Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not banded yet... just want to introduce myself

Hello to everyone in the forum. My name is Melissa... I just turned 30 in July. I have been heavy my entire life... about 5 years ago when I was at my heaviest (302) I went on weight watchers and was able to loose 115 pounds with what seemed like minimal effort (it just took me a little over a year). Since them I have put over half of the weight I lost back on. About three years ago I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (Hypothyroidism)... ever since then I have been completly unable to loose weight even though my throid levels are all perfect now. I have tried every diet known to man and I am tired of it!

I've been to see my PCP and he ran all my labwork again and every thing tested great... I am completly healthy on paper. I feel horrible though and I think it is from lugging around all this extra weight. All I want to do is sleep and I am easily winded. My knee is bothering me again that I had surgery on last year. My doctor thinks that the lapband is a great option for me... now I just have to convince my insurance company of that!!! I am getting a sleep study done in the beginning of November. I am attending a seminar this Saturday as well.

I am really excited and after ready some of your stories I think this is really a good option for me. I am getting married May 31, 2008 and I don't want to be a fat bride. I want to be as healthy as I can be for my husband and for the children that we will have as well.

Welcome to the journey, dear. We've all been through the losing and regaining. My struggle, in addition to being obese, is that I have Lupus and every time I have to go on meds, I gain huge! Or used to.....

I'll tell ya...the lap band lifestyle isn't easy, but it's do-able! That's all I ask...a decent chance at success. And to continue to be able to cross my legs!

I just posted my before and after pics. Go take a look!

hello and welcome to LBT(lap band talk)...sounds like you have a great plan lined out..just hang in there and move forward..it is a wonderful journey...I pray that your insurance will pay...some will, some won't...mine didn't...but I can tell you , it is the best thing I have ever done for myself..I would pay another $15,000.00 and do it again...

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to LBT. I'm new here too. I can so understand a lot of what you're feeling. I am turning 30 in march 2008, I am engaged to be married and I too want to lose a significant amount of my weight before we get married (don't want to be a fat bride and don't want to enter yet another phase of my life still struggling to lose weight). I also had good success with weight watchers, then put some of it back on (same as I have with every other diet program) - I am still struggling to lose weight.

Once again, welcome & stick around!

Hi there, I am still trying to decide which insurance to go with to start this process. I hope your insurance lets you go forward, I have been contemplating this surgery for over a year and I have finally decided to go on and try to have this done. I will be 50 in October 2008 and have too many medical problems to mention but I am so looking forward to the life change that would take place once it is done. I lost 55 pounds and gained that back plus more and now can not take it off. I am praying that your insurance covers your surgery so I can breath a little easier on my end. too. I hope you find out soon. Cindy

Hi Melissa. I'm pretty new here too and not banded yet. I went to my first seminar a couple of weeks ago and got my first consultation with the surgeon coming up...well, not until November, but that's okay. I'm spending my waiting time doing a lot of reading and learning about the process. Good luck and welcome!