Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

confused, and need advice

Guest brighteyes

Guest brighteyes

hello, i am new to this whole thing, i wanted to ask you all a few questions, i read this web site everyday, and everyday every one on here seems to me doing different things with there surgery, and i am a little scared if maybe i am not doing what i am subpost to be doing.

my surgery is on Jan. 11, my doctor is Dr. Boutt, of port huron hospital in michigan. he has a good record of doing the lap band procedure, so that is about the only thing that i know for sure that i am doing right, is that i chose the right doctor.

he does not have me doing any liquid diet before surgery, only the day before, and on the day of surgery he told me i would not get nothing to drink or eat, only IV's, but the next day i will have a liquid meal, then i would have to drink this dye, for him to see if the liquid went down ok, then i am able to go home, but for weeks one and two, i have to eat a clear liquid diet, and weeks three and four solid liquids, and weeks five and six, soft foods, and grow from there. he told me i can have coffee or tea for my Clear Liquids, regular or Decaf based on individual tolerance, but i should avoid carbonated beverages, concentrated sugars, high calorie liquids.

i am not scared of the surgery itself, just the fact is i dont want anything to happen to me after the surgery i have read so many things, about problems people have had and i dont want to be one of those people, i am 28 years old a mother and they are the most important thing to me in this world and i dont want anything to take me from them for any reason. i have hip dysplasia, so this year on top of having the lap band i am having my hip replaced in september, of this year, so that is one of the reasons why i am getting the lap band done now, so i can lose my weight for my new hip.

please someone write me and let me know how they are feeling, and what should i expect and if they like the lap band, and if they have any problems, plus is what my doctor has me doing is good for me. i really need to put my mind at ease thank you all so much.

Your doctors orders sound very clear and concise and the fact that you seem to understand them is a good thing. Do what the doctor says. :D

I've had some complications, even had to be re-banded. Would I have done it if I was afraid or dis-pleased with my first band? Nope. I would do it once a year if that was the protocol and my insurance would go for it. lol.

Your concerns are very valid and everyone has them, but I can tell you this surgery is so many more times safe than bypass that it's really a cakewalk once you've gone through it and seen what you can do with it. It does require maintenance and constant vigilance, but you will see. It's really a very minor thing compared to bypass and you are so much more in control of your own destiny.

Please continue to read, read, read, all the threads. You will see how everyone feels about their bands, their ups, their downs, but you will not see many who are ready to give their bands up to go back to where they came from. :P Good luck!!

Brighteyes, your dr's instructions sound perfectly normal to me. The reason you see so many different pre-op and post-op diets on here is because every dr is different and has different requirements. The most important thing that you can do is follow YOUR dr's instructions. Good luck with your band journey and your hip replacement!

Hey, girl, you're going to be fine! You're very wise to be researching everything before banding. There is so much to learn. Each doctor seems to have his/her own rules as far as pre-op preparations, post-op rules, fills- scheduling and amount. This is very confusing. But please follow your surgeon's rules. He has reasons for these. We are not medical professionals, but a group of individuals who have been fortunate to receive the band and get back control of our life. If you've been coming here long, you'll find that we share a lot of things. Not all are band related. Best of luck to you on a successful banding and easy recooperation.

One of the reasons I chose to get the band was because I retained a good amount of control over my life afterward. I like that there are different opinions, even though it can get confusing. It gives me the opportunity to mold this new lifestyle to fit me within reason.

I suggest you follow your doctor's advice. It sounds very good. He sounds very conservative, which will keep you and your band very safe. My doctors are fairly conservative and I've done very well following their program. I also did a lot of research and get a lot of advice from other bandsters. That way I can modify my doctor's program and make it work best for me.

I have heard lapband surgery called the "thinking person's weight loss surgery." This is because you are very involved in making it work. It's very natural to be nervous about it for the first few months. Thinking about how to make it work right is the first step toward success.

Brighteyes,

I can totally relate to EVERYTHING you said. I too was banded at Port Huron (but by Dr. Bhesania) on December 7th. Both Boutt and Bhesania follow the exact same protocol though, and I had the same questions you have. But every single post to your thread is EXCELLENT advice. And, Rebeccalee is exactly right. The Port Huron protocol is very conservative.... they do have us on liquids (clear and then full) for a bit loonger than some you'll see, and that is only to allow the stomach more time to heal. The also will not do a fill before 8 weeks... this is also to allow more time for the stomach to heal. When I had my surgery a month ago, between the two doctors, they had performed more than 990 surgeries. So I'm sure it's over 1,000 now and Tammy (the R.N.) told me at my first post-op appointment that they have not seen once case of erosion yet amonst their bandsters. I honestly think that a lot of that can be credited towards their conservativeness.

I think some of the different things you see regarding post-op diet and living has to do with the same type of thing that you would see if you went to Weight Watcher vs. LA Weight Loss or Jenny Craig. The doctors are going to tell you what type of diet and foods you will have the great success with. So, my opinion is to follow the ten bandster rules and what Port Huron tells us to and we'll do great!

I know four people (I have met them through my research) that have been banded by Dr. Boutt, that live in my area (Saginaw, MI). They cannot say enough about the man and how wonderful he is. I haven't heard one negative thing about him!

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions regarding Port Huron! And goodluck on the 11th..... you are going to be fine, I promise!

I have heard lapband surgery called the "thinking person's weight loss surgery." This is because you are very involved in making it work.

I haven't heard this statement. I like it!

That is a Jessie Ahroni-ism. I agree with her. This WLS lets you be in charge. You have to use your own brain to make the choices that will guide you to success instead of having had your innards re-routed and having your body shrink due to malnutrition.

Brighteyes...

Was banded on Aug 10 2004 (5 months tomorrow).. Banded on Tuesday Home on Wednesday and back to work on Friday. Piece of cake. No post surgery trouble and I don't look back. I would also do this once a year if it was needed.

I was at a retirement party for afew hours last nite and there was a lady there who had Gastric Bypass in APril. She was just over 600 pounds and could not walk (5'0 tall). She has lost 170 pounds so far and is now mobile and was getting around real well at party. BUT she had to keep watching everything she eat. I didn't I could have anything I wanted but in moderation and made sure it fit in the meal plan. I even had a very slim piece of cake. She did too and ended up in a corner feeling sick from dumping effect. At her starting weight I guess lapbanding wasn't an option but I'm glad I was able to have it instead of any of the other type surguries.

Good luck on your banding

Brighteyes: Everyone here has said the exact thing I was going to post. Every surgeon has different protocols for pre-op and post-op. Doesn't mean one is better than the other. They all have the same goal in mind and that is to let the stomach heal before introducing solid foods. That is very important to remember. You will do fine with your surgery. I was banded April 6, 2004 (9 mths ago) and have lost 57 lbs to date. That might seem a small amount to some but let me tell you those 57 lbs mean alot to me. If I hit the one year mark and have only lost a total of 60 lbs I will be happy. If I hit the one year mark and haven't lost anymore than the 57 lbs I will be happy. THat is 57 lbs I wouldn't have lost without the band. Any loss is to be celebrated. Any gain is to be celebrated if you are banded. That might sound crazy to say but let me explain. Think about what you would have gained had you not been banded. Then double it. So gaining with the band is still minimal when compared to gaining without the band. Yes it is discouraging but it can be reversed easier with the band than without.

Ok off my soapbox now.

Being banded has opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me. I have not been at this weight for 25 years. How cool is that? And I am more active and healthier than I have been in years.

My prayers will be with you on the 11th.