Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depressed

I haven't posted for months. I haven't even lurked. I lost 60 pounds my first year and that was it. I went for 6 months without losing an ounce and now I'm starting to gain.

I've been unfilled and filled again. I've gone through bouts of PB's that I thought would never end. I still do several times a week. I just feel like i've failed and I went through so much to get here.

Am I the only one having this hard a time? Although I haven't been on for a long time, I remember everyone seemingly doing so well. I was even ashamed of my 60 pounds, like it just wasn't enough.

Don't get me wrong. I am so grateful for what I lost, I was able to put away my cane. I'm not on constant pain meds anymore. But I just wish I could get a kick start or something and get back on track.

Well, now that that's off my chest, maybe I'll lurk a little.

:cry

I have only lost 65 lbs in 16 months so don't feel so bad. One thing that happened to me resently is I decided to get a major fill. To the point of barely able to eat solids. I just had to have a minor adjustment today but I lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks. I really think with good restriction you shouldn't be able to eat more than 1/4

Even with my fill to the point of not being able to swallow, I could eat a normal size meal if I wanted to. I was PB'ing a lot, but because it took me so long to get anything down, I was probably eating more than the 1/4 cup of food per meal.

I am a newbie, but would think that the same rules apply to banded people. Input verses output. Exercise more, move, burn more calories than you consume. You may have plateau's but eventually you'll loose! Good luck to you!

I've lost 49 lbs in 3 Years! You are not alone. Most of my weight was in the first 6 months (45 lbs). I've only lost 4 lbs in the last 2 1/2 years. I have absolutely no restriction. My fill doctor wont put any more fill in my band ( I have 1.9cc) because when I had 2.5 cc in my band I had a lot of reflux. So, I also feel like a failure. :-(

Someone posted something on here about a plateau buster that they used. If I run across it again, I will linnk it. Anyone remember where it was?

I haven't posted for months. I haven't even lurked. I lost 60 pounds my first year and that was it. I went for 6 months without losing an ounce and now I'm starting to gain.

I've been unfilled and filled again. I've gone through bouts of PB's that I thought would never end. I still do several times a week. I just feel like i've failed and I went through so much to get here.

Am I the only one having this hard a time? Although I haven't been on for a long time, I remember everyone seemingly doing so well. I was even ashamed of my 60 pounds, like it just wasn't enough.

Don't get me wrong. I am so grateful for what I lost, I was able to put away my cane. I'm not on constant pain meds anymore. But I just wish I could get a kick start or something and get back on track.

Well, now that that's off my chest, maybe I'll lurk a little.

Ralheit - You lost 60 lbs that is no small feat - it you did it then you can continue to do it and get the rest of the weight off - you just have become complacent

You know that you struggle with emotional issues of confidence & esteem that comes with being fat. But you may not know that you could be what are called as an avoider. This is due to the turmoil that comes with public & private dislike for obesity and you avoid confronting your situation at because of the fear of not being able to beat it.

Here is how an avoider thinks – once you deviate even slightly from a diet or healthy eating you figure you might as we drop the whole thing – this stars a cycle that avoider can’t find a way out of – We are fat we try to lose weight we deviate just a little we feel rejection for the perceived failure we isolate ourselves from people we stop talking about it, we stop the diet we eat a pound of candy – we get fat then we try to lose weight and the cycle continues

Instead of avoiding bad foods avoider tend to want to avoid other things like the people who want to help them and the disciple of trying to eat healthy. Avoiders try to separate themselves from these 2 strong emotion associated with dieting.

The minute you ban any food from your diet you are setting yourself up for failure.

If you eat half a cookie or a couple of fires from that banned food list – the diet is dead and that’s where the guilt sets in and now you feel that you lack the strength to succeed.

This shame spins you back into the cycle of avoidance

When you reach an obstacle you decide that instead of trying to find a way around it you might a well turn around and go back to the beginning – four fry’s leads to a handful then the whole bag.

One way to handling emotional eating is you live & eat in the now – not being upset about what you are in the past and not obsessing about what you will eat in the future.

The very thing that’s designed to help people lose weight is the very thing that promotes this heavier – diets promote the all or nothing mentality. In our lives we allow for a margin of error – which we should also do when trying to eat healthy – if you are eating 1000-1200 calories a day – allow for some of those calories to be used for a little bit of something you really want - you need wiggle room in your diet to make it work – the all or nothing practices has to be thrown our of your mind.

You can learn to reprogram your mind to strip away the guilt that comes with dieting.

You have to realize that it’s not that the first slice of cake that will doom your diet – it’s the second or third or whole thing that leads to weight gain.

You have to listen to your body & respond smartly to your cravings and emotions but over time you will learn how to eat right and mange your craving and that’s when you’ll train your brain to stop obsessing about eating right and punishing yourself – If you stop overthinking you’ll stop over eating..

Go back to making healthy food choices – low fat – sugar free – I personally love WW style of eating – you get everything but it’s all about Portion Control – see your doc about your band – why are you pbing – eating too fast?? Not Chewing?? Trying to eat the wrong food??

Sweetie you can do this !!! You have proven you can by the 60 lbs loss – you took a little vacation and now it’s time to get back to work…

What's PB ing?

I can't beleive you are banded and don't know what this is :) This is the first question most newbies asking when they are researching the band.

Productive Burp.... sorta like a burp where your food comes back up..

You get it if you are stuck (golf ball in the chest feelling), eaten too fast or haven't chewed well. I guess you didn't find us until after you were banded - Welcome to band land - READ READ READ and you will learn tons. Good Luck to you...

I've lost 49 lbs in 3 Years! You are not alone. Most of my weight was in the first 6 months (45 lbs). I've only lost 4 lbs in the last 2 1/2 years. I have absolutely no restriction. My fill doctor wont put any more fill in my band ( I have 1.9cc) because when I had 2.5 cc in my band I had a lot of reflux. So, I also feel like a failure. :-(

Marsha my dear you gotta stand up for yourself - you pay the man - this is your band - go in there and ask for a small fill - how about 2. or 2.1 etc there is a point between 1.9 and 2.5 that may be your sweet spot - also what are you eating?? Are you exercising??? you know the band only does about 25% of the work and the other 75% is up to you... Come on now you have been on vacation long enought - get back on the band wagon - remember all the reasons you got the band in the 1st place...

Hi, has anyone tried this plateau busting diet? I was just wondering how well it worked. Thanks = )

Know how to break a plateau - eat less and increase the intensty of your exercise - calories in - calories out = weight loss - don't look for the gimics - look inside yourself ...

Thanks for the link Wasa!

I've been unfilled and filled again....

Hi Robin,

First, let me say welcome back! This is a fantastic and brave step you have taken. I believe that support is one of the most important steps you can have in being successful with the band. Get it where you can and glean all the good stuff out that you can.

One of the nice things about the band is that it is always there waiting for you. You can always come back to it and continue to work it. Every bandster is different and everyone has their own path to success (how you measure it and how you get there is up to you). You are still on your path, good work.

As opposed to criticism, if I may offer some of the things that helped me:

~you have to do some of the head work. That is that you have to learn to think like a fit person. Now how do you do that? One thing that really helped me was to read the book, "Feeding the Hungry Heart" by Geneen Roth. I learned from it some ways that I defeat myself and how to overcome that self defeat. Also, one of my favorite things to do is "fake it till you make it". Act like a fit eater and at some point, you may just find yourself being a fit eater.

Remember the bandster road rules (I will post out here when I am on my PC and can find the verbiage). They are rules to live by.

PBing...I have this issue from time to time and it is always for one of two reasons...I eat too fast or I don't chew enough. Things that help me with that...using baby spoon and seafood fork to eat with. Hard to put too much on those kinds of utinsels (closer to a bandster bite). To slow down I chew 30 times to ensure the bite is almost liquid, then swallow. Then push my plate/bowl away...wait for it. Then pull the plate/bowl back take the next bite and repeat. If you are still at the table 60 minutes later, STOP. It has been long enough. Go and brush your teeth. I find that brushing my teeth leaves that minty fresh taste and I don't like eating with fresh brushed teeth.

Do you have a local face-to-face banding support group? If yes, get involved. If no, get back to this or other banding forums and get the support you need.

Tell everyone...I know there is controversy over this thought, but I find it makes me accountable for my actions. Sometimes I get mad because someone is calling me on my actions, but that is what I want in my heart because the person calling me on the carpet has my best interests at heart (only my DH, BF and brother are brave enough to do this and I love them for it...when I get over being mad at them:)).

Find a friend to be available for that desperate phone call that you are craving a brownie and a mocha frappucino (I had this happen this week). I called my BF (she fields these calls for me) and said no. She is a brave woman that wants me to succeed and I appreciate her for it. She always gets a thank you before the conversation ends for saving me from myself.

Stay active on this board, even if it is just lurking. PM folks that you find helpful and ask specifics.

You can do this. It is wonderful that you are brave enough to get out here and share your story with us. Thank you.

Stay the banding course,

Mary

What's PB ing?

Hi topdownbug,

I too wondered what PBing was at first. It is not like there is a banding owners manual and if there was, it would not address every issue.

Here is a link to some banding lingo that will help.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f73/abbreviations-what-they-mean-7959/

I am constantly learning new things about the band. If you no longer learn you no longer grow. Keep asking those questions!:whoo:

Happy banding,

MMT