Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on Tuesday the 16th and incredibly hungry

I have seen many posts about people not being hungry at all for 2 weeks post-op. I feel hungrier now than I did on the pre-op liquid diet. The doctor says that I didn't swell like most people.

Did anyone else feel starved after the band? I made it through the pre-op diet (barely), anticipating not feeling hungry on the way out. Now I am hoping that I can get a fill on my post-op visit, but that is still 2 weeks.

:help:

Starved after the band? OF COURSE!!!! I was chewing my leg off by week three. If you didn't swell like most other people, then you healed faster and will get hungry faster. Bless your heart, you are in the throes of BANDSTER HELL right now. Just a word of caution...don't hang your hat on that first fill. With a majority of people it does nothing, so expect that and anything good that comes from it will be serendipitous. I didn't notice a distinct change until my 3rd fill. However, I was doing well retraining myself and had "shrunk" my stomach during the liquid mushie stage and was able to cowboy up and crawl through until I got some decent restriction. This too shall pass.

Hi Kevin, I was banded the same day and for the first three days I was fine. Today I am starving too. Right now my husband is making a pork roast dinner for the family and it smells sooooo good I am going to have to really try hard to imagine my shake as a plate of that dinner. I don't want them to stop living because of my situation and I honestly didn't think I would be this hungry. I'm just glad right now that he is actually taking care of the whole meal thing right now because I don't think I could do it. I guess if we realy want this to work (and I do) we just have to grin and bear it. So chin up!!!! We will make it!!!

Bekkie

Hi Kevin,

I was banded 2 days after you and have been amazed and how HUNGRY I have been feeling. I almost feel like I was less hungry on the pre-op liquid diet. My stomach is rumbling all the time and if I smell one more cup of bouillion (well I won't go there).

You are not alone in your agony...it helps to know others are feeling this way too. I am hanging on for the start of 'mushy foods' next week and then my first fill on 11/15. I think as long as I can can eat SOMETHING besides crystal light and Water and liquid Protein, I will survive.

Hang in there, I feel the SAME way!!! :ranger:

weight.png

Thanks everyone for replying.

I have made it through the first week and have started the mushies. I got to talk to the dietician and he mentioned that this does happen sometimes, and that if I wanted to try some solid foods that that is probably fine, take it slow and chew, chew, chew. Also, that I should increase my intake to a cup of food at the cost of course of not losing much if any weight. This might help make it through until my first bandfill, which will hopefully provide some relief.

Thanks again everyone

Kevin you are so lucky. I can't believe you can start on your mushies now:omg:. I had my surgery on the 16th too and I think I healed fast so I have also been hungry but I am on my liquid diet for two weeks. Can't start mushies just yet. My Protein Shakes are not cutting it anymore. I'm counting my days to mashed potatoes. I'm glad you made it through the hunger :clap2:

hi beccie pls can u tell me what crystal light is everyone who's been banded is having it i want to order some as i get banded on 9th feb lso what is boullion? hope u r doing ok with ur weight loss regards lizzy

Wow...I can't believe that your dietician has approved solid food..even chewing it carefully...I guess each surgery clinic is different...Mine would not have recommended that because solid food is to heavy for the new banded stomach...it could cause your band to slip...the stomach is healing...that is why the light food..liquids, mushies, soft....then solids in week five...but I would assume that your dietician knows what is best for you...good luck...

I had the same experience. I just had my fourth fill today and so far have had very little restriction. Be patient, your swelling just went down quickly. Now until your first fill will be tough. I didn't lose any during that period of bandster hell. But it is okay and is totally normal. You have a band but no restriction and you won't for a while. Waiting is tough, but it is going to be worth it in the long run!

hi beccie pls can u tell me what crystal light is everyone who's been banded is having it i want to order some as i get banded on 9th feb lso what is boullion? hope u r doing ok with ur weight loss regards lizzy

If I understand correctly, they are talking about the diet powered soft drink. I also think they now come pre mixed on the soda isle. I also know a lot of stores have their own versions of it. I have found Walmart to be the lest expensive and it taste o.k. Good luck.

Hi Lizzie,

I've been drinking the lemonade (pretty good stuff) or the fruit punch. It helps me get my Water in every day when I get sick of drinking just water. What it is is a little package of flavoring you put into your bottles of water. It comes in different flavors and really helps to get the water down. Here's a link to the fruit punch:

Buy The Case: Crystal Light On the Go Fruit Punch Soft Drink Mix

Boullion is concentrated chicken or beef stock, you put a cube into a cup of hot water and VOILA! you have 'soup'. It's very salty, but when you are on liquids, it can be quite satisfying!

Good luck on your banding the 9th, you are going to LOVE IT!!

Keep us posted how you are doing.:biggrin2:

-Becky

P.S. Are you in the UK? :rolleyes2:

I was banded on 15th and I was hungry from about Day 4. However, after waking up starving, it only took a few sips of Optifast on my liquid diet for the hungry feelings to go away. Ordinarily, I would have satisfied this with 4 slices of toast!

hi bec, thanks for that info i'll have to order som off e-bay yes i'm from North England it's frezing here n raining at moment but soon be spring weather picks up then, hope u r well and loosing weight i hope it works for me i'm self pay so pls cross ur fingers for me hope to spk to u soon lizzy