Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suicide and Weight Loss Surgery

I think a holistic approach, including counselling/psychiatry/psychology is crucial for many (but not necessarily all) patients. To lose the weight without understanding why you overate in the first place is setting yourself up for a relapse.

I think support boards like this one are so important to help us know that we are not battling alone. I hope that if anyone reading this is suicidal, they will post about their feelings before doing anything drastic. Probably no one is a professional but we would try to help.

It's also important that we are supportive of each other, even when we disagree. I sometimes visit another forum (no, not THAT one) where people can occasionally be downright cruel and heartless towards each other. I always worry that an unkind word might push someone over the edge.

In pre-surgery counseling, I was told there would be no follow-up, BUT, if I should feel depressed, should I reach a plateau, need someone to talk to, or even ask for medication, I CAN and with open arms, but it is up to me to ASK, and to ASK was stressed about a half-a-dozen times.

I wanted my surgery very badly, and I was determined not to appear depressed in any way during my counseling session. I had to pass to get to the next level.

When it comes to depression, thin people are just as depressed as large or obese people. Everyone has issues and there's no magic to solve any of them.

But when there's severe weight loss, and then weight gain after all that, I just can't imagine not being being even more determined to keep it off. But it does depend what kind of self-medication is used by post bypass patience.

BUT correctly said, food is our (my) "drug of choice". It made me feel good, it made me feel bad. We're the opposite of those who choose to starve themselves as their drug. Those who starve themselves get the "awe" media attention and "what a pity", while large people get "they just don't have any self-control" snipers.

AND not all large people are large because of over-eating.

My metabolism went wonky 20 years ago, and Synthroid for hypothyroidism helped to slow my weight gain, but it could not put the brakes on weight gain altogether. I'm up to 250mcg /day dose, (doctor's say it's high), with a metabolism that's way whacked out.

If it remains the same once I achieve my weight goal, I will be the perfect candidate to put all my weight back on again. So I not only have to be goal oriented being banded, I have a lifestyle to change and maintain forever and I hope my forever is at least 40 more years.

Green- you are so right about the coping mechanism being food. That came home loud and clear for me whenenver I discovered I had a daughter on drugs. I learned very quickly that I was no different than her. My drug of choice was food. Different substance, same problem.

She found a way out 3 years ago now, and she is my biggest supporter for the lapband. She encourages me to go forward, at the same time

warns me about what lies ahead for me with regard to relationships, warns of having expectations that don't pan out and leave me fighting depression, etc., and is helping me decide on something to focus on so I don't replace the food with something just as harmful. I have a feeling I will be depending on her alot.

Green- you are so right about the coping mechanism being food. That came home loud and clear for me whenenver I discovered I had a daughter on drugs. I learned very quickly that I was no different than her. My drug of choice was food. Different substance, same problem.

She found a way out 3 years ago now, and she is my biggest supporter for the lapband. She encourages me to go forward, at the same time

warns me about what lies ahead for me with regard to relationships, warns of having expectations that don't pan out and leave me fighting depression, etc., and is helping me decide on something to focus on so I don't replace the food with something just as harmful. I have a feeling I will be depending on her alot.

Your daughter will be a valuable resource, and helping you will help her; it makes us feel happy when we can happy someone else feel better. ;) I believe that you will have an interesting and pleasant journey with your daughter's company. :biggrin1:

Yep, people who are going to die [morbid obesity]... some just commit suicide.

And some of them get weight loss surgery ... and they still commit suicide.

And some get weight loss surgery THINKING their lives will change... but ... they are still there, still them, and still living the same life. Then they commit suicide.

There was a thread about list 10 things you are going to do after losing the weight...or something like that. Anyone thinking their life will change... is in for a rude awakening.

The only thing that changes is:

take up less cubic inches - clothing size, seat space

pain can lessen (joint/back/etc.)

from morbid obese to not - no meds for comorbids

All underlying issues why someone got fat will still be there.