Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Think I am Addicted to Sugar

I always knew I liked sweets a lot, but know I am realizing that I may be a sugar addict.....BUMMER....Not having sugar is the very most difficult aspect of this whole trip for me. I have a very stressful job which consissts of 95% complaints all day with nasty and pissed off people......(Anyone know any companies hiring in Houston? I DESPISE this job. I've only been there for 6 months and have been looking for another job for 3 months)...I am finding I am running to the candy machine when I get stressed or bored at work. I try not to have things at home so there so I don't deal with the craving much at home, just when I am at work with all the many candy machines.

My new trick is to leave my wallet in the car so I don't have any money to buy any. That seems to be working pretty good for me.

I am eating more now that I am feeling better, so I have gained 3 of the 11 pounds I lost. I go see my doctor on the 20th and sure hope I can get a fill.

Any other Dr. Spivak patients get a fill that early? Please let me know. I am doing great so I don't see any readon why I should not get one. What is the usual time for a fill after surgery gang?

Those carbs are hard to let go of. Is there any healthy Snacks that you can tuck in your purse and take to work? I waited 2 months for my first fill, just my personal decision. You want to be sure that your band is well-anchored (healed) and that you've been on solids long enough before you get a fill (to prevent band slippage).

How about trying some nuts or beef Jerky? ?? I think, in general, the first fill is done at 6 weeks out (if neded). I got my first fill at about 5 weeks though, because I have a 10cm band. Good luck!

Hi. I love sweets, too. My new substitute for candy and sugar is dried fruit. It's got Fiber and Vitamins and is very sweet. Nonfat, sugar-free yogurt is another sweet treat that is healthy.

Sorry about the job situation. You really should find something new. We spend so much of our life at work that it's really important to find something you like.

Nancy

I eat turkey Jerky and nuts whenever I need to grab a snack away from home. The sweet cycle can take over my life if I let it.

It sounds like a good fill and dealing with emotional eating would help most. I still want to eat when I'm stressed or upset. I'm trying to find other ways to meet those needs, but it's a fight for sure.

I have an appointment in one week with a psychiatrist. First, to manage the anti-depressants (or possibly change them) that I've been taking since 1988. The particular one I am on (Pamelor) actually has 'craving sweets' as a side effect. So, we're going to discuss this and possible alternatives or discontinuation. (I wished). In this visit, I hope to attain the name of a good eating disorders/compulsive eating counselor, so that I may begin to attack the 'mind' part of this problem. I think I have gone as far as I can on the mercy of the band. Possibly, I should have attacked this from the beginning, but either way, it is now time I must face the fact that this is one monster I can't slay alone. Also, things in my life have slowed down enough to allow this, at least for a little while. Wish me luck!

That's a good move, Leatha. I think all of us could use that. It is so hard to keep the head on straight with all the emotionally thinking that goes through it. Finding time and a good counselor are major factors. Hope it works for you!

I havent been banded yet so i dont know what good and whats not really.... as of yet any way.... but wouldnt like Trail Mix or a slim fast bar be good???? not to sure...

I'm a sugar lover too, and when PMS strikes I can hardly drag myself from chocolate. I usually deal with my sugar jones by giving into it; I just bought some low-fat fudgsicles that orthodox bandsters would shun, but hey, they get me through the week. The Protein snack suggestions are all fine and sensible, Phyllis, so I probably shouldn't play the demon sitting on your shoulder urging Silhouettes bars -- but if all else fails, give them a try. sugar-free fruit-flavored popsicles are another option, especially if you aren't a chocoholic.