waist circumference less than 1/2 my height.

(I am 67 inches tall, so need my waist to be less than 33.5 inches in circumference... around the smallest area above the belly button). It's sitting at 34 inches right now.... oh so close! (Started at 49")

But, even another inch off my waist isn't where I want to be. I probably have 30-40 more pounds that I need to drop. I wanna see collar bones! And my thighs are still really chunky.

If I can get to size 8 pant (6 in my oversized brand) then I think I'll be done. I figure I'll weigh around 165 or 170 (I'm 5'7).

Shoot, I have to change my ticker again...

I second the idea of a 'best weight' rather than a goal weight. For me, part of it is that I can't fathom seeing myself at 150lbs or lower, and that just seems way too drastic at this point. My weight loss goals are much smaller and shorter term. Like right now I'm working on the weight I need to lose to meet my surgeon's goal. I also have a shirt that I bought last year that I absolutely loved online, but when it came it was too small but I couldn't return it... so now one of my goals is to fit into it. I like the idea of using inches too.

I did choose what I call an initial goal weight based on the weight charts. I chose 160 for this initial goal, since that's still in the overweight category. Once I'm close to that or there, I'll decide on if I want to keep losing weight or start maintenance. I'm also taking into consideration that my body composition may be different (more muscle than fat), so I may be small already but weight more than 'normal' because of the muscle mass, not fat. But at least it gives me a bit of an anchor to swim to.

And yeah, I LOL'd when I saw that 114lbs at the bottom end of 'normal.' I probably haven't weighed that little since grade school :lol:

Height Weight
Normal Overweight Obese
5' 5" 114 to 149 lbs. 150 to 179 lbs. 180 to 234 lbs.

I am going by the chart. I am 6'4" so I should be about 190. I will get as close to that as is possible.

Hmmm... My doc saids 150 ... I say 170... when I was at that weight, I loooooooved my bod! [emoji8]

“There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, there are no limits.” —Michael Phelps

Hmmm... My doc saids 150 ... I say 170... when I was at that weight, I loooooooved my bod! [emoji8]

“There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, there are no limits.” —Michael Phelps