Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan

Does anyone have experience what bcbs of michigan expects as far as the 12 month medically supervised diet? I have record with my primary dr. for the past 12 months and also I have wieght watchers on line but dont know if that is acceptable? And what would they want from my Phsycologist for meetings in the past 12 months in regards to my dieting issues? If anyone can help I would be so happy. I just want to get this done with out much more time passing by. Thanks in advance for any help, Patti:help:

I am in month 8 of my 12mth supervised diet and it requires I keep a food & exercise log, writting down what I've eaten daily & what exercise I've done and SIGNED by my doctor monthly. I get weighed monthly at the doctors office. (this is with BCBS Mich too) You cannot miss a monthly weigh-in but I was told weight watchers would work too. I also had to have one "head" appt which I found was a waste of time because the Dr. I went to see went off on a tangent that had nothing to do with my weight issues.(she was talking about how there was "just more to life than what you see" I left the doctors appt laughing to myself that maybe she needed to get a collegues help herself. Anyway, back to your question, 12mths uninterrupted supervised weightloss, or WW or Jenny Craig, 1 head appt, and either BMI over 40 or over 35 with 2 co-morbidities.

Hello- My husbands compnay is switching to BCBS of MI - I have never really used our insurance untill now and of course midstream it changes. I have heard it is up to your ind. policy. My hubby's comp. is self ins. and they just use BCBS to addmin. the ins. ? I have a lot of questions myself but we have not recvd. our benf. package yet. I read on this web site of a girl who said she did not hve to wait the 12 mos. I personally feel waiting 12 mos. is so stupid - I don't need 12 mos to make up my mind if I am fat or not!! I have also heard that they were lax about the reqmts?! What kind of policy do you have ppo1 ppo2 hmo ? So many different ones. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. I have PPOM. What was the situation with the girl that did not have to wait 12 months? I was on the phone with them today because I need to know exactly the documentation they need so I am not doing too much back and forth action with them. Need my ducks in a row. Thanks and I hope it all works out well for you. Patti

Thanks for your reply it is really helpful. I hope your last 4 months go by fast for you. Do you happen to know what documentation that they want from Wieght Watchers if someone belongs to them. The customer service rep was not sure?? Again thanks. Patti.

The girl was on this website under insurance it was an old entry. I cann't remember all the details but it was not hard to find. I do not want to wait 12 mos. my doc. in north carolina said he had NEVER heard of a 12 month waiting period. I am going to see if I can work something out since I am in the middle of this and my ins. will not be changing until1-08. Let me knoe if you can not find this girl and I will look it up for you!

What I was told is they want a record of a monthly weigh-in, and food journals whether that comes from your doctor or weight watchers but it can't be interrupted meaning you can't miss a month. So I'm not sure WW on line would count. The woman on here who skipped the 12 mths had a form signed by her doctor & the insurance accepted that but I think that was specific to her coverage.

Insurance makes no since to me- It should be all the same- I wonder what kind of cov. she had. I am very anxious to find out exactly what kind I have. We are all in this together I will pray for peace of mind for us both tonight. I live in North Carolina where are you? It has taken me a while to find anyone who has BCBS MI- I still am not sure on the difference off the plans 1,2,hmo? We will soon find out! HAng in there!